Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Stunning shots! The XT3 is a hell of a camera. I keep looking at others but always come back to it. 

4 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

I continue to explore F-Log grading with RCM without LUT. I think I'm getting better results (colors, highlights roll off). F-log is very good; Fuji LUTs are not so good.
I'm more excited about the definitive release of Resolve 16.1 than the XT3 firmware update.

RCM test 24_1.18.5.jpg

RCM test 25_1.9.1.jpg

RCM test 28_1.11.1.jpg

RCM test 12_1.17.1.jpg

RCM test 27_1.4.1.jpg

RCM test 13_1.7.1.jpg

RCM test 29_1.16.1.jpg

RCM test 30_1.5.2.jpg

6 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

I continue to explore F-Log grading with RCM without LUT. I think I'm getting better results (colors, highlights roll off). F-log is very good; Fuji LUTs are not so good.
I'm more excited about the definitive release of Resolve 16.1 than the XT3 firmware update.

RCM test 24_1.18.5.jpg

RCM test 25_1.9.1.jpg

RCM test 28_1.11.1.jpg

RCM test 12_1.17.1.jpg

RCM test 27_1.4.1.jpg

RCM test 13_1.7.1.jpg

RCM test 29_1.16.1.jpg

RCM test 30_1.5.2.jpg

Excellent work! 

Can you mention what exactly you’re doing in RCM?

Also, what ND filter are you using?

3 hours ago, ade towell said:

Yes thought I read you were thinking of 'upgrading' to an Eos-r. Sounds like a downgrade to me, the Xt3 is a special little camera, punches way above its weight  

I thought the EOS R could do 10 bit 422 1080p to an external recorder. But turns out it only does 4K, which has unacceptable rolling shutter. One of my big reasons for switching would the much wider selection of Canon glass. Also canon DPAF would be super useful. Alas the EOS r is probably too gimped for me. 

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I thought the EOS R could do 10 bit 422 1080p to an external recorder. But turns out it only does 4K, which has unacceptable rolling shutter. One of my big reasons for switching would the much wider selection of Canon glass. Also canon DPAF would be super useful. Alas the EOS r is probably too gimped for me. 

I have a 1dx II and I think the Fuji’s AF is actually pretty good, although the Canon still has an edge and has object tracking. 

12 hours ago, thephoenix said:

i just started dreaming fuji unleashes external raw ability for the bm video assist :love:

That would be incredible. 

6 hours ago, chadandreo said:

I have a 1dx II and I think the Fuji’s AF is actually pretty good, although the Canon still has an edge and has object tracking. 

Thats good to hear. I am really hoping with V4 firmware Fuji will step it up. It doesn't have issue finding focus but it just won't always hold it. Random hunting for long takes is an issue.

@chadandreo I don’t do a lot. Just put input color space on FLog, and go back down highlights if they are too high with a curve or the log wheels or a ofx tone mapping and adjust the contrast and the WB. The picture is beautiful with beautiful skintone and blue sky and green vegetation and other colors too. You can still add a mood if you want.

To understand how the RCM works, you have to read that https://www.provideocoalition.com/solutions-to-resolve-5-taming-color-management-part-1/

About ND filters I use one or two ND 16 digital Hoya Pro filters.

@androidlad You’re right, but I don’t always try to emulate the filmlook. I try to make a beautiful picture with what I have (I used negative film in photo, but I think I will never shoot with film). But you can easily fix that and get down the saturation on the highlights if you want.

Just a few stills from my first proper anamorphic video and first video shot with X-T3.
A friend of mine asked me to document a graffiti jam that he organised.

Managed to get some nice shots, but getting a correct exposure during a sunny day was a huge PITA.
Need to work on it.

X-T3 (cropped 16:9 video, shot with HLG), Zhongyi Lens Turbo II, Minolta 58/1.4 (used at f/2.8), Isco Ultra Star, myFM, Tiffen Vari ND.

Untitled_1.75.1.png

Untitled_1.88.1.png

Untitled_1.13.1.png

Untitled_1.95.1.png

what lenses ?

8 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

@chadandreo I don’t do a lot. Just put input color space on FLog, and go back down highlights if they are too high with a curve or the log wheels or a ofx tone mapping and adjust the contrast and the WB. The picture is beautiful with beautiful skintone and blue sky and green vegetation and other colors too. You can still add a mood if you want.

To understand how the RCM works, you have to read that https://www.provideocoalition.com/solutions-to-resolve-5-taming-color-management-part-1/

About ND filters I use one or two ND 16 digital Hoya Pro filters.

add this video that explains the advantage of rcm pretty well too

8 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Kinda drives me crazy that Fuji is supported in RCM but not in color space transform. 

Yes it is. In ofx color space transform : input color space is only about input gamut and input color gamma is about gamma. You can find flog in input gamma only because it 's about gamma. And for input color space you need to choose REC 2020 because it's the gamut of flog. 

12 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Did you have a chance to compare the quality of internal files to ProRes coming from the Ninja V? I wonder if there is any noticeable difference.

With my filming qualities I don't believe there is a lot difference. But Ninja V files are definatelly faster to edit.