Panasonic announces the 10-25mm f/1.7 Micro Four Thirds Lens!

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It’s not unreasonably long.

Chief purpose of announcement is threefold - to reassure the Panasonic faithful that m43 is not dead yet; to demonstrate that Panasonic is a leader in innovation; and boasting that it will replace five primes is to prepare buyers for the exorbitant sticker price. 

I’d sooner manually focus than mess around with all those settings. ? 

The paper is illuminating in that it only reinforces the perception that Panasonic never intends to adopt PDAF.

Furthermore, DFD only works with Panasonic/PanLeica lenses - and unlike Sony and Fuji, I’ve never been able to find that magic combination of focal lengths, apertures, optical performance, build quality and price to justify building a set entirely of OEM lenses.

At the risk of repeating myself, it’s taken me years to assemble a hodge-podge of m43 lenses; it took a matter of days or weeks to build a collection of superb Sony and Fuji glass. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, kye said:

I agree and have commented previously in other threads about this.

I'm not sure why but when you go smaller than APSC there are no fast zooms available, and APSC only has the one option.

Oly has the 2 four thirds DSLR f2 zooms that can adapt to M43 14-35 f2 and 35-100 f2

Sigma has the 18-35 1.8 and 50-100 1.8 APSC lenses

Tokina has the 14-20 f2 APSC lens.

Sigma has the 24-35 f2 FF lens.

4 hours ago, noone said:

Oly has the 2 four thirds DSLR f2 zooms that can adapt to M43 14-35 f2 and 35-100 f2

Sigma has the 18-35 1.8 and 50-100 1.8 APSC lenses

Tokina has the 14-20 f2 APSC lens.

Sigma has the 24-35 f2 FF lens.

Those Olympus zooms are interesting, although they are only F4 equivalent.

I didn't know about the Tokina 14-20 F2 - that's an interesting lens although the zoom range seems very short!

The Sigma zooms are great for APSC because they're the direct equivalent of the 24-70 and 70-200 F2.8 pro lenses.  In stills photography they're referred to as The Holy Trinity which is made up of the 14-24 F2.8, the 24-70 F2.8 and the 70-200 F2.8.

But that's my point, there doesn't seem to be a direct equivalent for m43 of those lenses, which would be 7-11 F1.4, 12-35 F1.4 and 35-100 f1.4 

I still wish all the manufacturers put in a high quality digital VARIABLE digital zoom like Sony does with Clear Image zoom.

M43 cameras give their teleconverter modes but they are not variable, just fixed at certain magnifications so can only be used on the fly with zoom lenses really.

With Sony and clear zoom, ANY lens becomes a zoom including super fast lenses and exotics like tilt shift lenses.

Given how good some primes for mirrorless have become, I can imagine if some of the new FF mirrorless like the Nikon Z's or Canon R  would allow something similar that would make them cheaper (that 35 1.8 Nikon Z for instance).

It isn't like they can not do it- I recently had an old small Panasonic consumer camcorder that had a 3500x digital zoom (though that was not great quality).

This is a repost of my old Canon FD 24 1.4 L used as a 2x zoom.      This is hand held with an unstabilized camera and just to give an idea but it is at 1.4 FF so would need a 12-24 f0.75 zoom in M43 or a 16-36 f1 with most APSC cameras.       Would love to do new ones but am without a camera currently.

6 hours ago, noone said:

I still wish all the manufacturers put in a high quality digital VARIABLE digital zoom like Sony does with Clear Image zoom.

M43 cameras give their teleconverter modes but they are not variable, just fixed at certain magnifications so can only be used on the fly with zoom lenses really.

With Sony and clear zoom, ANY lens becomes a zoom including super fast lenses and exotics like tilt shift lenses.

Given how good some primes for mirrorless have become, I can imagine if some of the new FF mirrorless like the Nikon Z's or Canon R  would allow something similar that would make them cheaper (that 35 1.8 Nikon Z for instance).

It isn't like they can not do it- I recently had an old small Panasonic consumer camcorder that had a 3500x digital zoom (though that was not great quality).

This is a repost of my old Canon FD 24 1.4 L used as a 2x zoom.      This is hand held with an unstabilized camera and just to give an idea but it is at 1.4 FF so would need a 12-24 f0.75 zoom in M43 or a 16-36 f1 with most APSC cameras.       Would love to do new ones but am without a camera currently.

One other advantage of clear zoom is that it lets you zoom in and out while using it on many gimbals (including relatively in expensive ones.)

Also read the comments, maybe

Shiznuts 1 week geleden

One zoomring to rule them all! ? That's my whole takeaway from Photokina as well! MFT is still alive and kicking (and not being forgotten) and we're getting a 10-25mm f/1.7! It wasn't said anywhere that it would have OIS (nor is it very typical for the focal length), but if Carol mentions Dual IS 2, it must have I guess. Noice! [..]

Carol Hartfree 6 dagen geleden

Sorry, My Bad! I'm pretty sure the 10-25mm does NOT have OIS. I get so used to saying 'Dual Stabilisation' and there is so much running around me head at Photokina that I got that wrong. I also kept trying to convert the lens lengths on the 'S'lenses! Doh!

Shiznuts 6 dagen geleden

Sure it hasn't. wink-wink. ?