Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

Anyone else with the silver version notice how easily it seems to scratch? I've only had a few weeks and just noticed two scratches in different spots on the top end, have no idea how they got there. Never had anything like this on any other cameras I've had. I'm guessing this 'Silver' is different than the X-T1 and X-T2 'Graphite Silver'?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A quick google search didn’t turn up much when searching for ‘scratches X-T3’ I did find this interesting tidbit over at mirrorless comparisons however:

The X-H1 also sports a more robust chassis which is 25% thicker than that of the X-T3 and features scratch resistance equivalent to 8H surface hardness.

9 hours ago, Henry Ciullo said:

What do you guys use to transcode on windows machines? up to now I never had the necessity  cos I always worked with 1080p h264 footage.

I love ffmpeg.

9 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

@Henry Ciullo When editing H.265 files, I use Ffmpeg to make 1.5Mbps 1080p h.264 proxies first. They edit very easily in Resolve. If you keep your proxies and online media in different bins inside Resolve, you can easily switch between using proxies and online media, by using the "Reconform from Bins" option. Not sure if that's what you're trying to do--I can go into more detail if you'd like.

I use ffmpeg, though, I haven't used them as proxies.

I need to learn Resolve more, the proxie/bin/Recorm from Bins sounds interesting, I must read more...

somehow I managed to edit some footage. As I said, nothing fancy, just trying to understand dynamic range, and how auto functions work.

All filmed handheld with stock lens. I do need to buy some NDs , with 640 ISO in daylight you get some seriously high shutter speeds.

Sorry for the music, were the only 2 tracks I had in this machine.

https://youtu.be/YwFHbfnZpiA

Anyone got a recent Macbook Pro and tried editing or transcoding HEVC from the camera? My late 2013 doesn't cut it anymore.

And with all respect, please don't tell me to just buy a PC. I've been in the Apple eco system for half my life and got all my photo, design and music production built around it.

5 minutes ago, Ingerson said:

Anyone got a recent Macbook Pro and tried editing or transcoding HEVC from the camera? My late 2013 doesn't cut it anymore.

And with all respect, please don't tell me to just buy a PC. I've been in the Apple eco system for half my life and got all my photo, design and music production built around it.

Build a Hackintosh?

3 hours ago, Ingerson said:

Haven’t edited HEVC but love the new MacBook Pro. I don’t get the critique of it at all. I had a 2013 retina before and feel that this is a much superior machine. Needs some adapters for cards but that’s a minor thing considering the advantages of usb-c, being able to charge from either side and not having to keep track of which port is which. 

I much prefer the new keyboard, the old ones feels broken in comparison. The screen and speakers are amazing. Great computer and it’s very fast with Apple’s software.

Arent the iMacs due for an update soon? Usually more bang for the buck. 

12 hours ago, buggz said:

I use ffmpeg, though, I haven't used them as proxies.

I need to learn Resolve more, the proxie/bin/Recorm from Bins sounds interesting, I must read more...

The last project I worked on we had a remote editor and we were mainly transferring via the internet. I wrote a simple Python script to batch all the videos to TINY proxy files to send over--plenty of quality for basic editing--and got an XML back. Very friendly upload and download times.

Resolve's reconform system was very unintuitive for me. It was pretty much an all day task to figure out how to get it working the way I wanted. Importing XMLs was even worse.

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

All those complaints about how difficult it is to edit HEVC footage further highlight the fact that HEVC isn't really intended as an acquisition codec.

True, but for some of us it is the best option. Not everyone wants to buy terabytes of harddrives every month shooting ProRes. It would be really nice if at least ONE company did both. Right now, you either get a consumer camera shooting HEVC, or a pro camera shooting ProRes (I know I'm simplifying to make a point). It would be ideal if someone like Atomos made a recorder that could switch between HEVC and ProRes--suddenly, every camera would be able to scale between saving space or saving processing power.

managed to get resolve 15 on main pc, it goes okwith 4k footage but crashes with 100fps 1080p 10 bit footage... using premiere to convert the files worked. I am impressed by the quality of slomo, codec holds very well with no blocking even on complicated scenes.. sure youtube is going to ruin quality

23 minutes ago, androidlad said:

It looks on par with A7III 120p, minimal aliasing. Just wish it's available in 17:9 DCI mode as well.

Its 10 bit though so it gives it an edge over the A7III. I'll just be happy to have the option to do 120fps again. I sold my GH5 and got an XT20 so its been only 60p for me.  

7 hours ago, androidlad said:

Not all of us have the latest PC/Mac hardware. However Adobe/BMD should release some updates soon to address HEVC performance issue.

Well, I don't believe I was ever able to play back, in real-time, my GH5 400Mbps H264 files either, pretty much every 4K file I've ever had from all my GAS cameras has had to be optimized/proxied/prerendered in order to edit, it not an unusual step to have to take. I can remember having to do it in FCP 1.0 with miniDV footage as well.

If people's Resolves or Premieres are crashing from footage, they're probably either using cracked versions or there's something wrong with their computers or gfx cards.