Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, keessie65 said:

screenshot from a film I am now editing. Halfway the hike in Austria the SSD from my Ninja V was full, so I stored new footage on SD card. In Premiere CC I edit both and Ninja files are faster to render than H265 from card....

NINJAV_S001_S001_T282.00_04_26_11.Still001.jpg

sure they are, h265 is a nightmare for ressources. transcode the files or do some proxies files. but the ninja v are supposed to be better anyway 422 vs 420

nice image. anamorphic i guess :)

frames from my next one too, these were my first images with the xt3.

californight palm_1.47.1_1.47.1.png

californight vegas_1.57.1.png

californight_1.113.1.png

Renting the XT-3 this upcoming week. Smashed my Nikon 24-70 that I use on my Z6, and it's potential replacement cost has me reconsidering my whole setup.

Nikon Z Lens Kit: $5450
Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S  $2,300
Nikon 70-200 Z Probably at least $2300
Nikon 35mm Z $850

Fuji XT-3 Lens Kit: $3250   ( I know I would not get the same look, but coverage right now is more important.)
Fuji 16-55 2.8 $1200
Fuji 50-140 2.8 $1600
Fuji 23mm $450

Not to mention Fuji's cheaper and much lighter primes.

We shall see....

On 9/8/2019 at 7:30 AM, Geoff CB said:

Fuji XT-2 Lens Kit: $3250   ( I know I would not get the same look, but coverage right now is more important.)

The Nikon Z6 is a much more advanced camera than the X-T2

(a fair comparison to try and make might be X-T3 vs Z6??)

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Nikon Z6 is a much more advanced camera than the X-T2

(a fair comparison to try and make might be X-T3 vs Z6??)

6 hours ago, ade towell said:

I'm sure Geoff meant XT3

Yes I meant XT-3. One of the issues I'm having with the Z6 is that so much of my work ends up on a 2048x858 Theater Screen at 24 fps. I'm a Theater Manager in Massachusetts and that is the format that we display our preshow and some mini documentaries which is the majority of the content that I create. So currently I'm shooting 4K on my Z6 and have to change the format from 23.967 to 24 for everything I do. Small issue for most people, but annoying for me because I have to do it constantly. (Side note: people defending Canon for leaving it out of their new body, I can never even consider using that camera because of the lack of 23.967.) 

So the XT-3's internal 2048x1080 24p and good audio is very appealing for my weekly work needs. We'll see how it performs after some testing on my end.

My main worry is the battery life on the camera. Hated the A7rII's battery and how often that was an issue with it. Thankfully the XT-3 you can power through the USB-C port, so I'm hoping it will be less of an issue. Have 4 paid shoots on top of work related material that I need to shoot in the next two weeks, so I can really see if it fits into my workflow. Really it's about being able to do my job and shoot fast, getting the coverage I need and deliver. Camera brand should be secondary to that, otherwise it is just playing favorites. I would be looking into the panasonics as well, but m43 sensor is to small for my liking (will be using this camera for stills as well) and the new full frame bodies are huge and the glass is lethally expensive on them. 

3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Yes I meant XT-3. One of the issues I'm having with the Z6 is that so much of my work ends up on a 2048x858 Theater Screen at 24 fps. I'm a Theater Manager in Massachusetts and that is the format that we display our preshow and some mini documentaries which is the majority of the content that I create. So currently I'm shooting 4K on my Z6 and have to change the format from 23.967 to 24 for everything I do. Small issue for most people, but annoying for me because I have to do it constantly. (Side note: people defending Canon for leaving it out of their new body, I can never even consider using that camera because of the lack of 23.967.) 

So the XT-3's internal 2048x1080 24p and good audio is very appealing for my weekly work needs. We'll see how it performs after some testing on my end.

My main worry is the battery life on the camera. Hated the A7rII's battery and how often that was an issue with it. Thankfully the XT-3 you can power through the USB-C port, so I'm hoping it will be less of an issue. Have 4 paid shoots on top of work related material that I need to shoot in the next two weeks, so I can really see if it fits into my workflow. Really it's about being able to do my job and shoot fast, getting the coverage I need and deliver. Camera brand should be secondary to that, otherwise it is just playing favorites. I would be looking into the panasonics as well, but m43 sensor is to small for my liking (will be using this camera for stills as well) and the new full frame bodies are huge and the glass is lethally expensive on them. 

indeed yo can power it with a pd power bank and it can last almost all day with a 20000mah, add for example the smallrig powerbank holder on your cage and there you go

Yup. I power mine all day on a typical 10-12 hour wedding shoot and the Anker battery pack rarely uses up more than 1/3rd of it's available stored power.

This is not continuous use obviously, but still typically 100-150GB of 4k 25p or 50p capture at 200mbs. With a single internal Fuji battery.

I have the battery pack gaffer taped to the monopod and now that I have 2x XT3's for next season will get another power bank and gaffer tape that to my tripod the other camera works from.

new fw 3.01 https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt3/index.html

doesn't change much, only fixes "The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, the message of “TURN OFF THE CAMERA AND TURN ON AGAIN” can appear in the drive mode of “S” when you repeatedly and rapidly take photos in a short time"

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

new fw 3.01 https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt3/index.html

doesn't change much, only fixes "The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, the message of “TURN OFF THE CAMERA AND TURN ON AGAIN” can appear in the drive mode of “S” when you repeatedly and rapidly take photos in a short time"

There will be a major feature update to follow, be patient ?

4 hours ago, thephoenix said:

doesn't change much, only fixes "The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, the message of “TURN OFF THE CAMERA AND TURN ON AGAIN”

I was not aware that Fuji cameras uses Windows Me as operational system. :)