Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, deezid said:

will share some PNGs tomorrow, even some comparisons.

I'd even much appreciate FUJI might send you some unit to you there for testing it out. I'd say the same to the other brand under our spotlight these hot days... @CaptainHook @John Brawley Rather than those Asian testers not only geographically distant from their European customers, left to the end of the road as seems so. October arrived.

"Photokina is much more than a show of new products", as they say. Well, 'media convergence' nowadays too.

2 hours ago, deezid said:

Tried the X-T3 at photokina. 

Not impressed.
Recorded some footage on my SD card in the new 400mbps intraframe codec. Turned noise reduction, sharpening as well as inter frame noise reduction completely off.
In both Astia and F-log faces and even textiles look like a paintbrush was applied. Faces look horrible and lifeless and waxy as well.

Both my GH5 and A7III looked way better and more natural in comparison...
Well, will wait for the BM Pocket 4K then.

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

As discussed before, HEVC smoothing filters SAO and SIS contributed to that waxiness.

I own the camera and haven't seen any ”waxiness” yet, and trust me, I was concerned about this with the X-T2. Maybe  you don't know how to operate the camera properly?

1 minute ago, Young said:

I own the camera and haven't seen any ”waxiness” yet, and trust me, I was concerned about this with the X-T2. Maybe  you don't know how to operate the camera properly?

The waxiness reminded me of what the selfie cam of my OnePlus 6 does, but the Fuji applies it to other hues as well. Maybe you don't notice it because you have no camera which doesn't do it?
That's why I think @androidlad may be right here. Might be interesting to see if external recording solves the issue.
And no, the GH5 doesn't really suffer from that, nor does the A7III (the codec is still bad though).

Noise reduction (even inter frame) and sharpening were completely turned off.
ISO at 640 native. DR400 for ASTIA. 400mbit intra frame and 200mbit long gop H265 were used and looked identical. 

2 minutes ago, deezid said:

The waxiness reminded me of what the selfie cam of my OnePlus 6 does, but the Fuji applies it to other hues as well. Maybe you don't notice it because you have no camera which doesn't do it?
That's why I think @androidlad may be right here. Might be interesting to see if external recording solves the issue.
And no, the GH5 doesn't really suffer from that, nor does the A7III (the codec is still bad though).

Noise reduction (even inter frame) and sharpening were completely turned off.
ISO at 640 native. DR400 for ASTIA. 400mbit intra frame and 200mbit long gop H265 were used and looked identical. 

I own the A7rIII which produces a vile image color wise compared to the x-t3 eterna and I sold my GH5 because I hated the skin tones. So I don't know what you're seeing. And you can't turn the noise reduction ”completely off” on neither the x-t3 or the GH5. On the Fuji, you can set it to -4. It'd be interesting to hear from fellow owners and real world users what they think. Maybe @Andrew Reid can chime in?

I just bought the GH5s brand new on a sick deal hear in Sweden though. 1000€ including sd card and extra battery. I believe in the color science of the GH5s. The GH5, not so much.

8 minutes ago, Young said:

I own the A7rIII which produces a vile image color wise compared to the x-t3 eterna and I sold my GH5 because I hated the skin tones. So I don't know what you're seeing. And you can't turn the noise reduction ”completely off” on neither the x-t3 or the GH5. On the Fuji, you can set it to -4. It'd be interesting to hear from fellow owners and real world users what they think. Maybe @Andrew Reid can chime in?

You can't get rid of the waxiness as well as lack of definition and texture of skin, while you can easily fix colors in post.
Astia
Inter frame NR: OFF
Lowered highlights a tiny bit
Brightened shadows a tiny bit
Sharpening -4
NR: -4
(F-log showed the same issue)

The Sony was running my custom profile using Still gamma and Pro color mode and some other tweaks.
Guess which camera looked better.  

1 minute ago, deezid said:

You can't get rid of the waxiness as well as lack of definition and texture of skin, while you can easily fix colors in post.
Inter frame NR: OFF
Sharpening -4
NR: -4

The Sony was running my custom profile using Still gamma and Pro color mode and some other tweaks.
Guess which camera looked better.  

I guess the Fuji looked better and that your Sony had all kinds of wonky color issues which would take hours for you to fix in post, introducing nasty artifacts. And then they still wouldn't look right :)

5 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Some skin tone comparisons with the Sony A73 (with EOSHD Pro Color) at 8:05

He sounds just like I did when I first started shooting with the X-T2.

For content creation, neither one is ideal.

Just get a $500 G7, use the remote app and save yourself a bundle. 

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

He sounds just like I did when I first started shooting with the X-T2.

For content creation, neither one is ideal.

Just get a $500 G7, use the remote app and save yourself a bundle. 

You're always talking about remote apps, what is the fascination? My gear acquisition syndrome has taken me through countless cameras over the years and I've never found a time when I used any camera's wifi app for anything other than transferring jpgs to my phone.

14 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

You're always talking about remote apps, what is the fascination? My gear acquisition syndrome has taken me through countless cameras over the years and I've never found a time when I used any camera's wifi app for anything other than transferring jpgs to my phone.

I'm talking about remote apps because he's talking about vlogging and neither camera has a flippy screen. The fuji app is restricted to 720p and Sony's app is primitive, though it does allow 4K.

But I'm glad your needs and wants take precedence over everyone else's. Got a problem with my recommending the G7?

There happens to be a lot of interest in remote apps in our community.

Why don't you crawl back into your cave?

I've been shooting weddings with the xt2 and xh1 all year and skintones are my bread and butter... I've never seen waxiness (I've owned/used near every camera brand on the market).

I never touch the in camera highlight/shadow settings and always use manual WB. Always protect my highlights on the skin. Always use or apply eterna as my base lut/simulation... maybe that helps?

After further looking into the footage. I had a clip with Astia at 0/0 for highlights and shadows with still waxy skin, but F-Log recorded scenes look way better and thanks to the new codec show no banding at all.

ISO6400 is extremely clean as well - only if both iterations of noise reduction are off or down completely. With noise reduction enabled noise becomes bigger with a huge loss of detail very much like the GH4 did. 

8 minutes ago, deezid said:

After further looking into the footage. I had a clip with Astia at 0/0 for highlights and shadows with still waxy skin, but F-Log recorded scenes look way better and thanks to the new codec show no banding at all.

ISO6400 is extremely clean as well - only if both iterations of noise reduction are off or down completely. With noise reduction enabled noise becomes bigger with a huge loss of detail very much like the GH4 did. 

What? I don’t find waxiness to be an issue but I would never use this camera past iso3200, iso6400 is not “extremely clean”. Wtf are you talking about?