Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So far I am loving this camera.  Makes shooting stills fun again as I can take it anywhere. Had it out yesterday, reviewing the footage I feel it looks great.  Though I did overexpose the sky in several clips.  I did not set the Dynamic Range setting correctly for the high contrast scene. I don't think I have seen this setting before, so my bag. I will try to recreate the conditions with proper settings. 

Also my ND seemed to not work well on this camera. Perhaps something to do with filters within the cameras. 

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The X-T3 has BluetoothLE for remote control and file transfer as well as wifi.

It remains to be seen how this is implemented in their app but once it is then its not beyond the bounds of possibility that some enterprising soul can replicate it to knock together a top display for it that sits in the hotshot using this small and cheap ESP32 board with integrated OLED display if anyone really wanted one. 

IMG_20170629_223034.thumb.jpg.818f77cd00f97d0ad782d293141e4022.jpg

I can imagine it now :)

Range of function buttons next to the OLED in the hotshoe.

Instant toggling on/off of F-LOG (because you can't assign it to a fn. button on the camera)

Hopefully a bluetooth / wifi hack can toggle between stills and movie mode too... To save us the hassle of that drive lever in the inaccessible top left corner!

Just now, DBounce said:

It's the x pattern thing. Maybe I need to use non variable NDs.

What's not working well about it? Colour shifts?

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I can imagine it now :)

Range of function buttons next to the OLED in the hotshoe.

Instant toggling on/off of F-LOG (because you can't assign it to a fn. button on the camera)

Hopefully a bluetooth / wifi hack can toggle between stills and movie mode too... To save us the hassle of that drive lever in the inaccessible top left corner!

What's not working well about it? Colour shifts?

It’s the X patterns from the variable ND. 

• Administrators

Maybe you're just seeing the flaw in the ND for the first time due to extremely flat F-LOG and smooth 10bit tonality?

Was it a very low contrast shot which had the shift?

I've used a cheap vari-nd on my X-H1 and had no issues. Got a B+W nano coming soon, will try that on the X-T3.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:51 PM, Andrew Reid said:

L1160654b.jpg

X-T3 in da house!

Just a quick glimpse at the image, but I already have a feeling it's the best I've ever seen from a camera this price. Wonderful codec and detail.

And here I am waiting for the soon-to-be-released EOSHD v4 Pro LOG.. 

( :

Good for you, Andrew.

Can't wait for some sample footage. 

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You look at a top display to see ISO, shutter speed, exposure comp... Well those are clearly visible from the top of the camera because they are physical dials on the X-T3, so the top LCD is more a nicety than a must-have here. I do prefer the ergonomics of the X-H1 but they are both nice to be honest.

Got the battery grip as well, it feels like a mini 1D X II with that attached.

Exactly. I like the additional info I get on the top display on the X-H1, battery, card space, format, etc. But its not as critical on a fuji since iso, shutter and aperture is there anyway.

Agreed on the grip as well. Ive switched from a X-T2 to X-Pro2/X-E3 two times due to the gripe. Good to see that the new battery grip takes care of the "issue".

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe you're just seeing the flaw in the ND for the first time due to extremely flat F-LOG and smooth 10bit tonality?

Was it a very low contrast shot which had the shift?

I've used a cheap vari-nd on my X-H1 and had no issues. Got a B+W nano coming soon, will try that on the X-T3.

Cheap NDs are a bit of a gamble ... poor construction and major color issues.

Some think that vari-nd filters really mess with skin tones.

Might be preferable to use simple nd filters ... although it is a major pain in varying light conditions if one does not want to 

change aperture and shutter speed.

Here is a fairly good question answer thread from Shane Hurlbut ... in it he states that he avoids variable NDs ...

https://www.thehurlblog.com/film-lighting-polarizing-filters-powerful-filmmaking-tools/

Yeah Cheap ND's and log don't mix well. 

That guys 120fps video was shot at 200 shutter speed so that might account for the choppiness. Still wondering if the 120fps is 10bit???? 

Why do pros need the top display?

I am also curious to see what the XT30(XT20 step up) is going to have. Maybe less FPS for stills, no 120fps or log? If it has 10bit it seems like log would make sense though. 

Dual channel phantom power ... then XLR to mini cables.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/406897-REG/Denecke_PS_2_PS_2_Portable_Dual.html

These are dead quiet but eat batteries ...

Perhaps a better solution is a PIX-E5 external recorder with a PIX-LR ... pro grade preamps and limiters and LED monitoring. Or an Atomos recorder.

Bob

16 hours ago, jonpais said:

But there’s no top display on the X-T3, so it’ll probably only remain relevant for the next 4-1/2 years.

And no IBIS. 

I see the X-T3 as a camera which will be quickly surpassed by Fuji, if I was considering a X-T3 then I'd just hold off instead. 

5 hours ago, docmoore said:

Dual channel phantom power ... then XLR to mini cables.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/406897-REG/Denecke_PS_2_PS_2_Portable_Dual.html

These are dead quiet but eat batteries ...

Perhaps a better solution is a PIX-E5 external recorder with a PIX-LR ... pro grade preamps and limiters and LED monitoring. Or an Atomos recorder.

Bob

Why do people need dual P48 on a X-T3? Perhaps if dual booming an interview set up?

But otherwise a VMP doesn't need P48, neither does a wireless RX