Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

1 minute ago, Brian Williams said:

I know, I hate this, now questioning whether I should return x-t3 while I can and get a second hand x-h1.

Yea, tricky one... I have no more (wedding) bookings until next spring, so can relax for a while and see if any XH2 rumours start circulating... If I hear nothing by the time I start shooting again, XT3 joins the gang on the gimbal and XT2 goes out to pasture. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, heart0less said:

Just stop looking for a 'better camera'.

There will always be a new one, just around the corner with better specs, etc.

You've already got one of the best consumer cameras available.

Go and enjoy it.

Won’t happen. Some will lie and give you an answer on how they agree and want a camera that can last them for years and years, etc. Not me! I don’t mind selling bodies or lenses and exploring, I have no horse in this race, don’t get paid for it, and love technology. It’s a hobby and regardless of the gear - I still go out and shoot. Not saying you are wrong by any means - in fact you’re right. But I love this arms race, shit, I might switch another 5 times for all I know. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but I like gear and exploring. 

4 minutes ago, crevice said:

Won’t happen. Some will lie and give you an answer on how they agree and want a camera that can last them for years and years, etc. Not me! I don’t mind selling bodies or lenses and exploring, I have no horse in this race, don’t get paid for it, and love technology. It’s a hobby and regardless of the gear - I still go out and shoot. Not saying you are wrong by any means - in fact you’re right. But I love this arms race and shit, I might switch another 5 times for all I know. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but I like gear and exploring. 

While that's certainly fun, it's worth noting that you are severely limiting yourself by not getting fully accustomed to one tool (while also spending money that you could buy lenses, tripods, whatever)

There is probably lot more in your current gear already, that you haven't even put to good use.

I don't even think of camera purchases as buying anymore, just long term rentals.

I bought the 5DIII used for about £1200, used it on various jobs and sold it for £900... Rental price for one year, £300. The headache only really comes when you are investing in glass too.... I'm now content with Fuji, so have started building up my glass collection. 

If the guy is not content with his gear, then why not change? There is usually something more than just gear lust driving a change like that.

50 minutes ago, padam said:

While that's certainly fun, it's worth noting that you are severely limiting yourself by not getting fully accustomed to one tool (while also spending money that you could buy lenses, tripods, whatever)

There is probably lot more in your current gear already, that you haven't even put to good use.

Padam - I have everything I need as far as tripods, etcs. I think if you read my post you’d see that selling Sony and switching to Fuji would put $4,000 back in my pocket. Been shooting Sony A7 since the original A7s, had the A7s, a7s2, a7r2, and now the a73. Very familiar with it. But again, I appreciate your and everyone’s opinion and that’s why I asked this to begin with.

I think I was hoping for more answers on the technical merits or downsides. 

19 minutes ago, crevice said:

I haven't used the A series since the A7s, but colour still seems to be mentioned alot. Ergonomics are better for the XT for most people. It sounds like the XT3 might just beat it on AF too. Downsides will be smaller sensor, not so great ISO (but still very good), less DR in still images, Auto WB shifts on the XT2/XH1, so that is worth checking for if you use AWB)

24 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Why switch to Fuji if you are happy with Sony tho? 

ISO seems to be the big step down if you switch to Fuji. Also no IBIS, though I don't really know how useful Sony IBIS is in video. 

I've found dynamic range on the XT2 to be beyond good, but I've never used a full frame sony to compare it with. 

I am not happy with the video side of things from Sony, in fact that’s an under statement. I don’t like the colors,and I hate working with Slog in 8 bit. That is why I wanted to go pocket 4k for video to accompany the Sony. Then I saw pocket 4 footage and though nice it was “meh”. This is when I started looking at the Fuji and was wondering if maybe Fuji could be my 1 stop shop for photos and video, allowing me to just use 1 body while saving me a sginicifcant amount of money (pocketing me about 4 grand). I should have explained that to begin with :)

In consluson - choices are spend more money and have 2 cameras, 1 for photos (Sony) and 1 for video (bmpcc4k) or have a single hybrid while saving money. My questions was more aimed at if any of you think the Fuji can go toe to toe with the pocket 4k visually, since I know pocket has it beat in codecs, and if the Fuji can go toe to toe with Sony visually. If it matches both or gets really close - than I hope you all see my point in the question  

I would say the main benefit of the Sony is clean high iso's in video and jpegs. I think you'll be happy with Fuji based on what you said. 

I haven't had a chance to play with Flog on the Fuji, but BM P4K is really impressive. It really blew the GH5's vlog out of the water in terms of highlight and shadow detail. I mean 14 bit raw is hard to beat. 

That said for me its the choice between the XT3, BMP4K, and the GH5S. Fuji wins it for me. The auto focus alone puts it above the other two. 10bit log is all I really need. 

