Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

12 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’ve found GH5 tap to focus to be just about 100% accurate in video in AF-S. Just talking static subjects here, not tracking or anything. It’s important to make the focus area as small as possible for the best accuracy though. Tap to focus also works swell with the remote app in 4K, something neither Fuji nor Sony can do. 

Exactly. People tend to bash GH5 focus abilities with no absolute key about the device as a whole in every and each feature the tool has, focus related included. It's a world in fact. Tracking? Well, we're speaking of something else then.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, bsalisbury said:

Thanks for your quick reply.  Are you satisfied with the general video quality of the XT-3 in comparison to the GH5?

I am. I really miss the awesome stabilization of the GH5, but just find the color and low light ability better. And as was pointed out, I wasn't thrilled with the GH5's tracking ability. (That may be more in terms of shooting stills than video though, as I tend to shoot video in manual).

7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Cameras have pros and cons. All of them. We should all know that.

+1

And we should all work hardware to understand how we shoot and what our requirements are.

Of course, if they just go ahead and make a FF Arri with GH5 stabilisation in the body of a C100 we can all stop hanging out and making excuses and go make the best darn cat videos the world has even seen!

26 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

ISO doesn't change unless you accidentally left it in auto. I wonder if he did that or maybe even left the DR setting in auto? I've never tested either settings so I don't know what it would look like.

My point is that having these bad ISO transitions looks to be a step back, since this problem was fixed via firmware 1.10 on the X-H1.
It would be great if someone from here tested this though.

5 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

My point is that having these bad ISO transitions looks to be a step back, since this problem was fixed via firmware 1.10 on the X-H1.
It would be great if someone from here tested this though.

They did fix it and it wasn’t iso shifting that was the problem, it was an exposure compensation shift, even if exposure comp was turned off, to help the camera focus. Why Fuji would think that’s a good idea in the first place I have no idea.

In the linked video, that is auto ISO being used. If you set the ISO to a specific value you won’t see that happen. It was one thing I checked right away with the X-T3, it was terrible on the original X-H1 firmware.

10 minutes ago, CyclingBen said:

They did fix it and it wasn’t iso shifting that was the problem, it was an exposure compensation shift even if exposure comp was turned off.

In the linked video, that is auto ISO being used. If you set the ISO to a specific value you won’t see that happen.

Nope it was an auto ISO problem, Zed even mentions it in this video from 6:40:

Edit: funny thing is that you as the creator of this thread specifically mention smooth auto iso as a feature of v1.10:

@Attila Bakos  You're quite the investigator...?

There are two issues at hand and you / we are merging both of them. 

1) The X-H1 would make an exposure shift when in Auto ISO or any selected ISO number for no apparent reason, even if the lighting didn't change, apparently it was due to auto focus trying to do some funky contrast detection.

2) The X-H1 had jumpy Auto ISO transitions

The firmware update fixed both of these issues, however auto ISO on the X-T2, X-T3 and X-H1 still isn't 100% super smooth throughout the range.  It's not like slowly turning a variable ND filter or turning the aperture on a cinema lens.  At higher ISO it seems to skip an ISO value or two (bewtween 6400 and 12800).  Lower ISO values it's smooth and doesn't skip.

Issue #1 is not present at all in the X-T3.  I may have been mistaken reading between the lines along with Matthias that this is what you were talking about because you said "it was back". 

@Attila Bakos I guess I'm an internet celebrity!  Care to be the DP on my new reality series ?

It's smooth at everything but the higher ISOs on my X-T3.  I was messing around the other day in a dark room with only the fireplace and some decorative LEDs for lighting and noticed it when I had it in photo and video modes.  There is a slight jump or twitch between 6400 and 10000, but only seemed to happen when going up, not down. It's almost like 8000 ISO switches something else on, maybe its noise reduction or the flicker reduction (I'll try turning the flicker reduction on and off later to see if that makes a difference)?  I don't know what it is but it has an almost fill flash effect in video and in the EVF / LCD. 

For my use case it's not a big deal at all, but if you're going from a well lit area to a dimly lit area it could mess up a shot (going from the outside of church into a sanctuary, or walking into a cave, etc).  I wish Fuji had a Kaizen submission site of some kind where we could upload examples of things happening to give the software designers better examples.  Their feedback process is quite lacking since contacting customer service has to go through 3 or 4 levels before it ever gets to the right department.

• Super Members

2018-10-02_07-23-43.thumb.jpg.f44f6443f8b27cafc9da859aff34cdad.jpg

First impressions of the Kipon Baveyes EF-FX Speedbooster.

The image looks nice but its to dark to really tell. Will test more tomorrow. Build quality is excellent.

2018-10-02_07-24-03.thumb.jpg.359609cd4d2b15385230489673637362.jpg

AF speed is like most adapters, ok but not as fast as native lenses or using the EFs on a Canon. Strangely the 85mm was faster than the 50mm. On all my others adapters it's been the other way around.

Like I said, its pitch black here. ISO through the roof and with an 85mm at "f1.2" the DOF is very shallow. I have raised the dogs face 5 stops. Long story short, peeping this image is pointless.

Does anyone have a recommendation for SD cards that work with 400Mbps in the X-T3? The cards recommended by Fuji are an overkill as far as required bitrate goes, and they are very expensive as well. Fuji says that V60 cards should work fine for 400Mbps, but I remember that this is not as easy as it sounds, some V60 cards had problems in the GH5, while some worked perfectly fine.

5 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for SD cards that work with 400Mbps in the X-T3? The cards recommended by Fuji are an overkill as far as required bitrate goes, and they are very expensive as well. Fuji says that V60 cards should work fine for 400Mbps, but I remember that this is not as easy as it sounds, some V60 cards had problems in the GH5, while some worked perfectly fine.

I was about to go out and buy a new card for the video (I already have a 32GB UHS-II card, but wanted something bigger for video). So I tried my old SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB, which is only rated V30, but so far it's worked like a champ with 4000Mbps All-I, no hiccups.