Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@DBounce Looks really nice, thanks for doing your initial review.  I only have one complaint, your background music sounds like the opening chords to "I want it that way" by the backstreet boys and now I have that horrid song in my head.

I tried doing some editing last night on my 2015 MacBook Pro in the latest version of Final Cut Pro X and editing the 10bit h.265 was a terrible experience.  I didn't have my SSD array connected and just used the onboard hard drive so I couldn't create proxies.  Definitely going to have to use the big rig to edit footage from this little tyrant of a camera. 

59 minutes ago, CyclingBen said:

@DBounce Looks really nice, thanks for doing your initial review.  I only have one complaint, your background music sounds like the opening chords to "I want it that way" by the backstreet boys and now I have that horrid song in my head.

I tried doing some editing last night on my 2015 MacBook Pro in the latest version of Final Cut Pro X and editing the 10bit h.265 was a terrible experience.  I didn't have my SSD array connected and just used the onboard hard drive so I couldn't create proxies.  Definitely going to have to use the big rig to edit footage from this little tyrant of a camera. 

Thanks. And yes, the 265 10 bit is a bear, but proxies make it doable. I plan to get the Atomos Ninja V when it comes out, so perhaps that will be a good workaround. I am also curious how this footage will hold up relative to the Ninja V footage. I still plan to get the Blackmagic P4k to check it out. But that said the Fuji will be my main travel camera from here on out. So power for its size and though small easy to handle. 

1 hour ago, Stathman said:

Can you share any h265 10bit files to play with?

24 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Yes please, someone do this.

I saw and downloaded this: https://vimeo.com/288859455 But the playback is nuts. Especially with the cars coming directly at the camera. Can anyone confirm that this is also in the final release?

I can upload something right now, but it'll be from inside my office and possibly quite boring.

Also, what do you mean by "confirm that this is also in the final release?" Playback being nuts? Thats means its stuttering?

1 minute ago, Brian Williams said:

Also, what do you mean by "confirm that this is also in the final release?" Playback being nuts? Thats means its stuttering?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. 

When the cars are coming around the last corner, they kind of judder through the frame. This happens when the clip is played at the original 50fps and slowed to 25fps. 

This footage is from a test day Fuji held for the camera, so I thought it could have been unfinished firmware or something like that.

Here is some unedited footage you guys can play with. I'll be curious how you grade it. On an interesting side note discounting the wind noise, the audio in the clip is quite good and the mics are stereo. I think in a quite environment you might be able to get away with in-camera audio. I did not expect that. Honestly, I usually just mic my subject if they are speaking, but in a pinch these built in mics might work.

• Super Members
35 minutes ago, DBounce said:

On an interesting side note discounting the wind noise, the audio in the clip is quite good and the mics are stereo. I think in a quite environment you might be able to get away with in-camera audio. I did not expect that. Honestly, I usually just mic my subject if they are speaking, but in a pinch these built in mics might work.

As you say, disregarding the wind noise, I was quite surprised how good it was when he was reading the names out.

I'd be interested to in how much you could get away with in a pinch if it had a set of the Rycote Micro Windjammers attached.

Just now, CyclingBen said:

Here are some samples that I've been able to take in my limited amount of time at home the last few days.  All shot with the 18-55mm. Most of it is in 4k h.265 10 bit the rest is 120p 10 bit. I did do a touchscreen focus test as requested. I also made sure to put in some annoying stock music ?

Thanks for the test, did you use DR400 with Eterna? You get about 12 stops of DR.

2 hours ago, androidlad said:

What do you mean? Some of the shots have harsh highlight clipping, I think if you used DR400 with Eterna you would have better highlight roll-off. On X-T2 the DR mode isn't available in video mode.

This was posted earlier in the thread, but if you look at his test of FLog converted to Eterna vs Eterna straight out of the camera, the FLog retained way more detail in the highlights, which makes sense. I don't know enough about DR mode to know if it wouldve made a difference here.

Just now, Brian Williams said:

This was posted earlier in the thread, but if you look at his test of FLog converted to Eterna vs Eterna straight out of the camera, the FLog retained way more detail in the highlights, which makes sense. I don't know enough about DR mode to know if it wouldve made a difference here.

DR400 in Eterna would definitely make a difference, since they both share the same base ISO of 640. I'd think of it as Eterna LUT applied internally.