Wolfcrow

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

This post should be taken as friendly advice to all YouTubers.

In the video above he says "I do not get cameras for free. I buy all the cameras I review".

In the next video, on the Pocket 4K camera he says it is the final retail version, and starts unboxing it.

There is not a single disclosure about it being sent to him for free by Blackmagic expressively for a review.

This is known as "sponsored content".

In fact, Wolfcrow has broken US law without even knowing it.

The FTC (Federal Trade Commission) says that all sponsored content should disclose the relationship with the manufacturer.

If you don't clearly label it as such, in the description for example, it is punishable by law with a huge fine and legal action.

This is NOT me being "sour grapes" about Blackmagic again (although I SUPER pissed off they lied to me about camera reviewers not being sent units). I like Wolfcrow's channel.

But if he is going to say "I never get a camera for free", and then suddenly he goes against his word and has a pre-release camera from Blackmagic, he should disclose it. Right up-front, start of video, clear as can be. End of story. No discussion. Just do it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Where?

"Hi my name is... I want to unbox the cinema camera...I want to walk you through the features, my first impressions of it...so let's get down to unboxing the camera...As you can see it's a retail box, this is probably the final production version..."

Already 1 min in.

"So welcome message from Blackmagic...Resolve studio...I'll have to install this"

"We have a battery...."

2 min in.

"Next up.... finally the camera... it's bigger than GH5"

Ah finally at around 3.30 he says he's been given it by Blackmagic.

It should be right at the start and in the description much clearer.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

This post should be taken as friendly advice to all YouTubers.

In the video above he says "I do not get cameras for free. I buy all the cameras I review".

In the next video, on the Pocket 4K camera he says it is the final retail version, and starts unb

There is not a single disclosure about it being sent to him for free by Blackmagic expressively for a review.

This is known as "sponsored content".

In fact, Wolfcrow has broken US law without even knowing it.

The FTC (Federal Trade Commission) says that all sponsored content should disclose the relationship with the manufacturer.

If you don't clearly label it as such, in the description for example, it is punishable by law with a huge fine and legal action.

Apart from the fact that he does disclose that BM sent him the camera for free why the fuck should he care about the FTC any more than you or I would? He lives in Mumbai.

There's a check box on YT to specify if the video contains sponsored content or not, IIRC.  Along with a bunch of others like if children appear and if everyone has been paid appropriately I think.

No idea if a review sample meets their requirements or not.

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

Apart from the fact that he does disclose that BM sent him the camera for free why the fuck should he care about the FTC any more than you or I would? He lives in Mumbai.

He could be in trouble with YouTube's guidelines on sponsored content as they have to comply with the FTC. Don't know if you've noticed but YouTube is American ?

If he doesn't care about the FTC, I think he should at least care about keeping to his "I only review cameras I buy myself with my own money" word...

But anyway, I like his channel. I am just trying to point out a few ethical issues and give him a small tip.

I'd like to meet Wolfcrow one day... Awesome cinematic knowledge.

58 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

(...)

But anyway, I like his channel. I am just trying to point out a few ethical issues and give him a small tip.

Glad you come adding your voice here : ) As you've probably noticed, I had already added mine earlier today to praise his helpful website and seems not everyone is willing to give the due credit to merit -- a fact, as recently happened with the infamous Manchester episode -- some other fact.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Agree wholeheartedly.. so refreshingly unpretentious man and so modestly noble and politely humble in presentation, without different kinds of aggressive quasi friendly affectation.

Not to mention his so nicely passionate devoting examples of artistic and technical vivisection of movies in general, camera works, used lenses, lighting etc.