A reminder of how easy we've got things these days...

newfoundmass

Going through old stuff and stumbled across this. What a pain in the ass this could be to use, but damn if I don't have fond memories using it! If all you've ever known is editing on a PC then you don't know what it was like back in the old days! This is what I started on 20 years ago, when I was a 14 year old video geek! 

20180927_214551.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I see your videonics digital video mixer and will raise you a Toaster with Kiki wipes. 

4 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

My broadcasting teacher is always telling me about how when she first started out they were doing linear edited on tape. Honestly sounded like hell.

It required a lot more pre-visualization. It was a skill that was part of the job for an editor. 

5 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

My broadcasting teacher is always telling me about how when she first started out they were doing linear edited on tape. Honestly sounded like hell.

though they did some nice editing with these dinosaurs. nowadays we see the worst hobbiest editing and post work of all time, with all the misused possibilities at hand.

10 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

though they did some nice editing with these dinosaurs. nowadays we see the worst hobbiest editing and post work of all time, with all the misused possibilities at hand.

And we see absolute magic coming from people that wouldn't have been able to operate or afford to make anything on that old equipment.

The old days aren't better, or worse, they are just different. Get over it.

Anyone who has the privilege to be able to do something and is complaining that too many people also have that privilege is just showing fear of being inadequate.  Master artists aren't campaigning for schools to stop giving students access to art supplies!

13 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I see your videonics digital video mixer and will raise you a Toaster with Kiki wipes. 

It required a lot more pre-visualization. It was a skill that was part of the job for an editor. 

When I worked at the local production house I used Video Toaster 3000 but I could never afford to get it on my own for my gigs / work. I was a broke teenager! I liked though how easy the Videonics stuff was to transport, since I did quite a bit of live switching at professional wrestling events. Just needed my two TVs, my VCR, and the 2-3 cameras, along with the cables, and I was good to go!

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

When I worked at the local production house I used Video Toaster 3000 but I could never afford to get it on my own for my gigs / work. I was a broke teenager! I liked though how easy the Videonics stuff was to transport, since I did quite a bit of live switching at professional wrestling events. Just needed my two TVs, my VCR, and the 2-3 cameras, along with the cables, and I was good to go!

Man you had the fancy Toaster 3000?  Lucky guy.  I had the 1st gen.  Internal time base correctors I needed to buy in order to do live switching cost an arm and a leg.  Still, I cut my 3D animation teeth on Toaster's Lightwave, which was cool.  Actually, I still have the thing and the Amiga 2500 in the basement closet.

"Star wipe, and we're out."

On 9/28/2018 at 11:58 AM, Mako Sports said:

On a simpler level, I actually learnt how to use a typewriter at an early age. What a pain that was compared to using a word processor on a computer.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:58 PM, Mako Sports said:

this makes me feel old.  Wait, I am old!  That'll explain it.  Still in 30 years time you may be on a forum saying "i remember the days when...

a) I used to manually edit video rather than telling the editor ai roughly what I wanted".  Or
b) we used to have this thing called "video", it was like VR only flatter...

11 hours ago, leeys said:

My sense of fun differs; as you said, it's a novelty. Try imagine using that for work.

Yeah, I guess so.  It's fun in the sense that you're creating contemporary content, like friendly "How ya doing" correspondence, with an archaic medium and transfer/delivery system.  The crazy is that 20 years ago the internet was still new enough that letter correspondence wouldn't seem odd.  Now?  Brave new world.  But, hell, that's me.  I have still have my grandparent's 78 record collection and a spring wound Victrola.  Nostalgia works better on us old farts.