Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the link!

If you guys will indulge me, I have a couple of other newbie questions:

1. I'm getting the 18-55mm kit lens, primarily due to the OIS.  For you guys with the 16-55mm, was the autofocus difference between them substantial?  How else do you feel about the kit lens vs the 16-55mm for video?

2. What gimbal are you guys using with the XT3?

17 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Thanks for the link!

1. I'm getting the 18-55mm kit lens, primarily due to the OIS.  For you guys with the 16-55mm, was the autofocus difference between them substantial?  How else do you feel about the kit lens vs the 16-55mm for video?

I don't own the 16-55, though I wish the 18-55 had a constant aperture of 2.8, would be nice at the long end. F4 isn't bad though, at least not for a lens that cost me under $200. I've thought about getting the 16-55, but I need that ois. In fact I could get by with no zoom at all if the primes had OIS. The OIS works good enough where I sometimes use it rather than a gimbal or a tripod. Not for moving shots put if I just need to stand still or pan it works well. 

I am using the Ronin M, though that probably isn't of much help lol. Got tired of pistol grip gimbals. 

3 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Thanks for the link!

2. I use the Zhi Yun Chrane v2 — I recently switched from Canon DSLRs and used rigs that were right at the limit of what was possible with that one, so the X-T3 feels like a skinny legend on it by comparison. Though the X-T3 maybe a little nose heavy by comparison with the 18-55.

1. I don’t have the 16-55, so I can’t speak to the auto-focus question, but...

A few unsolicited observations on video... For video I think you want the OIS unless you build the camera into a bigger rig with some handles good. I use a Small Rig cage to beef up the handle, and even with the OIS, it’s all I can do to keep things steady. I once shot with the same setup without OIS by mistake, forgetting to turn it back on after going off tripod. It was not useable due to the shake. My next lens is going to be the 10-24 f4 OIS, and that will be it for video lenses for X-mount.

I used to be very annoyed about the non-constant f stop lenses in the Fujinon range — having used Canon L zoom lenses. I’ve mellowed on that stance. My old go-to was Canon’s 24-105 f4.0 IS L. For documentary, f4 gives some bokeh, but also forgives when the auto-focus doesn’t keep up. So, on the X-T3, I often find myself locking the aperture at 4.0 just to keep my highlights under control in bright indoor scenes (rather than putting on an ND filter), thus taking the whole variable aperture over the zoom range out of the equation, in a sense.

Here’s a camera test I just did*. The negatives I noticed was that the auto WB misbehaved in a couple of spots — I should have remembered to lock that down. Also, the autofocus was completely off the reservation sometimes (which is different than the slow focusing, which I had dialed in on purpose). I’m super curious whether the coming firmware upgrade will give a useful bump in AF performance. 

* It was the 18-55 OIS lens, hand-held.

Aperture locked at f4 with auto ISO and auto WB.

The focus speed was set to -5. (I wanted it to feel a bit sloppy and sloshy)

4K 25fbs F-LOG @ 400 Mb/s h.265

10 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Thanks for the link!

For me, I used both side by side and ended up with the 16-55mm. The 18 was good and the AF was quick. I found it quicker and more natural-looking? if that makes sense. Almost like a skilled person with a follow focus.

I also use the Ronin-S, there is no direct compatibility between them, but the Ronin is OK. Looking back, I probably would have bought something else.

1 hour ago, DanielVranic said:

For me, I used both side by side and ended up with the 16-55mm. The 18 was good and the AF was quick. I found it quicker and more natural-looking? if that makes sense. Almost like a skilled person with a follow focus.

I also use the Ronin-S, there is no direct compatibility between them, but the Ronin is OK. Looking back, I probably would have bought something else.

Hi Daniel,

Just to be clear, are you saying the 16 or the 18 is quicker and natural looking?

12 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Thanks for the link!

1: Without a gimbal, unless on a mono or tripod, OIS I reckon is a must so the 18-55 has the 16-55 beaten there. Other than being slightly wider and f2.8 at the long end, there isn't really that much in it between these two for stills, never mind video. I don't use either however (but have had both), but the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 with Fringer Pro adapter in order to retain AF. It's longer and heavier than the 16-55 (plus not as wide or long) but the low light capability is the priority for me. If you don't need that, then I'd suggest the Fuji 18-55 is the better option for video.

