FUJINON lenses questions, tips and tricks

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Emanuel said:

@jhnkng Thank you for your post.

I am looking for glass options along a Fuji camera being X-T3 or X-H2 when released. For AF use. Other than that, the upcoming Pocket 4K (touchscreen focus aka tap to focus) is my primary choice, with Panny cams from past already in use or other acquisition tools exclusively for manual focus shooting.

Have you seen that video test up there?

No I hadn't and I'm glad -- if I'd seen that test I might not have bought the X-H1, it looks bloody awful! I couldn't get through all of it, but from the looks of it he's not tweaked any of the settings and it doesn't look much better than the X-T2.

Here's a much better test of the X-H1 AF with the 23/1.4: 

This was also shot on the X-H1 with the 23/1.4, though I don't know if he used AF or not: 

I don’t like how the older Fujifilm lenses sound or feel. Although optically they’re amazing. I love the fujicrons. Especially the 50mm. Super useful and gorgeous lens. 

The 16-55mm 2.8 is indeed really great. I often feel like it has better bokeh than the faster f2 primes despite being one stop slower. 

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely adore my Fujinon 23mm 1.4. It's autofocus is not great but I don't care. The images are wonderful. For street photography, I even take many photos without looking through the EVF or monitor and just focus off the barrel markings and it's been surprisingly reliable. I will only consider replacing it if Fuji bring out a MKII with the same optics and fast autofocus. While the 23mm 2.0 has the fast autofocus, it just doesn't match it for image quality IMO.

I am talking about stills though as that's mainly what I use my X-T2 for (and video when on holidays). Video wise, If you are happy focussing manually, get the 23mm 1.4. If not, why not try the 18-55 2.8-4 'kit lens' with IS. It's surprisingly good as an all rounder.

Thanks @A_Urquhart : ) I wonder about AF going along the 23mm f/1.4 but with the superior autofocus performance from X-T3.

Any takers?

The results can be surprising. I'd also rather have that extra stop for both low light and mainly that unique bokeh from a distinct DOF. Let alone the superior IQ. Pity the noise issue to record audio for video though, isn't it?

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Thanks @A_Urquhart : ) I wonder about AF going along the 23mm f/1.4 but with the superior autofocus performance from X-T3.

Any takers?

The results can be surprising. I'd also rather have that extra stop for both low light and mainly that unique bokeh from a distinct DOF. Let alone the superior IQ. Pity the noise issue to record audio for video though, isn't it?

I've had the 23mm 1.4 since the X-T1. When I bought the X-T2 the AF with the lens got substantially better but the lens' motors are definitely holding it back now. I just don't think they are fast enough, plus they are quite noisy. I really wish Fuji would update all their 1.4 lenses with MKII versions.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:10 PM, Emanuel said:

I wonder about AF going along the 23mm f/1.4 but with the superior autofocus performance from X-T3.

for photo the AF of all lenses is now more consistent. Hunting is reduced a lot. And it's fast. 

In video it depends a lot on the settings. With the right settings and good light, it's pretty smooth with nearly no hunting. But AF is loud as it always was, that's a small problem. Testing quite some lenses, I feel like the older designs like the 23mm f/1.4 or 35.. f/1.4 do benefit the most from the X-T3. That's very likely due to fact, that phase detection is used far more often. 

I have the 23mm f2 and it’s fine. It’s super sharp. Some get hung up on that it’s not very sharp at f2 at close distance (within 1m), which I happen to like for portraits. At normal distances it’s very sharp even at f2.  If you need to get very close it’s very sharp at all distances at f4. 

I find it a bit boring compared to the 35f2 and 50f2. All three were made for the X-Pro 2 and pair wonderfully with that cameras rangefinder. 

I see it as a lens designed for travel and street photography. Stopped down it’s incredibly sharp. Way better than any cheap Canon or Nikon lens.

The 23mm has the fastest focus of any Fujinon I’ve tried, bar perhaps the 16-55. Silent. Weather sealed. 

@Trek of Joy

On 9/27/2018 at 12:16 AM, Trek of Joy said:

The absolute worst AF of all my lenses was the 56, followed closely by the 23/1.4. In good light they're fine - slower and noisy compared to the LM lenses like the 16-55 and 50-140. But in dim light they hunt a lot and are really slow to lock. The 56 was useless at night, I just couldn't get it to lock onto anything. I bought it to use as a low light portrait lens and stopped carrying it because it was just so frustrating in use. Bokeh was gorgeous wide open, it has great rendering, but AF is a chore. My Sony 85/1.8 on the a7r2 and now the a73 is a pretty dramatic difference, much faster and very useable in low light conditions. The 23 wasn't as bad as the 56, its moving a lot less glass so that helps. They're both pretty bad for shooting video because of the noise and the hunting. 

Chris, is your 56mm f/1.2 unit the APD or regular versions?

E : -)

• 1 year later...

With the new XF 16-80mm f/4 R OIS WR what's your priority glass list?

Here's my basics by ascending order other than that one:

XC 35mm f/2

XF 23mm f/2 R WR

XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro

Or replaced by the upcoming Viltrox 23mm, 33mm & 56mm f/1.4 for about 250 bucks each [specs and more info] :

https://www.fujirumors.com/new-fujifilm-x-mount-viltrox-af-lenses-coming-before-march-31/

https://www.fujirumors.com/launch-of-new-fujifilm-x-mount-viltrox-lenses-possibly-delayed-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak/

And yet:

XF 18mm f/2 R

XF 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 R LM OIS (LM justifies for the motor twice the price of XC 50-230mm f/4.5-6.7 OIS II)

Viltrox 85mm f/1.8 STM

Of course, all this without mention the priceless XF 16mm f1.4 R WR (that would theoretically replace the 18mm) one of the most celebrated lenses ever produced or the wider 10-24mm f/4 R OIS for one grand each. Let alone the 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR for that plus an extra half.

Here's more on topic.