Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

@Emanuel I've used the 35mm, 18-55mm, 18-135 and 55-200mm in face tracking on an actual project.  The 35mm is definitely the fastest and best at tracking, maybe a little too fast, 18-55 and 55-200mm are really good at tracking.  The 18-135mm seems to be the most natural and smoothest at focusing and is just a hair slower than the 35mm, it's too bad the aperture is variable and on the slower side.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Ingerson said:

Rolling shutter tests here:

4k 24p: https://vimeo.com/292103456/f01f36ff9b
4k 60p: https://vimeo.com/292103784/bae8f67cef
1080p24: https://vimeo.com/292104075/3cca0aa757
1080p60: https://vimeo.com/292104319/73eacbf42b
1080p120 (24fps playback): https://vimeo.com/292104581/7488279a51

-------

nonscientific DR comparison between Eterna simulation and F-Log. Mid exposure, then one and two stops up and down. Included waveform.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rw3ecm3tnft1a21/AADf4nRWTJ8WqSQK_TWKiKXUa?dl=0

ISO test in FLOG (with and without Eterna LUT) + In camera Eterna. Sorry for slight exposure change... Prores download available.

2 hours ago, Ingerson said:

nonscientific DR comparison between Eterna simulation and F-Log. Mid exposure, then one and two stops up and down. Included waveform.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rw3ecm3tnft1a21/AADf4nRWTJ8WqSQK_TWKiKXUa?dl=0

No idea how to measure that into numbers, sorry.

Eterna is in DR100 mode right? In DR400 mode the dynamic range should be about the same, according to Fuji.

The Fuji is an excellent choice for hybrid shooters. It handles well for the size. The build is excellent. Then manual controls lets you feel like your are "really" taking old-school photos. The images do not disappoint. The video performance is as good as cameras costing much more. Built in microphones are stereo and sound pretty good for what they are. The preamps are usable. And the colors are lovely. 

It's a win... regardless of what may be coming down the pike. This camera can work for today and for a few years to come. It is my new goto travel camera. 

Nice work Fujifilm... Consider yourself officially on the radar.

1 hour ago, Simon Young said:

It’s a dream of a camera, I just got mine. The lack of ibis is not bothering me at all, because the rolling shutter is so well controlled. If you can’t get a good image out of this camera then your really fucked.

Exactly my feelings since X-H1 4K transferred then to the other old models through firmware update. With Fuji you simply can't go wrong unless you have no clue what you're doing at all : -)

38 minutes ago, sandro said:

Funny fact: no one (for the price) still can't match the NX1 processing power.

IBIS not there is bummer but God still cropping the sensor even for 1080p 120fps???

Did you see for pics the ISO performance is much worse than the x-t2?

How does the rolling shutter, 10-bit, 4k60p, log profile and lens selection with the NX1 compare to the XT3? Are you really focusing on the 120p crop and not looking at the entire package? You can shoot 30 raw still images per second with the XT3 and 4k 10-bit internal with a true log profile, come on.

The NX1 was a nice camera, but the XT3 is a NX1 that goes to 11, with a much better ecosystem.

Chris

1 hour ago, sandro said:

Funny fact: no one (for the price) still can't match the NX1 processing power. 

IBIS not there is bummer but God still cropping the sensor even for 1080p 120fps??? 

Did you see for pics the ISO performance is much worse than the x-t2?

Cropping for 120 doesn't mean it has less processing power then the NX1. NX1's 120fps is not a full sensor readout either; line skipping vs 1:1 cropping, same processing power (if the XT3 is oversampling at all in 120fps, then it is using more processing power. The NX1's 120fps looks like a 1920x1080 readout at BEST).

Edit: also, adjusted for inflation, the XT3 is cheaper than the NX1 was.

8 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Cropping for 120 doesn't mean it has less processing power then the NX1. NX1's 120fps is not a full sensor readout either; line skipping vs 1:1 cropping, same processing power (if the XT3 is oversampling at all in 120fps, then it is using more processing power. The NX1's 120fps looks like a 1920x1080 readout at BEST).

Edit: also, adjusted for inflation, the XT3 is cheaper than the NX1 was.

120P on X-T3 seems to be pixel-binned instead of line-skipped, it's a bit soft but aliasing artifact free.

120fps on the X-T3 compared to the NX1 is the difference in three years of development.

Fuji clearly took what Samsung did and said “give me that, but add some whip cream, not a cherry or any nuts or sprinkles though, we will save that for the next one *wink* *wink*”

NX1 is still really really good though and if you have one, you’re still set for 2-3 years. If not, buy an X-T3 and wait until Fuji drops APSC for medium format eventually.

None of the above jibes with reality as I see it.

First, I highly doubt Fuji even considered for a second the NX1 when designing the X-T3, given that Samsung is no longer in the camera business, haven't been for quite some time.

Second, I don't see Fuji dropping APS-C for medium format ever. 

And my guess is the X-T3 has got a Sony sensor, not Samsung.

Everything else aside, Fuji's got a sensational lens lineup, which would make it my very first choice when it comes to APS-C. The NX1 is a dead system. RIP

31 minutes ago, jonpais said:

None of the above jibes with reality as I see it.

First, I highly doubt Fuji even considered for a second the NX1 when designing the X-T3, given that Samsung is no longer in the camera business, haven't been for quite some time.

Second, I don't see Fuji dropping APS-C for medium format ever. 

And my guess is the X-T3 has got a Sony sensor, not Samsung.

Everything else aside, Fuji's got a sensational lens lineup, which would make it my very first choice when it comes to APS-C. The NX1 is a dead system. RIP

Same here. Although if you think about it, you dont have much of a choice. Fuji is the ONLY company that is fully committed to APSC. Every other company is trying to flog FF, while virtually ignoring their APSC system. Seems strange as APSC is by far the most popular format (and arguably the most practical for most people.)

@jonpais we get it, you don’t like Fuji, and love Sony. I love Sony too, their broadcast cameras are awesome, if I still worked in broadcast I wouldn’t want anything else. To be fair, if I had your prior poor experience with Fuji I wouldn’t like them either moving forward. I feel the same way about Panasonic for hybrid cameras (really like their broadcast offerings though).

In response:

First, obviously look at both camera bodies. The specs are what I was talking about.

Second, no one thought Panasonic would go full frame, yet here we are. I agree, Fuji will stay with apsc until smartphones catch up and their medium format might always be a niche product, sorry for being hyperbolic.

Sensor wise, it’s different than any other Fuji sensor. So either:

1. Sony completely changed their design

2. Fuji redid their X-trans color array (although the GFX50 R and S don’t have X-trans and are almost the same as the X-H1, X-T2, etc when it comes to colors and expected performance for noise and ISO)

3. Samsung made the sensor and Fuji mirrored the specs of the NX1

4. BSI makes way more of a difference than we (me at least) thought

5. Canon made the sensor and accidentally sent them to Fuji instead of putting it in the R. (Note this is sarcasm)

I’ll leave these frame exports here, from the X-T3, NX1 and A73.

33027116-00F6-4D96-8B1C-DFC5D09B537D.jpeg

B29BD81B-7903-44F9-B8A6-63D42DFF71AC.jpeg

9F8BFA0B-EDB4-4E10-A826-C703345B3294.jpeg