Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Long time lurker here, and happy to finally join in. I just got my X-T3 2 weeks ago, and I'm in love. It checks all the boxes for me now. Best camera I've had since my beloved D700. Now I have an issue with 120p /5x here. I shot some clips but they are really soft, was actually pretty shocked. Then I checked and the data rate in QT was hovering around 40 Mbit/s. What's going on here? What settings am I fucking up?

12 hours ago, thephoenix said:

to me the real question is "will it still be there after transcoding to prores or dnxhr" because you don't want to work with h265 files directly in resolve. or you have to create proxy files.

did a test and i had a clear difference in red

If you convert your clips anyway, why don't you convert the matrix? It's a bulletproof solution to this issue which I described in my video I recommended you to watch.
Or if you prefer a written version, here it is at the bottom of the page: http://colorizer.net/index.php?op=technical
It uses FFMPEG.

2 hours ago, thephoenix said:

Got a 5D

I still use the Canon lenses I mentioned on a 5D3 with magic lantern when the scene is on a tripod, but the 5D3 doesn't have continuous video AF at all. (That's what I have the Fuji for, y'know?)

For 'S' autofocus, à la the 5D3, the autofocus of the Fuji with an adapter is slow, but then it doesn't make that much of a difference. It eventually focuses and that is it until you ask it to refocus.

The OP didn't really say what his use case is. ;)

Well i am more of a manual focus person when It comes to video. But when i tried my Tamron af with the fringer It was really good  to me. And It was prior to fw  3.0

The Tamron Is quite new. so is the af It uses. maybe that Is  the beginning of an answer. Make also sure your fringer fw is up to date     

Will test the 85mm 1.4 from canon too but will be in 2 weeks as I am on a trip at the moment.

8 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Well i am more of a manual focus person when It comes to video. But when i tried my Tamron af with the fringer It was really good  to me. And It was prior to fw  3.0

The Tamron Is quite new. so is the af It uses. maybe that Is  the beginning of an answer. Make also sure your fringer fw is up to date     

Will test the 85mm 1.4 from canon too but will be in 2 weeks as I am on a trip at the moment.

Yep. I'm all up to date on the fw, and all the lenses are on Fringer's supported list. So it was all a bit disappointing for me -- though I'd never used lenses with an adapter before. I didn't know what to expect, and I thought it was all part of the deal.

In similar conditions, those L lenses' AF is really reliable on a Canon body. They were super on the 70D, and still bringing home the bacon on the 5D3. ?

4 minutes ago, andrew_dotdot said:

Yep. I'm all up to date on the fw, and all the lenses are on Fringer's supported list. So it was all a bit disappointing for me -- though I'd never used lenses with an adapter before. I didn't know what to expect, and I thought it was all part of the deal.

In similar conditions, those L lenses' AF is really reliable on a Canon body. They were super on the 70D, and still bringing home the bacon on the 5D3. ?

don't know the lenses you have but i know some canon lenses can have bad af.

sold my 50mm and 85mm both 1.2 because the af were such a pain.

got the 100mm 2.8 macro who's af is not that great too but at least it is really sharp and has is. Is is also why i bought the 85 1.4 but never used it yet ? will do some day but the crop factor with the fringer makes it too long for me i guess.  but i am sure its af is pretty good too as it is a really recent build lense.

• Super Members

For me Canon lenses AF on Fuji for stills stretches from mediocre to usable. Compared to as advertised on a Canon body (both mirror and DPAF).

For video on a Fuji the Canon lenses AF stretches from bad to absolutely unusable. Compared to really really good on a Canon body with DPAF.

I've tried 28/1.8, 50/1.8 STM, 85mm f1.8, 200/2.8L and a bunch of zooms.

19 hours ago, thephoenix said:

ok, but i never found a clear workflow for rcm. and the more i read the more i get confused.

I hope that in the final version of resolve 16, there will be a F-log preset in the input color space. Now, you have to tinker. A possible solution, in the RCM input color space, I choose ArriLogC (this log is very close to F-log) and I add an OFX gamut mapping (tone mapping simple method) and I get a good starting point for grading, without LUT. On stills, you can compare this method to a delog with the LUT WDR Fuji. (the green on the pullover is more accurate with ArrilogC)

RCM_ArrilogC.jpg

WDR fuji LUT.jpg

Shot a water sports festival with X-T3, hugely empowered by the enhanced face detection in the latest firmware, face select also came in handy when switching subject.

F-log, HEVC 400Mbps LongGOP, sharpness and NR -4,  custom WB.

Graded with GHalex LUT, simple contrast/saturation adjustments

A couple observations:

1. Face detection does not work at all with sunglasses, would be great if it could.

2. To get the purest colours from X-T3, custom WB is the way to go! Use a proper white/neutral grey card to set a custom WB to the key light.

