Jump to content
Andrew Reid

I WILL be getting a Fuji X-T3!

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Video auto-ISO... min & max?

After a run & gun shoot, I got back to the computer and noticed I had some pretty noisy video in one sequence where it got pretty dark. Reflecting on the conditions, it’s not strange. It must have used a very high ISO. So, it doesn’t look like auto-ISO in video respects the max-sensitivity that you set in the photo section.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set the max ISO for video or even just to see a continuous readout of the ISO in use, and not just “AUTO”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, colepat said:

@thephoenix I don't think you can live view LUTs on the Fuji XT3. It does offer a view assist but it's just a standard rec.709 conversion. 

Does it ? Because I haven’t found it in the menus. It’d be nice to have a view assist or at least to be able to change quickly from flog to other film simulations to get a better idea of what you shoot !

And although colors and footage are gorgious with this camera, I agree with snowbro, sometimes skin tones look a little bit waxy (the fuji illness...), with not many shades.

And thanks for the LUTs, they work great ! Just like the fuji Wide DR lut but without crushing blacks and blowing out highlights !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no worries @thephoenix~!

that was a good question. trust me, i ask stupid questions all the time 😎

this stuff takes awhile! no one is born knowing any of this. like, i just looked up this "simple definition" and i was like OMGgg lmaoo

Quote

Camera Patch (or Input) LUTs – The postproduction cousin to the Display LUT is the Camera Patch LUT or the Input LUT (two names for the same thing). These LUTs are often used as starting point for the rest of your grading and based (hopefully) on the specific colorimetry of the camera used on set blah blah blahblah blah blah

how about this... "instagram filter" is a great analogy for output lut 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks

the thing i find odd is that i have selected natural liveview but when pressing the recording button the image goes flog, i mean flat and unsaturated as flog is.

would be nice to shoot flog but to be able to see the lut on screen and evf

but maybe i did something wrong setting up the fuji

i have over 20 years of photography and going to video makes me feels like i am starting it all over, which is pretty exciting.

i love to learn new things and in video there are tons to be learned

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed on this second copy of the xt3, that I cannot get it to give me a preview of the WB adjustments until I take a photo or start a video? Makes it impossible to adjust wb accurately. Like I mentioned before, its AWB is unreliable and changes frequently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I noticed on this second copy of the xt3, that I cannot get it to give me a preview of the WB adjustments until I take a photo or start a video? Makes it impossible to adjust wb accurately. Like I mentioned before, its AWB is unreliable and changes frequently. 

I ran into this when I had "Natural View" turned on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, colepat said:

I ran into this when I had "Natural View" turned on. 

Makes sense, thanks! I wish there was a way to slow down the AWB speed/sensitivity, it seems to jump all over most of the time. I have just been setting it manually or locking it when it looks good. Cheap & expensive canons seem to have a better algo for it, never had an issue there. That would be cool if fuji did an update to keep the 709 preview on while you record. 

Not surprising, but I found the AF to hunt more while shooting 4k 60p in h.265, did pretty good in 24p. I swear when I had the cam before, I could have focus peaking colors on during AFC? Maybe I am just thinking of a different camera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I honestly cannot figure out how to save all my video settings to different custom modes, like you can on most cameras. It only lets you designate the custom modes while doing still photos.. I have my 1d setup to change between 3 modes by hitting fn btn. It will cycle through 1080p 120p with proper shutter speed, same with 4k 24p/60p. I can quickly switch, if I can't accomplish the same thing on the fuji, it could take forever to setup everything swapping between different situations. Can't set flog to a button either, so I could check WB faster since it doesn't show anything but awb with natural view on (harder to accurately see with flat log alone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just got my second X-T3 after having sold my first to get a Z6, but then got struck by remorse and rebought the Fuji. 

After getting used to the Z6 and being able to compair them side by side some things are worth taking into consideration if you’re looking to buy one of these cameras (sensor size notwithstanding).

1. The build quality of the Nikon is second to none. The X-T3 feels flimsy and wonky next to it, and my copy has a slightly misaligned lcd. The previous one had a slightly misaligned grip cover. Feels cheap and not very confidence inspiring. And the lcd on my current copy is almost impossible to clean from fingerprints whereas the Nikon lcd wipes off super easily. Very strange. But I don’t think this is due to the assembly in China, the Japan made Fuji cameras I have owned have never felt well built with various bugs to complement them.

2. Easy of use. The Nikon switches very smoothly between stills and video with separate settings stored in each mode respectively etc. The Fuji is a mess.

3. Heat management. When shooting 4K 400mbps all-i (h264 or h265), the Fuji gets very hot very quickly. Has anyone tried to record a longer interview or concert with the X-T3, internally? I imagine it will overheat around the 45min mark.

The Nikon never gets more than slightly warm.

4. Autofocus. This is where the Fuji shows it’s a more mature mirrorless system with a smaller sensor: with the newer lenses it’s faster, more accurate and more reliable than the Nikon, both in video and stills. In low light it’s autofocus obliterates the Z6 in all modes.

