Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

I don't know about a drop in filter, but with my XT3/Fringer/Sigma 18-35 combo, I use a variable ND and have (metal) glued a short Nikon lens hood (approx 1.5cm or 3/4 of an inch deep) to the ND so I can rotate the hood & ND as a single unit and have marked up with white paint the min and max points of the ND on the hood.

Also, if the light is low, I can unscrew the hood/ND combo as a single unit.

I haven't managed to find a similar solution for my Canon 50mm f1.8 however...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/4/2019 at 2:48 AM, MrSMW said:

I don't know about a drop in filter, but with my XT3/Fringer/Sigma 18-35 combo, I use a variable ND and have (metal) glued a short Nikon lens hood (approx 1.5cm or 3/4 of an inch deep) to the ND so I can rotate the hood & ND as a single unit and have marked up with white paint the min and max points of the ND on the hood.

Also, if the light is low, I can unscrew the hood/ND combo as a single unit.

I haven't managed to find a similar solution for my Canon 50mm f1.8 however...

Have any photos of that? I always want to use a lens hood but haven't found a variable ND that allows me to do so. 

45 minutes ago, jagnje said:

It has probably been discused before, but I can`t seem to find much on the topic...how is wifi monitoring on andoid phones/tablets? Are there any apps besides the official fuji app?

That app is a god awful piece of s**t. For reliable wireless monitoring you have to go with HDMI transceiver.

it has nothing to do with video but still i am asking

when shooting photo with a strobe i set my aperture to let's say f11. the thing is that when the aperture is set to 11 i don't see sh..t in the screen.

is there a mode that allows to have the screen full aperture and yet set the aperture to Fwhatever when you shoot ?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

it has nothing to do with video but still i am asking

when shooting photo with a strobe i set my aperture to let's say f11. the thing is that when the aperture is set to 11 i don't see sh..t in the screen.

is there a mode that allows to have the screen full aperture and yet set the aperture to Fwhatever when you shoot ?

In screen settings in the setup menu, go into PREVIEW EXP./WB IN MANUAL MODE and you can switch the exposure preview off.

Discovered something very peculiar today:

Shot some internal FHD 120P H.265 clips in HLG, imported into Premiere Pro 13.1.2 and it automatically applied a gamut mapping (BT.2020 to BT.709), gamma was left untouched so no blown out highlights and such, just the gamut was mapped (more saturated colours). Can't seem to disable this gamut mapping...

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

Discovered something very peculiar today:

Shot some internal FHD 120P H.265 clips in HLG, imported into Premiere Pro 13.1.2 and it automatically applied a gamut mapping (BT.2020 to BT.709), gamma was left untouched so no blown out highlights and such, just the gamut was mapped (more saturated colours). Can't seem to disable this gamut mapping...

FHD 120p is necessarily conformed in a « normal frame rate » into XT3 . Maybe during this conformation there is a mistake (bug) and file tagged in rec709. Something around this.

1 minute ago, BrunoCH said:

FHD 120p is necessarily conformed in a « normal frame rate » into XT3 . Maybe during this conformation there is a mistake (bug) and file tagged in rec709. Something around this.

The metadata is BT.2020/HLG. I think it's Premiere/Windows 10 doing the SDR conversion.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:54 PM, currensheldon said:

Have any photos of that? I always want to use a lens hood but haven't found a variable ND that allows me to do so. 

Sorry, on my phone and not posted pics here before but here you go.

04F4AC35-AFCB-4591-AF33-6E9F54923F9B.jpeg

Right, on my PC now so I can add a few extra bits...

So the Nikon filter, HN something... I have 'glued' using Gorillaweld 'metal glue' to the variable ND which is screwed in as normal to the front of the lens, ie, is detachable.

I have also marked up the hood with the min (single white line) and max (double white line) points of the ND and added arrows just in case the brain is not working and because the actual arrow for the ND filter is on the underside which obviously doesn't work.

So now, in low light, the ND/hood can stay in my bag but in bright light/outdoors, I can simply screw the combo in and et voila as they say here in France.

Trying to create something similar for my Canon 50mm f1.8 which although it does have a front thread, I can't get any variable ND to fit so still working on that one.

Fringer Pro adapter not shown as that lives on the XT3 which currently has the Canon attached.

Hi guys !

Quick question, I just got myself a Fuji X-T3. I noticed that when I gently shake the body (I didn't do it on purpose in the first place), I hear something wobbling inside. I can't remember having that feeling with the previous X-T3 I had the chance to try a few weeks ago. I tried to block the back lcd screen, but it wasn't it. Can you also hear something moving a bit when you shake your camera ? No lens attached, body turned on or off. (maybe I have the first XT series with IBIS, and that's the sensor moving !)

And also, what are the shortcomings I should be wary about ? I remember a few members of this forum having quality control issues with theirs, especially @DBounce if I'm not mistaken.

Thank you guys !

3 hours ago, Papiskokuji said:

Hi guys !

Quick question, I just got myself a Fuji X-T3. I noticed that when I gently shake the body (I didn't do it on purpose in the first place), I hear something wobbling inside. I can't remember having that feeling with the previous X-T3 I had the chance to try a few weeks ago. I tried to block the back lcd screen, but it wasn't it. Can you also hear something moving a bit when you shake your camera ? No lens attached, body turned on or off. (maybe I have the first XT series with IBIS, and that's the sensor moving !)

And also, what are the shortcomings I should be wary about ? I remember a few members of this forum having quality control issues with theirs, especially @DBounce if I'm not mistaken.

Thank you guys !

I got my two X-T3s early on and assumed I was just unlucky. I do know that the X-T3s are made in China not Japan... which is usually not a good thing.

10 hours ago, Papiskokuji said:

Hi guys !

Thank you guys !

This is normal and happens in X-T1 and X-T2 as well. It occurs only when you tilt the camera back and forth, not side to side (from portrait to landscape). It's part of the viewfinder diopter mechanism. As long as the camera functions well, no need to be concerned.

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

I got my two X-T3s early on and assumed I was just unlucky. I do know that the X-T3s are made in China not Japan... which is usually not a good thing.

I knew you'd jump on that made in China BS. Isolated QC incidents can happen anywhere, so please put your stereotype away.

3 hours ago, androidlad said:

This is normal and happens in X-T1 and X-T2 as well. It occurs only when you tilt the camera back and forth, not side to side (from portrait to landscape). It's part of the viewfinder diopter mechanism. As long as the camera functions well, no need to be concerned.

I knew you'd jump on that made in China BS. Isolated QC incidents can happen anywhere, so please put your stereotype away.

Well I doubt I'm alone in this position. And stereotypes exist for a reason. Let's see how Chinese quality vs Japanese quality is perceived by the rest of the forum... take the one question survey.