Fuji X-T3 may feature Samsung sensor, as South Korean giant gears up to supply 8K FULL FRAME sensors to Japanese

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, seattledv said:

If it’s a Sony sensor then why wasn’t the rumored Sony a7000 released BEFORE the XT-3 so as to upstage Fuji’s effort?

This is not how it works. Nikon D800 had the 36mp base sensor before the first gen. a7R. The 24mp APS-C sensor was also used in the D7100 and Pentax K-3 before the a6000. Sensors in the D5 and D500 are proven to be manufactured by Sony too (and never used in any sort of Sony cameras). 

We are always talking about the "base" chip, not the actual (brand) implementation. Finally, this could be a Sony-manufactured, Fuji-spec sensor, like the one in the D850, though I doubt it. 

12 minutes ago, seattledv said:

If it’s a Sony sensor then why wasn’t the rumored Sony a7000 released BEFORE the XT-3 so as to upstage Fuji’s effort?

I would assume it is a Sony sensor (custom built for Fuji) but I guess we will eventually find out.

Most of the rumors about the A7000 (or whatever its name is going to be) suggest that it will be a sensor using Sony's stacked cmos technology only previously seen on the Sony A9 (which is why the camera is sometimes referred to as a 'mini A9'). This will enable very fast sensor readout which should result in very high frame rates and virtually zero 'rolling shutter' (even with a fully electronic shutter.)

So, when it is released, the specs of the A7000 should upstage the XT-3.

I'm sure folks have posted this new short film shot with the Fujifilm X-T3, but here it is anyway. This film is beautiful, and I think Andrew is right about it being a Samsung sensor. Footage from this camera is nothing like previous Fujifilm cameras. It really has a Samsung NX1 feel about it. And I shot hundreds of hours of footage with an NX1 and sold it about 2 weeks ago. I loved my NX1, and it was great for many years, but the macro blocking finally made me sell it. This new improved sensor looks like a major evolutionary step. Samsung must have had some help with the processor too. Only a few companies and Samsung is one of them, has the technology for so much horsepower from a tiny chip.  Also, these images do not look like Sony sensor, in my opinion. Check out old NX1 videos and you will see the similarities. Anyway, enjoy.

Thank you for the video ! I'm an early adopter and still user of the NX1, and have been waiting for a replacement, but haven't found anything to make me want to change yet.

I'm not a big fan of the texture and motion of this video personaly. I hate to use this expression because most of the time it doesn't mean much, but I found it to look very videoish - not filmic at all... I'm not sure about the dynamic range since the blacks are pretty crushed but the highlight rolloff intrigues me.

Would be happy to have the community opinion on this Fuji :) 

Great day everyone, with hopefully very interesting revelations from Panasonic...

1 hour ago, neosushi said:

Thank you for the video ! I'm an early adopter and still user of the NX1, and have been waiting for a replacement, but haven't found anything to make me want to change yet.

I'm not a big fan of the texture and motion of this video personaly. I hate to use this expression because most of the time it doesn't mean much, but I found it to look very videoish - not filmic at all... I'm not sure about the dynamic range since the blacks are pretty crushed but the highlight rolloff intrigues me.

Would be happy to have the community opinion on this Fuji :)

Great day everyone, with hopefully very interesting revelations from Panasonic...

I agree, looks video'ish. But I think its more the production then the camera, but I'd say that about almost anything. For me the cinema look comes from professionals who have the knowledge and budget to make it happen. Glass definitely plays a part as well.

• Administrators

Does anyone really think a Fujifilm sales ambassador is going to know where the sensor comes from, let alone tell everyone?!

Remember that companies deny things all the time.

Samsung denied they were leaving the camera market ?

The video posted above looks great. But I do get what you people mean when you say it looks a bit video-y. I think that comes down to 

1) How contrasty it is - particuarly in the mids and blacks in the outdoor scenes. When you compare it to Westworld (which is shot on film), you can see there's more of a rolloff there. 

2) 4k detail. Honestly I think there are few examples out there where 4k does not diminish the "filmic" feel of an image. Even the Blackmagic Pocket 4k image looks quite generic to me.