Zeiss ZX1

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

It's interesting that it has that angled grip like the Sigma DP Quattros. 

I noticed it got the usual losing their shit reaction from commenters on DPReview who'd never buy it anyway.

Which is fast becoming my barometer of what might be interesting to take a look at.

Except that Zenith branded M.

I'm with them on that one.

• Administrators

This is a very curious beast.

37MP sensor with 4K output? Must be a new one, never seen it in anything else before. You'd think Zeiss would use a Sony 42MP or something existing.

Wonder who did the firmware? Bluetooth L.E. is in there!

I think it will live and die by the touch screen user interface, implementation of Lightroom and the price.

The 4K could be interesting if it's not a big crop. RX1R II doesn't have 4K. Neither does Leica Q!

Innovation comes from the little guys. The built in SSD, larger LCD, connectivity, and LR integration is brilliant. I still think it sucks we have cheap 5" phones and 3" screens on $3000+ cameras. SSD's are far cheaper than cards like v90, Cfast and XQD that are being spec'd in current high end bodies. Though I'd want at least one card slot for redundancy, you can have much faster write speeds with internal memory. The video on the Zeiss site looks like the LR CC mobile app, which is great for quick edits, and with this camera you don't have to mess with offloading to your phone with a fiddly adapter or crappy app.

Nice job Zeiss, I hope they sell a lot of them.

With all the new mounts, perhaps they're testing the waters for a ILC too....

Chris

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Lightroom aspect is intriguing because it's obviously a massive hint that its Android and that might mean some interesting 3rd party apps.

Very interested in following how this develops.

Perhaps things like time-lapse, focus stacking and more.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Perhaps things like time-lapse, focus stacking and more.

Integration into Instagram with voice to text to do the caption right off the camera is all within reach if they open it up as well.

I'd like to see them use the usb-c port for an add on cellular module as well to take the phone out of the equation as well with an always on connection. 

Seems ridiculous having to tether to your main phone when it can do it itself.

I bought an Android based voice driven language translator which has a world data sim in it that costs £50 a year and this could use exactly the same sort of thing. 

3 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Zeiss...taking ugly to new heights!!

Really? Man I think it's gorgeous. It's like an Otus became a camera. To each his own.

14 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I do find it amusing as well that after weeks of debate about how many card slots a camera should have, they've gone "Tell you what, how about none." :)

Perfect companion for the newer MacBook Pro's. 

This camera is far from being a great filmmaking tool at this point but I hope this is just the first of more to come. 

Random thought, what if they put an L mount on a newer version. Imagine Leica glass on a Zeiss camera....... hmmm.

1 minute ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Really? Man I think it's gorgeous. It's like an Otus became a camera. To each his own.

Perfect companion for the newer MacBook Pro's. 

This camera is far from being a great filmmaking tool at this point but I hope this is just the first of more to come. 

Random thought, what if they put an L mount on a newer version. Imagine Leica glass on a Zeiss camera....... hmmm.

Pretty much all of the Zeiss cameras look hideous IMO. They all look like someone slapped a few dials and buttons on a rectangular black box and that is it. Not a whole lot of thought went into the aesthetics.

I think it looks brilliant, I love how the back flairs back a touch to make a more solid handgrip. I love the idea of having the editing program right on the camera -- it's pretty much how I use my phone to shoot while I'm on holidays. The only downside I can think of is battery life, unless it packs a massive internal battery there's no way that thing will last very long having to run a full frame mirrorless camera AND a tablet to edit the images.

This is what I am talking about. When I say this japanese industry does not innovate at all. 

Bigger screen, ssd, integrated lightroom and direct share. This should be in our mirrorless cameras for 2 years. 
No they will keep the same button layout and design and screen as 10y ago. 

This camera will be probably niche and expensive, but bravo Zeiss. 

21 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

This is what I am talking about. When I say this japanese industry does not innovate at all. 

Bigger screen, ssd, integrated lightroom and direct share. This should be in our mirrorless cameras for 2 years. 
No they will keep the same button layout and design and screen as 10y ago. 

This camera will be probably niche and expensive, but bravo Zeiss. 

Imagine this in an LX100

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It's interesting that it has that angled grip like the Sigma DP Quattros. 

I noticed it got the usual losing their shit reaction from commenters on DPReview who'd never buy it anyway.

Which is fast becoming my barometer of what might be interesting to take a look at.

Except that Zenith branded M.

I'm with them on that one.

The flash shoe is designed for Sigma flashes too.