Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

15 hours ago, Jay60p said:

Those quick tests were with the 10-24 zoom on continuous auto focus.

I just noticed that auto focus affects the auto ISO smoothness at 60p.

Switching to manual focus and viewing the auto ISO in viewfinder shows a smooth auto ISO exposure change at 4K DCI 200mbps HEVC 60p...

Actually, no. It's smooth in the viewfinder until you start recording the shot, then the intermittent auto ISO returns in 4k60. The pauses come at about one stop adjustment at a time, so not a problem at small exposure changes.

2K60 and 4k24, 4k30 are fine, no more ISO stepping even over a 5 stop ISO adjustment.

If you are shooting with manual SLR zooms that are not constant aperture, the auto ISO will adjust the exposure for you smoothly as you zoom, at medium to slow speeds. Auto ISO response will lag behind fast zooms.

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

AF seems more responsive on first shine. Also this is my first experience with the stepless auto ISO, which is welcome. 

However, I think the charging via USB has changed. A plug-in charger I used before doesn’t light the green power light any more. My PD power bank still does though. 

hello need some help with autofocus in videomode. With all change made form firmware, and also because i have never used that much my xt3 i don't have still so clear how to use it

Mainly, for now, i want to be able to control focus either by pressing with my finger on the screen , to have that part in focus. Or, once i have set my focus box somewhere in the screen the focus should be always automatically in that box, wheter i move the camera or what is in front of my camera change or move

I have notice that if the camera autofocus on a part on its own, is slower than if i tap on the screen t focus. And sometimes that slowness is better.but i don t exactly know how it works

The use of that function on the screen, the hand with finger on upper right corner, yet it is no very clear. AF,area,off,shot..If i set it to AF, when i tap the screen goes to off,,,

well i have some  confusion, for start i woul like to know how to focus in the 2 ways above, while mantaining face detection. Btw, can detect 2 faces?

thank you

hello need some help with autofocus in videomode. With all change made form firmware, and also because i have never used that much my xt3 i don't have still so clear how to use it

Mainly, for now, i want to be able to control focus either by pressing with my finger on the screen , to have that part in focus. Or, once i have set my focus box somewhere in the screen the focus should be always automatically in that box, wheter i move the camera or what is in front of my camera change or move

I have notice that if the camera autofocus on a part on its own, is slower than if i tap on the screen t focus. And sometimes that slowness is better.but i don t exactly know how it works

The use of that function on the screen, the hand with finger on upper right corner, yet it is no very clear. AF,area,off,shot..If i set it to AF, when i tap the screen goes to off,,,

well i have some  confusion, for start i woul like to know how to focus in the 2 ways above, while mantaining face detection. Btw, can detect 2 faces?

thank you

1 hour ago, stefanocps said:

thank you

Use AF-C and position your focus box to where you want.

Turn off Face detection as well, it can detect more than 5 faces and you can assign a button to change faces.

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

Use AF-C and position your focus box to where you want.

Turn off Face detection as well, it can detect more than 5 faces and you can assign a button to change faces.

hi thanks..you said relevant things but i don t understand how to manage 🙂

af c and postiion the focus box where i want. ok. you mean , by using the finger tap or using the button? would like to have a detailed explanation if you vcan

also aout the face detection, you said to turn it off, why? and how do i move between faces with button?

thank you

On 11/1/2020 at 7:13 PM, Stefano Capasso said:

thank you

please remove this user

i made a mistake and enter using a google linke dprofile, forgot i have one with a registered mail. So please, i am the same user Stefano Capasso can be removed"

thanks moderator

hello  need some suggestion with grading. My xt3 does beautiful images, but at times grading is needed absolutely to make the footage looking like "films". It is a pity to have such a beautiful camera and have sometimes result that is so far from any kind of cinema look; it looks too real. If i see it on my pc is still not so bad, but on my tv no ....

I attach a frame and i ask you what would you do. I have done some work on contrast and saturation

Please give me some hint..i will study cc soon because i find it so important...

thank you

immagine_2020-11-10_095423.png

10 hours ago, stefanocps said:

hello  need some suggestion with grading. My xt3 does beautiful images, but at times grading is needed absolutely to make the footage looking like "films". It is a pity to have such a beautiful camera and have sometimes result that is so far from any kind of cinema look; it looks too real. If i see it on my pc is still not so bad, but on my tv no ....

I attach a frame and i ask you what would you do. I have done some work on contrast and saturation

Please give me some hint..i will study cc soon because i find it so important...