5. Auto white balance. The Nikon is amazing and never manages to get it really wrong, even in difficult mixed lighting. The Fuji is fine in daylight. But I absolutely love the fact that you can lock the auto white balance on the Fuji, such a handy feature in a pinch.

6. Video quality. The X-T3 is by far a more capable video camera with outstanding codecs with less artefacts. The rolling shutter performance is noticeably better and the Eterna profile with DR400 looks stunning out of the camera with a beautiful highlight roll off compared to the Nikon. The colors of the Nikon is very appealing though, it feels less instagramish than the x-t3.

7. Sexiness. Despite all its shortcomings and frustrations the Fuji is more fun to use, I feel. As Andrew noted, the Z6 and Z7 are very utilitarian and a tad too big for my liking. Very subjective matter this, ofc.

Final thoughts:

If I were to rely on a camera as a working tool, day in and day out I would keep the Z6, but as I’m not making a living off of the camera I might sell it. But I was almost shocked when I got the X-T3 again, it literally feels like it’s gonna fall apart in my hands compared to the Nikon (and I imagine the Canon EOS R).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

So I just got my second X-T3 after having sold my first to get a Z6, but then got struck by remorse and rebought the Fuji. 

After getting used to the Z6 and being able to compair them side by side some things are worth taking into consideration if you’re looking to buy one of these cameras (sensor size notwithstanding).

1. The build quality of the Nikon is second to none. The X-T3 feels flimsy and wonky next to it, and my copy has a slightly misaligned lcd. The previous one had a slightly misaligned grip cover. Feels cheap and not very confidence inspiring. And the lcd on my current copy is almost impossible to clean from fingerprints whereas the Nikon lcd wipes off super easily. Very strange. But I don’t think this is due to the assembly in China, the Japan made Fuji cameras I have owned have never felt well built with various bugs to complement them.

2. Easy of use. The Nikon switches very smoothly between stills and video with separate settings stored in each mode respectively etc. The Fuji is a mess.

3. Heat management. When shooting 4K 400mbps all-i (h264 or h265), the Fuji gets very hot very quickly. Has anyone tried to record a longer interview or concert with the X-T3, internally? I imagine it will overheat around the 45min mark.

The Nikon never gets more than slightly warm.

4. Autofocus. This is where the Fuji shows it’s a more mature mirrorless system with a smaller sensor: with the newer lenses it’s faster, more accurate and more reliable than the Nikon, both in video and stills. In low light it’s autofocus obliterates the Z6 in all modes.

5. Auto white balance. The Nikon is amazing and never manages to get it really wrong, even in difficult mixed lighting. The Fuji is fine in daylight. But I absolutely love the fact that you can lock the auto white balance on the Fuji, such a handy feature in a pinch.

6. Video quality. The X-T3 is by far a more capable video camera with outstanding codecs with less artefacts. The rolling shutter performance is noticeably better and the Eterna profile with DR400 looks stunning out of the camera with a beautiful highlight roll off compared to the Nikon. The colors of the Nikon is very appealing though, it feels less instagramish than the x-t3.

7. Sexiness. Despite all its shortcomings and frustrations the Fuji is more fun to use, I feel. As Andrew noted, the Z6 and Z7 are very utilitarian and a tad too big for my liking. Very subjective matter this, ofc.

Final thoughts:

If I were to rely on a camera as a working tool, day in and day out I would keep the Z6, but as I’m not making a living off of the camera I might sell it. But I was almost shocked when I got the X-T3 again, it literally feels like it’s gonna fall apart in my hands compared to the Nikon (and I imagine the Canon EOS R).

Thank you Simon, great points, and exactly my feelings. Before I buy the Z6, I've ordered an XT3, as I was using an XT2.
I've opened the box, took the camera out of its cocoon and, before mounting a lens, inspected the sensor, as I read that some people found dusts stuck under the first layer (do not remember which filter it is), and had to send it back to Fuji for repair. And, I was lucky enough to find a big dust in the middle of the sensor ! So, I've grabbed my rocket blower, trying to remove the spot. As I was blowing, the part around the sensor (do not know of what it is made, but it looks like dark fiber "paper"/cardboard) was moving like hell. Oh, I couldn't believe it, was like a toy made of paper... I sent if back asap, and waited for the Z6 to be in stock and compare it to the A7iii.

I've loved so much things in the XT2, but hated more. The Z6 fulfills those bad points (for my usage at least), despite, I know, having less sexy video appealing. I want a robust hybrid for photo + video, and the Z6 is a better choice for me. I agree with your and Andrews view, it feel more like a tool (exactly what the big dslr feel like, to me). Plus, I absolutely hate the plague of the instagramish style 😁

Seriously, the image out of the XT3 is really beautiful, and I might reconsider it later, as I will buy a second camera, more video oriented, to complement the Z6. I will look at the bmpcc4k, bmpcc, gh5s and the XT3 (or XH2 if it come out one day).

There are a lot of great options for us ; just need to find what suits you best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...