391266432_Timeline1_ACAM2001_0136.thumb.jpg.618df5b1fe88d0b097f40564ef231dd0.jpg

1390471448_Timeline1_ACAM1998_0027.thumb.jpg.8c908df515c56ee3d750cf67b7b358ee.jpg

1483635035_Timeline1_ACAM2031_0333.thumb.jpg.53cc4c92a162835921977ee7e9fb83d2.jpg

On 5/25/2019 at 5:06 PM, motelhell said:

Long time lurker here, and happy to finally join in. I just got my X-T3 2 weeks ago, and I'm in love. It checks all the boxes for me now. Best camera I've had since my beloved D700. Now I have an issue with 120p /5x here. I shot some clips but they are really soft, was actually pretty shocked. Then I checked and the data rate in QT was hovering around 40 Mbit/s. What's going on here? What settings am I fucking up?

120P is recorded in 200Mbps bitrate, conformed to 24P it's 40Mbps, for LongGOP it's an acceptable bitrate.

The perceived softness comes from the readout modes, it's a hybrid of pixel-binning and line-skipping, so definitely won't be as detailed as 4K oversampling.

But still, it's the most detailed, relatively artifacts-free FHD 120P out there.

“Shot a water sports festival with X-T3, hugely empowered by the enhanced face detection in the latest firmware, face select also came in handy when switching subject.

F-log, HEVC 400Mbps LongGOP, sharpness and NR -4,  custom WB”

@androidlad — Curious here: Seems like you must have been shooting 4K (or DCI) at sub-30 FPS to use HEVC, LongGOP and 400Mbps. How did you decide to go for LongGOP versus ALL-I @ 400Mbps?

5 hours ago, androidlad said:

120P is recorded in 200Mbps bitrate, conformed to 24P it's 40Mbps, for LongGOP it's an acceptable bitrate.

The perceived softness comes from the readout modes, it's a hybrid of pixel-binning and line-skipping, so definitely won't be as detailed as 4K oversampling.

But still, it's the most detailed, relatively artifacts-free FHD 120P out there.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, andrew_dotdot said:

“Shot a water sports festival with X-T3, hugely empowered by the enhanced face detection in the latest firmware, face select also came in handy when switching subject.

F-log, HEVC 400Mbps LongGOP, sharpness and NR -4,  custom WB”

@androidlad — Curious here: Seems like you must have been shooting 4K (or DCI) at sub-30 FPS to use HEVC, LongGOP and 400Mbps. How did you decide to go for LongGOP versus ALL-I @ 400Mbps?

More datarate per group of frame to minimise F-log blocking/banding.

A weird use case, but something to be aware of:

I was using a Tascam DR-60D mk2 to record audio, and then feeding the audio from the dedicated line out ("camera high") into the mic input of the X-T3. Worked great until I decided to use the same power bank to supply juice to both the camera and the recorder.

Everything was still great on the Tascam's audio, but the audio on the X-T3 had a weird data warble noise clearly audiable -- something between a modem or fax, and a mobile phone interference noise. Unplugging either of them from the power bank made the problem go away. It happened with my nice new PD-compatible battery, and with an older big power bank I have.

Works fine with them plugged into separate power banks, but it would have been nice to power the whole rig from a single battery.

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get some opinions on gimbals - mainly the lighter weight variety. I currently have the Fei-Yu Tech a 1000, and it balances fairly well with the 18-55. I don't do any serious gimbal work so it works for me. I'm also looking for a smaller, more "smooth" unit. I find the a1000 to be a bit inconsistent as it will randomly jerk every now and then.

I came across the  Pilotfly Traveler (non-english)

Now, scrub up to about 16:30 and you will see he is flying it with an A7III.

I may consider picking this up for my throw it in a backpack, travel gimbal. l. I also saw another vid of a user in Korea flying an X-T3 on it.

Obviously the left justified housing concerns me, but any other thoughts, and opions appreciated.

Cheers!

On 5/23/2019 at 7:23 PM, Attila Bakos said:

Unfortunately I don't have time to go into the details right now, but I recommend you watch the video in the thread I linked earlier (previous page), it has the answers to most of your questions.

well i re watched the video and ok it is clear when you apply the lut, but my concern is that you don't use rcm. it's funny how few people use rcm when you know how powerfull and usefull it is.

i think i understood anyway why my test still had the color issue. i didn't checked the conversion to 709 in shutter encoder.

i could use ffmpeg yes but

1 i have over 100 files to convert so i don't have 2 days to spare to conversion

2 shutter encoder does use ffmpeg

good news is now problem is fixed in 16b3 and i shoot hlg so no issue with it

22 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

well i re watched the video and ok it is clear when you apply the lut, but my concern is that you don't use rcm. it's funny how few people use rcm when you know how powerfull and usefull it is.

i think i understood anyway why my test still had the color issue. i didn't checked the conversion to 709 in shutter encoder.

i could use ffmpeg yes but

1 i have over 100 files to convert so i don't have 2 days to spare to conversion

2 shutter encoder does use ffmpeg

good news is now problem is fixed in 16b3 and i shoot hlg so no issue with it

If they fixed it then that's the best solution :) FYI hlg was also interpreted incorrectly, I had to create a different matrix correction for that issue. I hope they fixed it as well.
I don't have the beta installed but it would be interesting to see if they only fixed this for Fujifilm files (as the changelog dictates), or in general. The issue is not specifically about Fujifilm files, but I guess Fuji people were the only one complaining.