Sony's new "pro level" APS-C

eyesuncloudedphoto

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Mako Sports said:

if its 10 bit 420 in 4K, FS5mkii and mki user would probably be pissed with that.

Understandable but also silly. Would be good for them once they get past the loss in investment. Much smaller camera delivering what they need. 

I feel like most people using an FS5 need the cinema camera layout not just the image quality. 

Just now, Yurolov said:

Which lenses will you use if you are using canon for birding? Full frame emount are prohibitively expensive to be used on a crop sensor camera.  

Didn’t Sony announce something like a dozen lenses to be released in the next year?

38 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Didn’t Sony announce something like a dozen lenses to be released in the next year?

It will be interesting to see whether some of these are E as opposed to FE (Sony has only released one E mount lens in the past 5 years) and there is a shortage of quality E mount glass.

I think the problem for Sony with the A7000 is that they have to leave a video feature (or two) on the table for the A7siii. 

52 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Yes they made a statement about 12 lenses for next year. That means for the 4th year in a row, Sony will have most lenses released every year since 2015 I believe. 

7 minutes ago, Topcat said:

I wonder if these are the same reliable sources who told them the A7Siii will be released on September 18th and then during Photokina.

I think Sony was going to release the A7siii at photokina but decided to hold off after the FF Panasonic announcement

1 hour ago, Yurolov said:

Which lenses will you use if you are using canon for birding? Full frame emount are prohibitively expensive to be used on a crop sensor camera.  

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'm getting great results from the kit 55-250mm zoom on my 700D.

With the crop it goes to 400mm equivalent, it's small and light, and the IS is really good. The IS is so good in fact that it is usable even when I record video in crop mode in ML where it's a 1200mm equivalent FOV!

21 minutes ago, kye said:

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'm getting great results from the kit 55-250mm zoom on my 700D.

With the crop it goes to 400mm equivalent, it's small and light, and the IS is really good. The IS is so good in fact that it is usable even when I record video in crop mode in ML where it's a 1200mm equivalent FOV!

Sorry I meant if he switches to sony what lenses will he use for birding. I know canon have great options for cheap. 

2 hours ago, Yurolov said:

A good budget option for birding on Sony APSC is adapting a Canon 400 5.6 prime. It is very sharp and sells second hand for about US$800. It is relatively cheap because it doesnt have OIS but obviously you can benefit from ibis with the Sony.

2 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

A good budget option for birding on Sony APSC is adapting a Canon 400 5.6 prime. It is very sharp and sells second hand for about US$800. It is relatively cheap because it doesnt have OIS but obviously you can benefit from ibis with the Sony.

This is the problem though if you adapt you lose all the autofocus benefits that the new sony will have imo - especially for birding. People get apsc often for more reach but often also because there is a discount on the full frame sticker price. However, the only lenses available to utilise the full capacity of sony's apsc cameras are extremely expensive full frame lenses. If i get sony's 100-400 for birding I am paying $1k more than I would for fujis variant (which is expensive itself). That means between the xt3 and the new sony, if the body pricing is the same, I would be paying 1k more for the sony. So I would hope to get 1k more worth of camera (ibisi notwithstanding, that aint going to happen). There's no midrange for sony if you want a hybrid video and photo camera.  

6 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

I think Sony was going to release the A7siii at photokina but decided to hold off after the FF Panasonic announcement

That press event was way too big for just the 24mm lens. Must have been planned for a camera body. But Sony cannot afford small incremental updates anymore, so if a7SIII is being refined further, that can only bee a good thing.

1 hour ago, Yurolov said:

Sorry, to be clear I wasn't speaking in equivelancy. 400mm on a crop. Point being that if I want 400mm for birding, which most will, it costs me 1k more with Sony than Fuji. Makes it a less attractive proposition for bird/sport photographers. 

I’m not a nature photographer, but certainly Sony’s animal eye detect AF (coming soon) must count for something. Also, all the Fuji lenses in my collection have superb construction, but their 100-400 is supposed to be plastic fantastic and closest focus distance isn’t all that impressive. Do you own it? Any thoughts on stabilization, AF, build quality?

9 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Probably an adapted lens like a Sigma 150-600 or Canon 400/5.6L.  I currently have the 300/4L, but it doesn't play well at all with Sony (I've heard the 400 is decent)  The goal would be to pick up a Sony100-400 at some point. But yes, I would love to see Sony release some quality longer/affordable primes like Canon has.

Part of my reasoning is that I moved over to a A73 from a 5D3, and I liked having both APS-C and FF with Canon.  It would be nice to have that again with Sony.  Fuji doesn't really interest me, because I don't want to get into a dedicated APS-C system.