Solution for banding in Youtube upload

kaylee

Hi Pals!!

Well, I'm on the road to making a lil film, and my render out of Resolve looks pretty good, but when I upload it to Youtube, guess what...? ?

YOU GUESSED IT THE BANDING IS HORRIBLE

Unfortunately, my short has a bunch of dark shots, and this is obviously where the problem lies. The daylight exposure shots look fine.

So, what do I dooo?? I think the short answer is add noise/dither? I've pulled this off with stills but NOT with video.

What are the specific methods you guys use to combat this mess??

The first test upload seriously ruined my film so i haveta figure out something ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yeah thanks guys thats what im doing. i uprezzed the whole thing using Resolve's super scale from 1080p to UHD, and it look surrprisingly good _ awesome feature~!

ill just experiment with uploading the problem scenes like u said @kye

runnin it thru after effects with a 4% noise adjustment layer added in 32bit color seemed to help a lot... ill experiment lol

19 hours ago, kaylee said:

runnin it thru after effects with a 4% noise adjustment layer added in 32bit color

update: that WORKED! banding has been more or less annihilated 

the color saturation seems to be a bit low in the darker scenes on youtube. looks ok tbh but ill work on that...

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

UH OH~!

i forgot that the youtube app doesnt go above 1080p on a phone (right?), so ppl on mobile will not see the 4k version, theyll see the 1080p version that looks TERRIBLE

OH NOES!!! ?

I've had the frustration of discovering this as well. I thought about it and I don't think there's much that can be done.

I was going to do a follow-up test to see if a high quality 1080p upload would look better at 1080p than a 4K upload at 1080p, but was so frustrated with it I didn't bother.

Facebook video is worse, with the video starting by default at 240p or something. I discovered why too, the channels with huge subscriber counts get high bitrates at the start of the video! Hooray for capitalism!

hmmm i see...

yes im doing some tests, and it seems the safe thing for youtube is (1) no gradients, and (2) no dark shots. unfortunately my film is full of both.

speaking of capitalism, i would have to start paying vimeo ~$50~ a month to upload this amount of data~! ? 

5 hours ago, Snuff said:

some great info there, thanks~! definitely answers SOME of my questions

i hate youtube so much... if everybody was using a computer like me, itd be ok, but normal people watch stuff on tablets and phones, and thats never the same.

if i go on an ipad to my video on youtube and force the desktop site so that it DOES play in 4k, its still murdered by compression that shouldnt be there if its the "4k" file – outrageous banding~! infuriating!! not the same at all!!

any thoughts on that guys? like i know at the end of the day its about accepting a happy medium but...

theres so many darker shots in my short. i was so happy when i finally wrestled resolve into a grade that looked nice with little to no banding, but its TRAPPED INSIDE MY COMPUTER ARRrrrgghhh

• 2 weeks later...

hi pals

just wanted yall to know that i found a pretty good solution... so my short looks ok on youtube now

ive found that there is no way around some horrid banding on dark gradients when uploading 1080p, which is NOT converted to vp9 on upload... but SOME 1080p videos absolutely are vp9, ones with lots of views. so, i dont know how to get that to happen, but in lieu of that...

uploading in 4k more or less solves this problem. i mean, there's still issues, but its a dramatic improvement. i experimented with adding noise, and that didnt seem to help any

ALSO, i found that the gamma setting for my resolve timeline was screwing me up: under project settings, resolve had the timeline color space set to Rec.709 Gamma 2.4, i switched it to 2.2 and got a much more accurate interpretation by youtube 

thank you for your concern. but that member is no longer with us, and tbh i dont think he meant any harm, i just dont wanna be sent pictures of girls named kaylee that say IS THIS YOU???? u kno lol. im trynna stay under the radar on here

this is the only place on the internet where i just act like myself. im just trynna learn ya feel