Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

Hi guys, do you have problems with the Xt3 and dead pixels? I have a dead pixel (white dot) that is visible in the video especially in the shadows, unfortunately pixel mapping works only in photo mode, I think fujifilm should implement pixel mapping in video mode

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, ErisC said:

Hi guys, do you have problems with the Xt3 and dead pixels? I have a dead pixel (white dot) that is visible in the video especially in the shadows, unfortunately pixel mapping works only in photo mode, I think fujifilm should implement pixel mapping in video mode

Yeah would be nice if they did. I'd recommend sending it in.

The video above is a little dated. I would like to see the same review done with the XT-3 updated with the latest firmware, and also shot with other lenses to compare. 

And this one is interesting. 

And another entertaining video. 

On another subject, I am looking into an external recorder/monitor for my XT-3. I would like a recommendation from XT-3 owners who are using this in their photo and film work. I am looking at the Atomos products and others. Which one do you recommend, or do you think that it is not necessary? Yes, I know that it depends on what you are producing, i.e., indie film vs internet content, hobbyist, weddings, events, educational content, etc. And there may be more criteria. Would like to hear your thoughts about it. I like to invest in gear that will last. And if it becomes obsolete, then I would like to only replace the obsolete parts. For example, replace the camera body only, keep the lenses if possible, and stay with the same ecosystem. 

It comes down to 4 2 0  (internal recording) vs 4 2 2 (external recording).

And for that, it is useful to talk about the camera rig setup that you are using. For myself, I have invested in two more lenses, in addition to the 18-55 mm kit lens (Fujinon XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS), I have acquired the Fujinon XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS, and the Fujinon XF10-24mmF4 R OIS. I also invested in the smallrig cage (SMALLRIG Camera Cage for Fujifilm X-T3, Aluminum Alloy Cage with Cold Shoe, NATO Rail, Threaded Holes for Arri 3/8",1/4"-20,3/8"-16 (2228)) and other gear (pro audio and lighting). Thanks!

For example: https://www.atomos.com/shogun-inferno

Here is an interesting review of the monster Atomos Sumo 19 

Hey guys,

Just got the camera today and went through a bunch of online setup and tutorials but having one issue..

How do I get the recording levels (i.e. audio meters) and the exposure indicator to appear on the screen at the same time?  It looks like if you enable large indicators, you only see the exposure indicator and you lose the audio meters. If I disable large indicators, I only see the audio meters. 

I saw a video where this guy had both (see attached).  

Any advice?  Thanks!

XT3ExposureAudioMeters.png

Hey again fellas,

Another newbie question if you'll so indulge..

My system is struggling to playback the H265 Long GOP 4K files. Looking back on this thread, someone mentioned that QuickTime worked great but this is no longer supported on Windows. Any suggestions?

Also, for editing, does Resolve or Premiere do a better job with these H265 files?

Thanks in advance!

h265 is asking for a lot of power it seems maybe your pc is a bit old ?

do you have the right codecs ?

you can also try this https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/p/extensions-video-hevc/9nmzlz57r3t7?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab&fbclid=IwAR1AFBbtON0JHQcmmbVevB95_SEzMzzp7cwQ28Anwea4iWGgf6069pxZH5k

for 1€ it might be worth trying it

7 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Hey again fellas,

Another newbie question if you'll so indulge..

My system is struggling to playback the H265 Long GOP 4K files. Looking back on this thread, someone mentioned that QuickTime worked great but this is no longer supported on Windows. Any suggestions?

Also, for editing, does Resolve or Premiere do a better job with these H265 files?

Thanks in advance!

In regards to Resolve, you may have to consider the studio version.  I tried the free version of Resolve with h.265 file and it won't read it even with installing the HVEC extension.  I had to transcribe to ProRes

Ah, it's funny that you said this.  As soon as I bought and installed the Microsoft HEVC extensions, all my H265 files in Resolve now read 'Media Offline'.  It was working fine prior to it.

Now, I can't get back to where I was last night. I'm guessing there's no way to fix this except to buy the full Resolve version?

14 minutes ago, jbCinC_12 said:

In regards to Resolve, you may have to consider the studio version.  I tried the free version of Resolve with h.265 file and it won't read it even with installing the HVEC extension.  I had to transcribe to ProRes

4 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Ah, it's funny that you said this.  As soon as I bought and installed the Microsoft HEVC extensions, all my H265 files in Resolve now read 'Media Offline'.  It was working fine prior to it.

Now, I can't get back to where I was last night. I'm guessing there's no way to fix this except to buy the full Resolve version?

Exactly @MeanRevert.  I'm pretty much bummed about that as well. :(

4 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

That sounds like your files have different names now so Resolve can’t locate them. Can you uninstall Microsoft HEVC extension, or replace the media in the pool with the new versions?

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

That sounds like your files have different names now so Resolve can’t locate them. Can you uninstall Microsoft HEVC extension, or replace the media in the pool with the new versions?

Hi, even if I uninstalled the new HEVC extension, i can no longer load those H265 files into Resolve Free.  Just based on what I've Googled, it looks like others have run into this issue as well and they were able to fix it by going to the full Resolve Studio.  

I guess it's time for me to bite the bullet and decide which one I'm going with, Premiere or Resolve.

@MeanRevert we discussed some issues over in the nx1 forum with hevc and resolve. Resolve free technically does not offer hevc decoding on Windows, so the fact that it worked at all was a fluke. As we saw with the nx1, some flavors of hevc worked, but had weird color fringing. So i would say that the only reliable way to natively edit hevc in resolve is to buy the studio version, unfortunately.

I noticed you can't put the image preview on your second monitor when using resolve, that was kind of a deal breaker for me. I heard its the same deal with the paid version but I am not 100% sure. The other issue was when viewing resolve on my 4K screen all the text was extremely small and apparently there is no workaround for that either.

I love system in resolve with Nodes, its very simple and clever. Those issues were a deal breaker for me though. 

On 3/2/2019 at 3:02 AM, proteanstar said:

And for that, it is useful to talk about the camera rig setup that you are using. For myself, I have invested in two more lenses, in addition to the 18-55 mm kit lens (Fujinon XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS), I have acquired the Fujinon XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS, and the Fujinon XF10-24mmF4 R OIS. I also invested in the smallrig cage (SMALLRIG Camera Cage for Fujifilm X-T3, Aluminum Alloy Cage with Cold Shoe, NATO Rail, Threaded Holes for Arri 3/8",1/4"-20,3/8"-16 (2228)) and other gear (pro audio and lighting).

I’m just about to invest in the 10-24 f4 for video myself. I had a Sigma 10-20 f3.5 for my aps-c Canon 70D, and it let in enough light to get acceptably clean video indoors, where I really needed the ultra wide angle. I wonder how you’re using your 10-24 and whether you’re happy with it on the X-T3?

11 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Hi, even if I uninstalled the new HEVC extension, i can no longer load those H265 files into Resolve Free.  Just based on what I've Googled, it looks like others have run into this issue as well and they were able to fix it by going to the full Resolve Studio.  

I guess it's time for me to bite the bullet and decide which one I'm going with, Premiere or Resolve.

That sucks, I’m on a Mac and when I was dealing with h.265 files, from the NX500, I had to transcode to ProRes to work with them in FCPX. It wasn’t that big of a deal since I do that anyway... I prefer to use an intermediary codec to edit with. So as @jbCinC_12 reluctantly suggested, you could go that path instead of buying the studio version. It will be less taxing on your computer as well. 

If I had to buy the Studio version of Resolve, I think I’d just buy the P4K.