Camcorder for Narrative Filmmaking

mercer

1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Sorry @mercer for the brief off topic question, but I am likely going to produce some real estate videos in the near future and am looking to do some research on well crafted real estate videos. @Jadesroom could you point me in the direction of some good ones?

No problem, I don’t mind off topic discussions. The information that can be gathered from impromptu questions are often invaluable.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

You might want to consider using a viewfinder app for your phone like the Cadrage one.

cadrage_screenshot.png.c245a8684c7413b632b4052c439bf31c.png

It simulates the FOV you will get from all different formats and lenses so you can quickly get a preview of what you are going to get before you set all your real gear up.

It works with the common wide angle adapters on the phone as well to simulate much wider lenses.

It might be useful in your situation as well @kye as I know you like to keep stealthy so would delay the moment at which you get your real camera out of the bag in the situation you described above ;)

https://www.cadrage.at

Thanks for this! That app looks great. You are probably the most helpful member on this site!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@BTM_Pix I didn’t want to clog up the P4K thread with Cinecorder talk... but @webrunner5 shared this C100 video with me and when I am ready to buy, if I ever do, I have to add the C100 to the mix...

I’m really going to try and resist any temptation because I already own a camera I love, but the added features of cinema cameras and camcorders really does call out to my run and gun nature... for certain projects.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix I didn’t want to clog up the P4K thread with Cinecorder talk... but @webrunner5 shared this C100 video with me and when I am ready to buy, if I ever do, I have to add the C100 to the mix...

I’m really going to try and resist any temptation because I already own a camera I love, but the added features of cinema cameras and camcorders really does call out to my run and gun nature... for certain projects.

I was discussing with @Andrew Reid at the show the other day about someone making an s35 camcorder and how I thought Fuji would be ideal basing it around the X-T3.

But I've been subsequently been thinking about having an attempt at cinevising something like the A6500.

And when I say something like the A6500, I actually mean my A6500 ;)

I think it's a capable and compact enough building block to make something pretty interesting with.

God knows I'll have to do something with it because I can't stand it as it is !

On 9/24/2018 at 9:39 AM, mercer said:

Thanks, that was helpful. If I do go this route, I am leaning toward the Sony, out of those two, due to the 10bit 1080p. How is the 10bit?

Sorry didn't see this earlier, I don't shoot a lot of 1080P stuff for normal speed as I really like the flexibility and sharpness of the 4K, however as a sports videographer I do a lot slowmotion, 1080P 120fps 50mbps 10 bit 422 looks really really good as long as the lighting is decent. I recently updated my reel. All of the shots before :46 are with the Z90 

• Super Members

I think even at retail prices of addons the X-T3 is less than £1500 worth of additions from being a very capable cinema camera base, so Fuji should be able to bring it in as an integrated product for well under £3K.

They won't though, just to spite us ;)

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think even at retail prices of addons the X-T3 is less than £1500 worth of additions from being a very capable cinema camera base, so Fuji should be able to bring it in as an integrated product for well under £3K.

Price it sub $3K and it will be competing hard against the C100 mk3 / FS5 mk3 of the future and will blow them out. 

Go higher and then it is a tough job against FS7 / EVA1 /  UMP etc

On 9/29/2018 at 6:13 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I was discussing with @Andrew Reid at the show the other day about someone making an s35 camcorder and how I thought Fuji would be ideal basing it around the X-T3.

But I've been subsequently been thinking about having an attempt at cinevising something like the A6500.

And when I say something like the A6500, I actually mean my A6500 ;)

I think it's a capable and compact enough building block to make something pretty interesting with.

God knows I'll have to do something with it because I can't stand it as it is !

What are you thinking of?

IIRC it's a nice camera but had some significant flaws, RS comes to mind.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Price it sub $3K and it will be competing hard against the C100 mk3 / FS5 mk3 of the future and will blow them out. 

Go higher and then it is a tough job against FS7 / EVA1 /  UMP etc

A C100iii would be a fascinating thing to see. Of course the interesting part would be how crippled it was.

Even if it was the same ILC / S35 form factor but matched the digital specs of the XC10 / XC15 that would be great. Including 4K60 and IBIS would make people pee themselves with excitement at the announcement event.

The more that I think about it, the more I realise that a tiny cinema camera fits my needs better than a hybrid, but of course the lack of IBIS in "cinema" cameras is an ongoing issue.

Maybe I should do another review of the ILC camcorder options again.

• Super Members
12 hours ago, kye said:

XLRs, variable ND, bringing out some key functionality onto switches to mimic camcorder ergonomics (switchable ISO and White Balance for example), a handgrip with thumbstick control of aperture, rec start and clear image zoom, power pack for longer run time and cooler running.

And some other bits.......

All contained in an outer case to make it look integrated.

I will incorporate a special anti RS function which will shut the camera down if someone attempts to do a whip pan of a moving train.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

XLRs, variable ND, bringing out some key functionality onto switches to mimic camcorder ergonomics (switchable ISO and White Balance for example), a handgrip with thumbstick control of aperture, rec start and clear image zoom, power pack for longer run time and cooler running.

And some other bits.......

All contained in an outer case to make it look integrated.

I will incorporate a special anti RS function which will shut the camera down if someone attempts to do a whip pan of a moving train.

Sounds great, but don’t forget an ice maker.

16 hours ago, kye said:

A C100iii would be a fascinating thing to see. Of course the interesting part would be how crippled it was.

Even if it was the same ILC / S35 form factor but matched the digital specs of the XC10 / XC15 that would be great. Including 4K60 and IBIS would make people pee themselves with excitement at the announcement event.

The more that I think about it, the more I realise that a tiny cinema camera fits my needs better than a hybrid, but of course the lack of IBIS in "cinema" cameras is an ongoing issue.

Maybe I should do another review of the ILC camcorder options again.

It’s unlikely you’ll see a cinema camera with IBIS. The closest you will get is the GH5. It’s getting an AF update, so you may be set. 

I’ve seen some amazing work done with the XC10, so you may have what you need already. Or you could grab a GX10 for 4K 60p at a more manageable data rate with DPAF. Add an M50 to your kit with the 22mm and you can have the best of both worlds. The M50 for close ups and the GX10 for everything else.