2: I just tried a Ronin S. It's going back. Why? Combo of two things; A: big/bulky/heavy and B: overkill for my needs. Originally I planned on getting the DJI OSMO Pocket for anything handheld (which isn't that much to be honest as I prefer to work off a mono or tripod) but for just a 150 euros more, I could have the quality output of the XT3 on a gimbal. Step too far for me, so the Ronin is off back for a refund and I'm ordering the Pocket. I thought it was a superb thing, but once I had the XT3 on it with the Sigma plus the Ninja and on solid monopod base, a bit too unwieldy for my work.

Hope that helps.

2 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

1: Without a gimbal, unless on a mono or tripod, OIS I reckon is a must so the 18-55 has the 16-55 beaten there. Other than being slightly wider and f2.8 at the long end, there isn't really that much in it between these two for stills, never mind video. I don't use either however, but the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 with Fringer Pro adapter in order to retain AF. It's longer and heavier than the 16-55 (plus not as wide or long) but the low light capability is the priority for me. If you don't need that, then I'd suggest the Fuji 18-55 is the better option for video.

2: I just tried a Ronin S. It's going back. Why? Combo of two things; A: big/bulky/heavy and B: overkill for my needs. Originally I planned on getting the DJI OSMO Pocket for anything handheld (which isn't that much to be honest as I prefer to work off a mono or tripod) but for just a 150 euros more, I could have the quality output of the XT3 on a gimbal. Step too far for me, so the Ronin is off back for a refund and I'm ordering the Pocket. I thought it was a superb thing, but once I had the XT3 on it with the Sigma plus the Ninja and on solid monopod base, a bit too unwieldy for my work.

Hope that helps.

Yeah I try to keep my gimbal as light as possible. Just the bare bones XT3 with 18-55 or a the 23mm f2 or 50 f2. I don't even use a monitor, though in some cases you'd need one. 

Everything gets so heavy when you do manual lenses plus follow focus and all that. Necessary for some work though.

Just now, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I try to keep my gimbal as light as possible. Just the bare bones XT3 with 18-55 or a the 23mm f2 or 50 f2. I don't even use a monitor, though in some cases you'd need one. 

Everything gets so heavy when you do manual lenses plus follow focus and all that. Necessary for some work though.

That was my other option this morning when I decided to return the Ronin S, - get an 18-55 for anything handheld...but the bits of a wedding day when I need handheld are pretty much limited to gliding around guests at a drinks reception and following food being plated and servers taking it to the table. XH1 with IBIS sort of worked last year but wasn't quite up to it and I don't think the 18-55 would be either even with the new tweaked firmware.

I only use a monitor because of my ageing eyes! Even with my specs, reading LCD's on backs of cameras is getting to be an issue! Feelworld 5" last year but the Ninja this so can record externally to SSD and 10 bit etc. Could do without the extra weight of that for sure, but it's only a tad heavier than the Feelworld so I can live with it. Ronin S vs Pocket though? No contest!

7 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

That was my other option this morning when I decided to return the Ronin S, - get an 18-55 for anything handheld...but the bits of a wedding day when I need handheld are pretty much limited to gliding around guests at a drinks reception and following food being plated and servers taking it to the table. XH1 with IBIS sort of worked last year but wasn't quite up to it and I don't think the 18-55 would be either even with the new tweaked firmware.

I only use a monitor because of my ageing eyes! Even with my specs, reading LCD's on backs of cameras is getting to be an issue! Feelworld 5" last year but the Ninja this so can record externally to SSD and 10 bit etc. Could do without the extra weight of that for sure, but it's only a tad heavier than the Feelworld so I can live with it. Ronin S vs Pocket though? No contest!

The 18-55 works really well I think, as long as I am not trying to walk with it. Would be nice if it was an F2 zoom lol, some of those reception halls are way too dark. But thats asking a lot for a $200 lens. 

3 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Do you find that recording at 400 Mb/s is worth it? If my calculations are correct, that's 15 minutes of video per 64gb card. 

It makes more difference if you have a lot of motion and/or a lot of detail in the footage. I never want to see a compression artifact if I can help it. That said, I’ve had really good results with 200 Mb/s, too.

For me, though, the revolution has really been the 10-bit color.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The 2mm at the wide end is a huge deal for crop sensors.

There isn't much difference between 85mm and 87mm, but 16mm vs 18mm is very noticeable! Each mm at the wide end has a bigger impact

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I only use a monitor because of my ageing eyes! Even with my specs, reading LCD's on backs of cameras is getting to be an issue! Feelworld 5" last year but the Ninja this so can record externally to SSD and 10 bit etc. Could do without the extra weight of that for sure, but it's only a tad heavier than the Feelworld so I can live with it.

If going to shoot usually with the Ninja then you could next time around save $$ and get a X-T30 with it instead of a X-T3!