Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

Well that is a frame grab from a Canon 1DC to show how much detail they have in 4K. But yeah I get your point. But your example Is lighted, and it makes a ton of difference using the Lantern. So that is a Great example.

I know I bust people's asses on here, but I want to see people get better, learn to light and grade. This is more than just turning on a camera and let it rip.  A person should never be in a hurry doing video, willing to do take 2, take 3 etc.. We ought to dissect every video and say this is great, and this is bad, and learn from it, not just take everything for granted. That is how we improve. Sure on average we are not going to produce top stuff, but if we don't learn we never will. Everyone wants to get better.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground about grading. Maybe you Ought to Calibrate your Monitor if you think it is OK. It sure as hell isn't on mine.

I guess the new norm on here if it is half assed it is fine. Sure we are probably going to half ass stuff, but if that is the best video on You Tube to show off the XT-3  well Woopty Ding.

Well I guess your post tells a lot about you. F your down vote. I think Andrew hit the nail on the head. Stupid sort of fits.

"Hey guys, just trying to help. Thanks, Andrew, for going through my post history in a strange attempt to shame me or call me stupid or something. I think that says more about you than it does about me".

On 6/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, webrunner5 said:

It is Not amazing if it is too dark whether you like it or not. In this day and age nearly Any camera, even Phones can take great stuff if you can grade and edit. If I was the African actor in it I would be pissed. He is Black alright, so Black half the time he just sort of blends into the woodwork. Piss poor grade.

This is suppose to be what a Person of Color is Suppose to look like in a dark environment. Not just a freaking shadow!

This is a pretty ludicrous response.  First off, grading is, beyond anything else, a subjective matter.  So you didn't like the way they used shadows and concealment to draw the viewer in.  I happened to love it.  In no universe is there a definitive 'too dark' in these matters.  Not to your taste?  Fine.  Simply wrong?  That I don't accept.

That character's first scene, which is the one I imagine you have most objection too, uses concealment to draw the viewer in, and does a pretty good job of it imo.  There are highlights that flash up here and there that give glimpses of the pressure the character is under, and then they use motivated light for a great reveal (when the headlight splashes through the window and you finally get a full glimpse of his fear).   It's not the most devastatingly amazing cinematography I've even seen, but it does a very good job.

Secondly, the image you've posted up as a comparison is so different in tone and feel it's more or less irrelevant.  It's not going for anywhere near the same kind of atmospheric sense of dread.  It's shot in a completely different set of lighting conditions, so of course the exposure looks different.  Added to that, it's not even technically that accomplished of an image (though it may work perfectly well in the context it was intended). 

I genuinely wonder if the gamma is a bit off on whatever screen you're viewing on, cos that can make moody stuff look impenetrable.  

I have a pretty expensive Monitor and I have a Spider that I calibrate it about every 2 weeks. So if you think it is great well that is fine, but to my eyes and monitor it was a piss poor bit of grading on their part. Just plain flat lazy to be be honest. Probably just used a LuT for the whole thing and left it at that. I guess YMWV

As for the ludicrous response I guess you just want people on here to be happy with some amateur grade and say that is acceptable. That isn't the way it is suppose to work. I don't expect perfection. but that stuff was embarrassing.

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

... it was a piss poor bit of grading on their part. Just plain flat lazy to be be honest. Probably just used a LuT for the whole thing and left it at that. I guess YMWV

Matthew Libatique is the director and the DOP of this short. I’m not sure is a great director but a great DOP, yes.

Serious team for grading .

Fuji says about this short : « A Different Beyond” was lensed with FUJIFILM/FUJINON MKX cinema zoom lenses, FUJINON Premiere PL Cabrio zooms, and Zeiss Super Speed PL-mount primes in order to show the feasibility of using varied professional optics with the new FUJIFILM X-Trans 4 sensor. Most of the movie was recorded into the Fujifilm Log (“F-Log”) Rec2020 color space, both to internal SD cards and Atomos Ninja Inferno devices, and then professionally color graded. However, several of the scenes were recorded using FUJIFILM Film Simulations directly (ETERNA, Velvia and CLASSIC CHROME) to show their suitability for projects that don’t have time or budget for color grading. « 

You can dislike the grad but I think it is a serious work. 

