Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

Auto-ISO is 1/10 stop steps, Shutterspeed probably the same. Both should be pretty smooth.

Auto aperture is a problem, since it works in 1/3 stop steps which you see. Personally I don't really care, since my aperture is mostly locked, shutter speed is anyway. Auto-ISO and a variable ND filter are what I use for run and gun where I don't have enough time or light to fix the ISO too. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I rarely use auto anything and when I do I usually don't care that much about the quality. But yeah it isn't super smooth, though I wouldn't say its super obnoxious either. 

Relative to Sonys and Panasonics it’s pretty bad. Shooting the same scenes the same way, the difference are very obvious. Whether I run n gun or have the time to be more careful, I still care about quality. For me, run n gunning should not preclude getting quality shots. 

2 hours ago, frontfocus said:

Auto-ISO is 1/10 stop steps, Shutterspeed probably the same. Both should be pretty smooth.

Auto aperture is a problem, since it works in 1/3 stop steps which you see. Personally I don't really care, since my aperture is mostly locked, shutter speed is anyway. Auto-ISO and a variable ND filter are what I use for run and gun where I don't have enough time or light to fix the ISO too. 

Relative to auto ISO, that’s what I thought too. However locking down both aperture & shutter-speed and letting ISO ride, resulted in the same crude ramping. Perhaps it was a bit better, yet still nowhere near as smooth as the Sony or Panasonic. I know my camera isn’t defective since my tests at B&H with 2 different X-T3s yielded the same results. I’ll try some more tests today.

Another anomaly I found is with the built-in audio. When shooting 4K SDR or HLG, I have always used an Oppo 4K BluRay player’s USB inputs to attach a card reader and then output, via HDMI, the signal to a 4K TV. This enabled me to quickly pop the card out of the camera and preview the just shot 4K footage. I never had a problem with video or audio using this method with either the GH5 or the A7iii. However with the X-T3, although the video is perfect, the audio is nothing but static. It appears there is something different about the audio recorded directly to the SD card. Interestingly the audio is fine when played on the computer and it’s also fine after editing and played on the Oppo. Weird. 

17 hours ago, Robin said:

Update for you. One green pixel per camera. (Xh1,XT3)

How does that compare to what you would normally expect? 

That's MUCH better than what I have experienced after extended recording with my X-T2. Thanks much!

I'd suggest to everyone to keep an eye on it but hopefully the X-T3's new processor, etc is more efficient and keeps the sensor cooler. Good start.

34 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Relative to Sonys and Panasonics it’s pretty bad. Shooting the same scenes the same way, the difference are very obvious. Whether I run n gun or have the time to be more careful, I still care about quality. For me, run n gunning should not preclude getting quality shots. 

My only frame of reference is this short video. Seems rather smooth to me as he is moving throughout spaces but I do notice the stepping when he does the slider work. Is this inline with what you are seeing? 

I'd be pleased but I'm coming from an X-T2 which for me was so bad, I did not use Auto-ISO in video at all. But you are coming from systems which you describe as performing much better. 

On 10/24/2018 at 11:28 PM, webrunner5 said:

Has this been posted on here about Never going FF? Sounds like a crazy statement to me. Why lock yourself in?

https://***URL removed***/interviews/8996865021/photokina-2018-fujifilm-interview-we-will-never-go-full-frame

They skipped FF and choose instead to go with medium format. Where are the Medium format offerings from Canon, Sony and Panasonic etc... ?

1 hour ago, Walter H said:

My only frame of reference is this short video. Seems rather smooth to me as he is moving throughout spaces but I do notice the stepping when he does the slider work. Is this inline with what you are seeing? 

I'd be pleased but I'm coming from an X-T2 which for me was so bad, I did not use Auto-ISO in video at all. But you are coming from systems which you describe as performing much better. 

Yes, the slider is a bit more indicative of what I'm seeing, but actually worse than what he shows.

3 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

I meant I only use it for vlogging sometimes or home video, where the ramping effect doesn't really matter. 

I spoke with Fuji tech late this morning. Apparently this is their repair group, so I was impressed with their knowledge. The bottom line is, according to the tech, the ramping is the nature of the beast. You can somewhat lessen it with auto ISO, but it’s always going to be there. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I was comparing Sony or Panasonics handling of this relative to the Fuji.

It amazes me that other than a couple of reviews, most reviewers never discussed it.

New to this forum. I appreciate everyone's comments!

Here is a short video that I made today on my Fujifilm XT-3 with the 18-55 mm kit lens. 35mm focal distance.

Specs. AF-C Movie Mode: Area, H.265 All-Intra. DCI 17:9, 4096 x 2160, 24P, 400 Mbps, SS 48, F 3.6, ISO Auto. Eterna Movie Profile. Sharpness -4, Noise reduction +2. Handheld on EVO Rage 3 Gen 2 Gimbal. Fujifilm RR-100 release. 

Just dropped the clip into Adobe Premiere Pro CC. The last part is copied and slowed down to 10%. Export media at H.265 same quality. 

No color grading at all. Audio is the internal audio, no editing.

Hummingbird Encounter

01:45 minutes, seconds

https://player.vimeo.com/video/297524796

Can someone tell me if the adapters ef-fx like the Viltrox and Fringer Pro keep the IS image stabilizer from the lenses working as good as on a Canon body? I have a Tamron 24-70 IS 2.8 that I would like to keep using on a Fuji X-T3. I didn’t see reviews adressing the IS in a convincing way.

i spend the whole summer with xh1 and updated xt2 just now to check if i can live without ibis again ( xt3 specs is so juicy)

i ended up thinkin about gettin rid of xh1 and just stay with what i already have) heres my test: xt2/konica40f1.8/noname speedbooster 100fps handheld all the way:

still lack of eterna/d400 makin me really sad and i wonder if anyone can tell how much difference between editing 8bit 4K IPB and 10bit 4K ALL-I files

im also wonder how much time should pass to fuji discover that 25/50/100 option on the shutter ring is extremely desirable in 50 Hz country