Lens choice, lighting, and location are the key for getting a "movie" look. 

In terms of color I'd highly recommend the GHA lut. Can't beat the Alexa for color. May not be your final look of course but its a good starting point. But again if you have a crappy location with crappy lighting your movie probably won't look much like a "movie"

13 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Lens choice, lighting, and location are the key for getting a "movie" look. 

In terms of color I'd highly recommend the GHA lut. Can't beat the Alexa for color. May not be your final look of course but its a good starting point. But again if you have a crappy location with crappy lighting your movie probably won't look much like a "movie"

yes that is for sure, about lighting and location. But, for instance, what about outdoor? with natural light i can still see a big difference. Not as big as indoor of course. I don t' really look for a "movie look" but at least not to look "too real", you know what i mean. Lens yes, that can make difference, may be using some vintage ones, not having cine lens can help?

Where do i find the GHA lut?do i need to shoot in flog for better using it?

On 11/11/2020 at 4:46 AM, stefanocps said:

yes that is for sure, about lighting and location. But, for instance, what about outdoor? with natural light i can still see a big difference. Not as big as indoor of course. I don t' really look for a "movie look" but at least not to look "too real", you know what i mean. Lens yes, that can make difference, may be using some vintage ones, not having cine lens can help?

Where do i find the GHA lut?do i need to shoot in flog for better using it?

I'd say cine lenses are more for function than look. Of course stuff like focus breathing is also eliminated on a cine lens which effects the look. However a lot of vintage glass both Canon FD and Zeiss are very similar if not identical some of the Canon or Zeiss cine glass. 

The Sigma Art line will give you a pretty much perfect image at a low price point at least in regard to contrast and sharpness. 

But I was talking more about lens choice. Focal length and f-stop. 

Outdoors dynamic range plays a huge roll in how filmic your image will look. That said the XT3 in FLOG and HLG has pretty damn good dynamic range. Again its about picking the right shot. If a certain shot is stressing your cameras dynamic range too much, change the angle. 

Artificial lighting does play a role outdoors too though. Many Hollywood films will use powerful 6k + lights to shape light when there is full sun. Also negative fill and diffusion are widely used outdoors to shape light. 

Search GHAlex or Emotive Color on google and you'll find his page. You either have to shoot in HLG or FLOG I believe. 

Yeah just small things like choosing the right DOF for the type of shot you are doing and the feel you want. 

I'd say locations may be the most important thing. Some locations you hardly have to do anything to, they just look good. Same with actors too honestly. Some actors have a Hollywood look and of course having actors who can deliver lines professionally is huge. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 7:12 AM, Topcat said:

Hi all - Just made my first video ever. Used the newly acquired X-T3. Also used the new Feiyu AK2000 and my first time using any gimbal. I was later able to use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable to start/stop recording from the gimbal and also acquire focus though I wasn't able to use it for this video. Got the X-T3 because I wanted to have our wedding video be in 4K HDR and this seemed to be the only economical way to do it. I also have some graded HDR test clips shot from the X-T3 but I cannot find it right now. Unfortunately Resolve doesn't seem to do HEVC export or 10 bit H.264 so this is exported and uploaded as 8 bit.

Hi Topcat, do you still have the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable? Is it a self-made cable 2,5 mm stereo to 3,5 mm stereo? Do you remember the pin assignment? Or can you measure it? Thank you for your help.

151px-3.5mm_jack_plug_3_norm.svg.png

On 12/9/2020 at 8:41 AM, manschgerl said:

Hi Topcat, do you still have the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable? Is it a self-made cable 2,5 mm stereo to 3,5 mm stereo? Do you remember the pin assignment? Or can you measure it? Thank you for your help.

151px-3.5mm_jack_plug_3_norm.svg.png

Here is a diagram I worked out for the X-T3:

791941225_FUJIREMOTESWITCH.thumb.jpg.d0e84f75561e76371452277f19365fac.jpg

This is what I found inside my Vello remote for X-T3.

I attached external wiring to 2 & 3 for remotely firing off frames when digitizing my Arri II 35mm timelapse footage, a frame at a time run by a geared down motor. The X-T3 results are excellent. My major project at the moment.

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2019 at 8:29 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

H265 or H264 at 200mbps Long GOP

My monitor works recording at 120fps and I don't believe it can preview 120fps (guessing 30 as its just a cheap $150 monitor). 

Hi - can I ask what monitor you’re using!? I can’t find one that isn’t the ninja v that says it will work with the x-t3 or x-t4 while shooting at 1080p 120. Nightmare!