2 hours ago, crevice said:

Padam - I have everything I need as far as tripods, etcs. I think if you read my post you’d see that selling Sony and switching to Fuji would put $4,000 back in my pocket. Been shooting Sony A7 since the original A7s, had the A7s, a7s2, a7r2, and now the a73. Very familiar with it. But again, I appreciate your and everyone’s opinion and that’s why I asked this to begin with.

Yep, you could almost buy an FS5II with that amount of money with very useful features like a variable ND and have an arguably less digital image, because of the low megapixel low rolling-shutter sensor, and much higher quality slow-motion than any stills camera (currently) and the option of raw output. I understand if it is too bulky for you or you are simply fed up with using Sony.

Here is the "Sony side"

I am sure the X-T3 has improved on several of these things, but some might still be problems.

But you know, you can switch to Fuji and possibly switch back to the A7SIII if it comes out with major improvements again. That's what I meant.

The battery life on the Fuji XT3 is about 45 minutes continuous recording. Auto focus is now as good as or better (in some areas) then Sony. No IBIS with the XT3 obviously and low light performance isn't as good. 

Speaking of innovative though Fuji is really being innovative right now which was a reason for me to go with the system. Plus lenses that are like 3 times smaller then full frame. 

16 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The battery life on the Fuji XT3 is about 45 minutes continuous recording. Auto focus is now as good as or better (in some areas) then Sony. No IBIS with the XT3 obviously and low light performance isn't as good. 

Speaking of innovative though Fuji is really being innovative right now which was a reason for me to go with the system. Plus lenses that are like 3 times smaller then full frame. 

With the Sony it can even hit 3 hours (but certainly 2.5 hours), that is a big difference. Although it can overheat in the meantime in FF 4k mode.

Sony has some small lenses are well like the 28/2 (optional converter) 35/2.8 55/1.8 85/1.8, the 24-70/4 OSS is also good enough for video use (APS-C mode is just a flick of a switch for more reach), but they need to fill out some more holes in their lens line-up rather than producing biggest and most expensive glass.

Fuji has a better lineup of small prime lenses, but some of them are not optimised for video AF , and they also don't have any image stabilisation (or the standard zoom being not constant F-stop)

5 minutes ago, padam said:

With the Sony it can even hit 3 hours (but certainly 2.5 hours), that is a big difference. Although it can overheat in the meantime in FF 4k mode.

Sony has some small lenses are well like the 28/2 (optional converter) 35/2.8 55/1.8 85/1.8, the 24-70/4 OSS is also good enough for video use, but they need to fill out some more holes in their lens line-up rather than producing biggest and most expensive glass.

Fuji has a better lineup of small prime lenses, but some of them are not optimised for video AF , and they also don't have any image stabilisation (or the standard zoom being not constant F-stop)

All good points. The one good thing is that I definitely know what to expect from Sony. I have used them for video for several years now. For me, though i can get as technical as the next person, it comes down to look.  Maybe its a small sample size, but so far, I simply like the way the footage looks on the XT-3 more than the BMPCC4K and the Sony A7III. I don't know, maybe when the BMPCC4K gets in more hands it will truly shine? But there are actually a lot of videos released for it and not 1 single one has really blew me away. 

8 minutes ago, crevice said:

All good points. The one good thing is that I definitely know what to expect from Sony. I have used them for video for several years now. For me, though i can get as technical as the next person, it comes down to look.  Maybe its a small sample size, but so far, I simply like the way the footage looks on the XT-3 more than the BMPCC4K and the Sony A7III. I don't know, maybe when the BMPCC4K gets in more hands it will truly shine? But there are actually a lot of videos released for it and not 1 single one has really blew me away. 

Yes, that's why I brought up the FS5II

Obviously an older sensor, not FF, no stabilisation, no phase-detect AF and an external recorder is kind of a "very useful accessory" (finder and LCD are both quite crap) but the handling is great, and I think it has a more pleasing image, although it is still very much a Sony.

I'd be going with the Black Magic if it modern age auto focus but it doesn't. The nice thing about the Pocket is it has quite good ISO performance. 

Still Fuji is the camera for me. A cinema cam will definitely have advantages, being able to use more reliable cables like SDI rather then HDMI or micro hdmi.  

I like a really small setup though so its hard to beat the Fuji, especially with 10 bit internal 4k. 

10 minutes ago, sanveer said:

10-bit 422 shouldn't even be called 10-bit. It's not appropriate IMHO

It's 10-bit 4:2:0 internal

I also don't understand why. 10-bit in the GH5 will be a "game changer", they said.

And yet there are still people switching to older, bigger, way more expensive 1DX II cameras with out of date 8-bit codecs and no Log, because it has a more pleasing image.

Don't get me wrong, it is great to have, it is just not the only thing that matters.