I am at Photokina. What would you like me to ask?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Isnt travel video dead? I know I am no longer interested in seeying or making any travel video's anymore (unless its a job). Travel photography I can still enjoy, but I have not seen any good travel film in a long time, or at least the magic has been lost for me. Its all gymbal movement here, flashy transition there, every video looks exactly the same and every location has been shot 1000 times. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I just want a D5700 with D7500 4K video in it

Yup, I love DSLRs so I don’t need mirrorless, and I don’t mind the crop, especially at that price point. 

Look at the M50, a lot of people moan about the crop, but the way I look at it is this... with the M50 I am getting 2 cameras for the price of one. In 1080p, I get all of the automatic goodies in S35 with DPAF and native lenses and then with 4K I’m getting a really nice S16 camera with a bunch of old c-mount options and all for 600 bucks with the kit lens.

If Nikon could do something similar with the D5700, yeah... take my money. I loved my D5500.

3 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Isnt travel video dead? I know I am no longer interested in seeying or making any travel video's anymore (unless its a job). Travel photography I can still enjoy, but I have not seen any good travel film in a long time, or at least the magic has been lost for me. Its all gymbal movement here, flashy transition there, every video looks exactly the same and every location has been shot 1000 times. 

It's not dead if you're shooting for yourself.

I'd say that you'd be pleased to know that my videos have no gimbal movement, no flashy transitions, and don't look anywhere as nice as the professional ones (which I'm working on) but it won't matter at all because they're not publicly available, like much of the work that I think people buy fancy cameras for :)

I suspect that there's a huge market segment out there just shooting for themselves and we have no idea what they're doing or what they're making it with. When I work in a new office for my day job it only takes a few weeks for me to meet someone who has a 5D just to take pictures of their kids at the zoo.

6 hours ago, sanveer said:

@Andrew Reid

Please ask Panasonic whose arse I have to kick for them to revive the GM line and put the Fuji XT3 sensor in it. I can see it as becoming one of the best travel cameras of all time. It just needs some superb marketing. 

And something like this:

https://petapixel.com/2018/09/26/dear-panasonic-a-plea-from-a-photojournalist/

One of the things I love about the GX85 is that I can shoot video with it around my neck, with tethering via the Lumix app, and nobody has a damn idea. I have shot in places that definitely wouldn't allow you to shoot. Just think of something that does 26MP with a camera the size of the tiny GM series. You could take pictures from your phone and you don't even have to look at the EVF or Display. 

• Super Members

In non hot dog related Photokina news....

I had a look at the Laowa cine lens and it looks quite promising. You'd have to waterboard them to get the price out of them though so it may prove to be more expensive than people might imagine.

Erm....

Yeah, I should probably work on my show report game a bit more as I can't remember anything else that really caught my eye.

52 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Hang on...I have remembered something that I saw that caught my eye.

Phil Bloom has a very fetching wooden case for his Macbook.

Here he is calmly dealing with some bark/sap related issue that caused the audio from it not to work in his very well attended live demo. 

20180927_183137-01.jpeg

This should pair nicely with the Philip Bloom woodgrain Pocket Dolly from a few years back.  Really helps you get those organic tones as they say.

Andrew,

If the Nikon Z6 is there: How is the rolling shutter in 4K? How are the video features different from the Z7? Is the video AF comparable between the two? Also your own impressions of the camera :)

I loved the Z7 when I tried it, if the Z6 is similar except the smaller MP still images I want to place a preorder. Thanks!