Why is my 120p footage on my Sony A7R iii so grainy?!

kaseybonez

I understand the principle of dividing the 100mbps over 24 fps is going to yield frames with more information per than the same 100mbps spread across 120 frames.... HOWEVER, I've seen so much beautiful footage from other users that i just cant seem to replicate...

I typically shoot in Slog-2 and thought that maybe that picture profile was adding to my noise problem, so now im just trying to find the best picture profile for slow motion.

Any suggestions? What're your slow motion settings?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, kaseybonez said:

I understand the principle of dividing the 100mbps over 24 fps is going to yield frames with more information per than the same 100mbps spread across 120 frames.... HOWEVER, I've seen so much beautiful footage from other users that i just cant seem to replicate...

I typically shoot in Slog-2 and thought that maybe that picture profile was adding to my noise problem, so now im just trying to find the best picture profile for slow motion.

Any suggestions? What're your slow motion settings?

You probably aren't exposing your S Log 2 correctly, that or your shooting in conditions that are not (Bright Daytime exteriors) which  Slog 2 was specifically made for and excels at. Stuff like lowlight. 

120P takes a lot of light for proper exposure as the shutter speed is correspondingly much shorter than 24P.

Probably ISO or gain ramped to give you decent levels but in doing so ramped the noise. So add light or use

something like Cine2 to mask the noise.

Otherwise noise reduction will soften details.