Sony A7iii 4k in post-production

plucas

Hi,

A few people have commented that Sony's codec makes 4k editing a bit tougher and longer than say Canon's on the M50.

Matti Haapoja also commented that it made his post-production work a decent bit harder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmL19fSQCMA

If I found editing the Canon M50's MP4 files not too bad (albeit a little tough) on a Microsoft Surface Book i7 (Intel[R] Core[TM] i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.11 Ghz with 8GB ram), how usable (or not) would the Sony A7iii's 4k codec be?

Will the Sony A7Siii likely have the same codec?

Kind regards,

Paul

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’ve got no idea what he’s gone and done, but Matti’s managed to make Sony’s AF malfunction worse than just about any camera on the planet in that video. ?

Is he using some ten dollar lens and adapter? I didn’t see any info in the description. Might help too if there wasn’t rain all over the lens.

Was he intentionally trying to make the camera look bad, or are all of his videos hastily thrown together like that one seems to be?

He says it’s taken him a long time to get used to the camera, but aside from the convoluted menu system, coming from Panny and Fuji (whose menus are both complicated too), I’ve found shooting with the a7 III to be pretty straightforward.

I always transcode X-AVC to ProRes, which takes just seconds on my 2017 iMac.

Why not just download some clips or borrow a friend’s camera and see how your computer handles the files yourself? Or PM me, and  I’d be happy to send you some clips.

Edit: I just read the comments section and most seem to agree that he’s clueless. ?

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’ve got no idea what he’s gone and done, but Matti’s managed to make Sony’s AF malfunction worse than just about any camera on the planet in that video. ?

Is he using some ten dollar lens and adapter? I didn’t see any info in the description. Might help too if there wasn’t rain all over the lens.

Was he intentionally trying to make the camera look bad, or are all of his videos hastily thrown together like that one seems to be?

He says it’s taken him a long time to get used to the camera, but aside from the convoluted menu system, coming from Panny and Fuji (whose menus are both complicated too), I’ve found shooting with the a7 III to be pretty straightforward.

I always transcode X-AVC to ProRes, which takes just seconds on my 2017 iMac.

Why not just download some clips or borrow a friend’s camera and see how your computer handles the files yourself? Or PM me, and  I’d be happy to send you some clips.

Edit: I just read the comments section and most seem to agree that he’s clueless. ?

Very well said and totally agree.. He is close friends with Peter Mckinnon who was pseudo-sponsored by Canon, so....  ?‍♂️

I like Matti's content in general and think he's a great guy, but no one is above bias... Not even us Sony users ;)

Editing Sony's native h264 X-AVCS is definitely slow for me even on a high-end PC / GPU combo in Premiere.  Scrubbing isn't instantaneous and re-positioning the play head and pressing play takes a half second to a second to start playback.  So like jonpais I also transcode now to ProRes proxies (1080p) to get fast editing.

@jonpais Matti made an interesting comment in the first A7iii video he made (in Maui I think) about using some strange focus mode, centre-weighted perhaps.

I suspect that he thinks like a long-term Canon user and is trying to use the Sony like a 2012 Canon and has therefore crippled it very significantly, instead of turning on all the 2018 goodness and letting it do its thing.

I personally find this type of mentality common on this forum, with the reluctance (or open hostility) for any automatic features of any kind.

On 9/19/2018 at 4:51 PM, plucas said:

Hi,

A few people have commented that Sony's codec makes 4k editing a bit tougher and longer than say Canon's on the M50.

Matti Haapoja also commented that it made his post-production work a decent bit harder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmL19fSQCMA

If I found editing the Canon M50's MP4 files not too bad (albeit a little tough) on a Microsoft Surface Book i7 (Intel[R] Core[TM] i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.11 Ghz with 8GB ram), how usable (or not) would the Sony A7iii's 4k codec be?

Will the Sony A7Siii likely have the same codec?

Kind regards,

Paul

The codec is supposed to be the same (XAVC-S) as on other 100mb cameras, like my Sony a6500 when shooting in 4K.

I find it pretty easy to edit 4K footage in resolve because of the automatic Cache feature (as @Inazuma alluded to) and the ability to create proxy files in 1080p if I need to.

i7-6700 @ 3.4GHZ, 24MB RAM, win 10 64-bit, 256GB SSD, GTX 960 2GB version