369BFBD1-6C84-4020-B70D-38DA4A9F5382.jpeg

I agree with @webrunner5, it's too dark and doesn't look good. Kind of like that Game of Thrones episode we had a topic about recently. I'm also watching on a color calibrated monitor. I even turned the lights off to give them an extra benefit. Subjectively, I think it was poorly done, the the fact that they had an extensive, professional team and used such amazing gear makes me sad.

The thing about darkness is you always need a point of reference. Like that image @Anaconda_ posted from 12 years a slave. That lantern blows out, showing just how dark it really is in the environment, and you get that wonderful, insane lowlit glimmer on the eye from the lantern. You still see the characters standing out against the background, giving your eyes a focal point. What it does do is give you outlines that your imagination works with. The almost pitch black background closes in around the protagonist. The two faces show expressions, but your mind puts in the details.

A lot of the frames from the Fuji video were just normal images, but dark. Instead of using darkness to occlude something that your mind fills in, it's just an ordinary shot, darker. Like the two shot at 1:22. It's not just dark, it's flat. No highlights, no eyes, no backlighting, really just a completely ordinary two shot where you can't quite see it comfortably. And again at 2:28 the guy with the bat. No contrast to pull the character out of the scene, or to give your eyes a place to go. There's no sense of the lighting drawing your eye to a person in a dark world, it's just an ordinary shot of a guy in a garage that's underexposed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 2:03 AM, IronFilm said:

I agree!

Unless it is Game of Thrones...

645272258_Got7-240.PNG.83136406934fe02be382d2af43a3daad.PNGScreen-Shot-2019-04-17-at-10_05.35-AM.png.960bb2e59a9f7cee33afdcab1541448b.png

How can we ever forget that episode "The Long Night".  Where the DP chastises the viewer that we need a new TV or calibrate in order to view - this coming from a Alexa or Red.  Like other's said, lighting is key to engage the audience, not leave out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

hello new user of Xt3, tryng to make my first steps with this camera

About manual. I am reading it, can't say that is so clear, some part are really difficult to understand. Don't know if it is the language (english it is not my language) or just the way it is made
Any suggestion or alternative way to learn?

1 hour ago, stefanocps said:

hello new user of Xt3, tryng to make my first steps with this camera

About manual. I am reading it, can't say that is so clear, some part are really difficult to understand. Don't know if it is the language (english it is not my language) or just the way it is made
Any suggestion or alternative way to learn?

start by telling us what you need to learn ;)

i learned quite a lot on youtube, but just don't watch only one

good buy by the way

8 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

start by telling us what you need to learn ;)

i learned quite a lot on youtube, but just don't watch only one

good buy by the way

right now i am finding difficult the use of the command dial , as it seems they change use changing other parameter, seems complex to get it undertang properly

2 questions which i still havent properly looked at in the manual

the F setting, till now is adjusted only through the lens, a part when it automatically change in auto or shutter priority. Is it F assignable in som way?

Lookks like zooming is not motorized, right?

also a question about focus assist. I have set a red color for manual focusing. But don't know how it really works, I see different part with the red when focus, but there is a range within the color stay there, changing a litle ...how to properly read the color?

9 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

right now i am finding difficult the use of the command dial , as it seems they change use changing other parameter, seems complex to get it undertang properly

2 questions which i still havent properly looked at in the manual

the F setting, till now is adjusted only through the lens, a part when it automatically change in auto or shutter priority. Is it F assignable in som way?

Lookks like zooming is not motorized, right?

also a question about focus assist. I have set a red color for manual focusing. But don't know how it really works, I see different part with the red when focus, but there is a range within the color stay there, changing a litle ...how to properly read the color?

i don't really understand the first question ? but of course aperture can be set, in manual or aperture priority like in any other camera.

for focus peaking, forget about red, it's crap, go to yellow and see the difference.

1 minute ago, thephoenix said:

i don't really understand the first question ? but of course aperture can be set, in manual or aperture priority like in any other camera.

for focus peaking, forget about red, it's crap, go to yellow and see the difference.

about apèerture, i mean, if it could be assigned to a dial. it seems i can only adjust on lens

you confirm zoom is not motorized?

focus peak, a part of the colr i don t know when it is correct focus. There is a lot of yellow not only in one point when adjust focus on lens. There is a range when rotating the focus where yellow is there. So how do i know the best point for the focus?