Fuji X-T3 may feature Samsung sensor, as South Korean giant gears up to supply 8K FULL FRAME sensors to Japanese

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

x-t3-rig.jpg

Back in June I reported on the joint sensor development between Fuji and Samsung. You can read all about that ISO Cell project here. This was 100% not a rumour.

Now you may look at the X-T3 and wonder where the new 26MP sensor comes from.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

guess it should be noted in related news that canon are also looking at 8K for an EOS R cine cam:

Can we support 8K in the future?

Mr. Kiyota : We are assuming 8 K as an EOS R system. However, regardless of specialty fields such as broadcasting stations, there is a doubt that ordinary users need 8K in the first place. Even if you can shoot, there are issues such as whether there is a device that displays 8K, what to do with heat treatment, how to handle handling deterioration due to enlargement of file size, so carefully consider including those points first I think that it is necessary to go.

Canon EOS R development confidential stories

out on a limb here but could samsung also be the answer to canon's ageing sensor tech status? didn't they license dual pixel AF to samsung smartphones?

13 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Now if Pana can get DPAF tech from Samsung that would be a winner

They wont get it. Samsung licensed DPAF from Canon for use in their cell phones. That in turn was sublicensed to Sony in order for them to manufacture some sensors for Samsung's Galaxay line of cell phones. Licenses like that don't let you use the technology for anything else other than the agreed to use, so, you are not going to see it in sensors Samsung or Sony make for cameras.

My guess would be that Samsung will be back in the image sensor business for ILCs one way or another within a couple of years. There are likely to be too many opportunities.

And in all likelihood Canon will be out of the image sensor fabrication business within 5 years and bring the major consumer in the market to the table. Their sensor fabrication business has been in decline for a long time and if anything their tech is moving further and further behind Sony.

I guess we'll know soon enough if the X-T3 sensor is a Samsung produced one. If the forthcoming Sony a7000 (or whatever they call it) has the same mp count and features, it is a Sony sensor (or based upon one). As it happened so many times in the past. 

I'm personally very much in favor of competition in this arena and Samsung certainly has some highly impressive technology. Let's wait and see. 

Two people I know on the sensor industry who have delt with Sony SemiConductor as customers have told me that companies HATE buying from Sony. They dont like signing Sony's contracts of sale. Sony demands from customers ALL the major specs of your camera BEFORE they price and agree to sell you their sensors. In other words, they just dont sell their chips "blindly" to anybody. They want to know "what" its going into and lock all of that into the contract so you cant change it at a later date without Sony approval. Many companies dony like giving Sony their specs upfront and having that locked into a contract. But hey.....if you want access to huge Sony pattents, you gotta play ball with them. Maybe Samsung and TowerJazz can attract customers away from Sony because they have no camera manufacturing interests to compete with their customers products.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Nukunukoo said:

If Samsung did make the sensor, then why did they lower the resolution from it’s almost 5 year old 28MP BSI sensor? Not that big a difference and do not justify a faster readout on an engineering point of view.

Low light performance and speed, and to segment it off further from a possible 30MP+ APS-C sensor they also probably have in the range.

1 hour ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

I guess we'll know soon enough if the X-T3 sensor is a Samsung produced one. If the forthcoming Sony a7000 (or whatever they call it) has the same mp count and features, it is a Sony sensor (or based upon one). As it happened so many times in the past. 

I'm personally very much in favor of competition in this arena and Samsung certainly has some highly impressive technology. Let's wait and see. 

Yes that would be a good way to find out.

Still hoping for a tear-down article somewhere though.

If TechInsights can get one, they will x-ray the sensor,  inspect under an electron microscope and map out the entire foundry of the chip. They will tell us exactly where it comes from. 

They do this all the time and these guys were the ones that busted the; "Yes, the GH5 sensor is our very own Panasonic sensor" myth!

I believe they were the ones that fingered the Nikon D850 as a Sony chip too. Even though everybody said it was a TowerJazz.

CT