Photokina 2018 Part 1: Panasonic S1 and S1R full frame 4K/60p and Fujifilm GFX 100MP 4K Medium Format. WOW!

Andrew Reid

32 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Exactly my cup of tea. Random AF is rather frightening BTW, even though I concur makes some sense for gimbal use...

And here's some teaser to you ; -)

I do agree random auto focus would be kind of fruitless. Most auto focus is based around a certain area of the image(center or wherever you select). I do a lot of touch auto focusing on the fuji. Object tracking can be super useful though. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Auto focus becomes relevant when it can replace manual focus and be cheaper and easier. Its how technology works. Why walk when you can drive. 

but you know what it's shocking how many people can't walk or drive properly! Technology is great, but regardless of what anyone says it's not the answer to everything.

43 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I do agree random auto focus would be kind of fruitless. Most auto focus is based around a certain area of the image(center or wherever you select). I do a lot of touch auto focusing on the fuji. Object tracking can be super useful though. 

Tracking is actually the most significant difference to the Blackmagic offer : -)

25 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Tracking is actually the most significant difference to the Blackmagic offer : -)

Yeah face detect, eye detect has really changed the way a person can stage shots now. It opens up a lot more natural flowing scenes compared to the blocked off stuff you sort of had to do in the past. Is it fool proof no, but it certainly adds to a persons tool kit that is for sure.

Yeah no continuous AF is sort of a bummer in this day and age even for a Cine camera. DPAF has shown what really is possible, and even Sony has pushed it pretty far with their cameras on tracking. And add this new Canon QPAF maybe coming out soon, wow how good maybe it can be?

43 minutes ago, Dan Sherman said:

but you know what it's shocking how many people can't walk or drive properly! Technology is great, but regardless of what anyone says it's not the answer to everything.

Yes but its becoming everything. Everyone drives now. Heck I'll be out sometimes and there is like no one on the streets. Its all cars. Depends where you live obviously but technology changes everything. There is skill even to using auto focus though as silly as it may sound. 

Panasonic announced an AI auto focus system for their full frame cameras, there is the future.

15 hours ago, androidlad said:

Fujirumor did an interview with Fujifilm manager and he said GFX100MP will use full sensor readout for 4K, no line-skipping or pixel binning. That's a whopping 11664 x 6561 readout from the 4:3 sensor! With over 3x supersampling the images would be clean af!

I think it could actually be a misunderstanding (lost in translation or something) people tend to use the term binning very loosely.

It looks like if the guy wanted to say that the area is the full width of the sensor, so no crop factor applied, that's what was written in the original release.

That's my assessment anyway. Leica S3 will also have full sensor width 4k video, but it's not going to be sampled from all the pixels.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Nikkor said:

@Andrew Reid Hey Andrew, how is the 1080p on the gfx 50s? 5d mk iii? How's the lowlight, the DR, the Motion cadence? Codec? 

All the reviews out there are crap.

I've shot quite a bit of video for first time on the 50S at Photokina, so you'll find out tomorrow or the day after once I've had a chance to edit it. Will be better than 5D Mark III but the codec is quite a basic one and there's no Eterna or F-LOG (at least not yet).

16 hours ago, androidlad said:

Fujirumor did an interview with Fujifilm manager and he said GFX100MP will use full sensor readout for 4K, no line-skipping or pixel binning. That's a whopping 11664 x 6561 readout from the 4:3 sensor! With over 3x supersampling the images would be clean af!

Rolling shutter would be a bit wobbly if it did :)

I think it'll do a high quality pixel binning process like the A7R III and Z7.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, androidlad said:

From GFX100S sensor IMX461 datasheet, the 4K readout is derived from 3884x2912 weighted 3x3 binning using 11bit ADC on the full sensor, maximum frame rate is 30.5fps, rolling shutter is 30ms. The sensor is also capable of line skipped FHD at 60p, HD at 120p.

Could you share the data sheet. The 11bit bit seems pretty kickass. 

4 hours ago, androidlad said:

Why do you think 11bit ADC is kickass? It's a quality compromise for readout speed. X-T3 sensor IMX571 operates at 12bit in video mode.

IMX461AQR-C_DataSheet(0.4.0)_171121.pdf

Hahaha. It was a joke. Many Sony sensors do full res at 30fps and over (some in 12-bit). Even the GH5 sensor does full res at 60fps. Though I am not sure that it's 12-bit. 

This particular document is so freaking LONG. But it does seem interesting, and the sensor vacillate between 16-bit and 11-bit with mention of some kind of global shutter mechanism too. Anyways too freaking LONG and I don't wanna read it from my phone.

Thanks for sharing.