GoPro Hero 7 with Hypersmooth stabilization

wolf33d

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I think from what I have seen so far it may even top smartphone footage, especially for stabilization.

That is kind of their direct competition in a way.

I have a love/hate relationship with my gopro, compared to everything else is absolutely terrible, but when you need it no other tool will do.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, kye said:

That is kind of their direct competition in a way.

I have a love/hate relationship with my gopro, compared to everything else is absolutely terrible, but when you need it no other tool will do.

What model have you ? I had the exact same view for all my gopros except the 6. Very pleased when I watch the footage. Very usable and as always as you say you use it when no other tool will do. 

I mean what else am I gonna use for a situation like this from yesterday, a GH5 strapped on my chest? :)

GPTempDownload.thumb.jpg.770146f3ddb33d5f2597938f1f7a1c74.jpg

9 hours ago, wolf33d said:

What model have you ? I had the exact same view for all my gopros except the 6. Very pleased when I watch the footage. Very usable and as always as you say you use it when no other tool will do. 

I mean what else am I gonna use for a situation like this from yesterday, a GH5 strapped on my chest? :)

wolf33d you da man  :)

personally if it were me i'd have a couple of inflated tire tubes strapped to my chest  not a gopro, judging that still  lol

my endevours aren't nearly as exciting as yours lately i  have been playing around with this set up i have yet to add the gopro 6 sound adapter to the frame. i use the bike bell to sync up the videos for comparisons

i have the gopro 4 silver and the gopro 6 black  i think their great for what they do.i may not win a lot of fanboys  for confessing a fondness for the gopro but who cares

the colour on the 6 doesn't pop like the 4 does, but i find the 6 closer to a normal  look

there's a letus anamorphic adapter on the gopro 4 as well

steadycam5.jpg

22 hours ago, Deadcode said:

You guys are even real? ?

Vimeo is using 12-15 VBR codec to compress 1080p footage. And hyperlapses require much higher bitrate then usual.

Why dont you check normal footages with higher resolution...

Thanks for the links!  Some of the 4K hyperlapse in those videos do look better, but the ones with a lot of detail are pretty similar to the Vimeo one, and some are worse.  Of course some of this is no doubt down to YT and Vimeo's crappy bitrates, so maybe when we can get some original files we can see how much of this is the camera.

100% crop from 4K framegrab:

GoPro7_YT_02.thumb.jpg.e5792f94177d5f3cf40654a0b96d05ed.jpg

17 minutes ago, tellure said:

Thanks for the links!  Some of the 4K hyperlapse in those videos do look better, but the ones with a lot of detail are pretty similar to the Vimeo one, and some are worse.  Of course some of this is no doubt down to YT and Vimeo's crappy bitrates, so maybe when we can get some original files we can see how much of this is the camera.

100% crop from 4K framegrab

Want to see good looking image from Hero 7?

Check this handheld shot

And yes, the banding still occurs because of the youtube compression. 

13 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I have the Hero 3. Old but still going.

I use it for immersion in water, so any time there's swimming on a holiday such as snorkelling, or for parties where the wide angle lens is useful.

I shot these two videos on the Hero 3 and iPhone 8.

@webrunner5 I used to use the gopro as a camera when it started to rain, but the iPhone is now water proof, and I used to use it for wide angle photos but now the iPhone has panoramic mode so that's been taken over as well.

I'm contemplating replacing it with the Sony action camera with the OIS. As good as digital IS is, if a frame is blurred due to motion during the exposure then there's no recovering from that, and considering how poor the ISO is on these cameras they go to long shutter speeds in basically every situation except direct sunlight.

14 hours ago, Deadcode said:

Want to see good looking image from Hero 7?

Check this handheld shot

And yes, the banding still occurs because of the youtube compression. 

Yeah that does look great for a $400 camera.  The stabilization is great and color and sharpness look good.  Beautiful parallaxing with that epic mountain backdrop.

Seems like hyperlapse is the main culprit in the earlier videos.. when so much of the image is changing frame-to-frame these low bitrate streams can't keep up.

On 9/21/2018 at 3:21 AM, sanveer said:

4. For last 2-3 generations they don't seem to have changed the sensor. It's like they regurgitating stuff now.

Hero6 was a brand new censor so they weren't sharing it with other companies biting off them. This is the same sensor.

Just opened my Hero7. Will post when I have time to shoot with it.

6 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

Alright, I can confirm that Hypersmooth is pretty awesome. My coworker and I just ran through the office with it. It takes a second to activate, but when it does, at full sprint, it's really smooth. I'm doing more real world tests over the next day and I'll upload my findings and share them.

Cool, thanks for reporting. 

Ordered mine via their $100 off when you trade in an old camera. I literally bough a $10 10 year old compact camera, sent it (prepaid label) to GoPro and I am getting it for $299. This rocks. 

Man that thing is getting harder and harder to not buy it. I have not seen any really bad footage out of it. Is it a Arri, well no, but it sure beats any smartphone stuff I have seen. I guess the one downside is any real ability to have a telephoto lens of sorts. It is really only go wide or go home LoL. But for travel stuff that is really a pretty good way to go.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Man that thing is getting harder and harder to not buy it. I have not seen any really bad footage out of it. Is it a Arri, well no, but it sure beats any smartphone stuff I have seen. I guess the one downside is any real ability to have a telephoto lens of sorts. It is really only go wide or go home LoL. But for travel stuff that is really a pretty good way to go.

I don't miss being able to zoom with it, but I guess it's the way I shoot. Doesn't enter my mind when shooting with a GoPro. You can zoom with the cam but there's a loss in quality.