Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Right click the clips in the media pool, choose clip attributes, then select full at data levels.

well... since i have the free version h265 will not open in resolve

can convert to dnxhr using shutter encoder but will it change something ?

edit: converted to dnxhr. on the image, left is ninja, right is fuji h265 converted to dnxhr

Untitled_2.1.1.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, thephoenix said:

well... since i have the free version h265 will not open in resolve

can convert to dnxhr using shutter encoder but will it change something ?

Don't bother with converting, we need to see how Resolve handles the original files. Maybe someone else can help us out.

20 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

ok. can you tell me more about full data level and why is it not set to full by default ?

just discovered that it was set to auto and when setting to full then image changes and seems to be flatter than without (flog)

ProRes is always interpreted as video range, even if it's a full range recording. I'm not even sure ProRes has flags for setting the data levels at all. When you set it manually to full range it becomes flatter, that's normal.

5 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

ProRes is always interpreted as video range, even if it's a full range recording. I'm not even sure ProRes has flags for setting the data levels at all. When you set it manually to full range it becomes flatter, that's normal.

but i am using dnxhr ? seems to be the same here

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

ok. can you tell me more about full data level and why is it not set to full by default ?

just discovered that it was set to auto and when setting to full then image changes and seems to be flatter than without (flog)

Full data is about still photo, like jpg dpx etc (image sequence); RGB file.

Video level is about video file like prores dnx etc; YCbCr file.

With auto, resolve make choice between both.

7 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

This is a bit oversimplified, a lot of cameras use the full range in their video files. Fuji is one of them.

I think fuji log use full range into the limit of video range (Panasonic log don't use full range into video range) 

i have to say the more i use my xt3 the more i love it, and the more i like editing and grading.

maybe because it is my first real video camera after my 5d mkII ?

was thinking about buying a bmpcc4k as a second camera (or main), no so sure to do it. will probably do because with the full license for resolve it is a still.

18 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Fuji log uses 95-1023, because of the gamma curve. That's still a wider range than video range (64-940).

10 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Strictly speaking it's full range 0-1023. But Fuji encodes nothing between 0-95.

The most accurate way will be when Resolve will have an F-log preset for rushes.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsmallrig%2Fposts%2F1860037350768509&width=500" width="500" height="800" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

40 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Strictly speaking it's full range 0-1023. But Fuji encodes nothing between 0-95.

Yes, that's correct.

30 minutes ago, BrunoCH said:

The most accurate way will be when Resolve will have an F-log preset for rushes. 

For what exactly do we need more accuracy? We know all about F-Log, all the info is there in the data sheet provided by Fujifilm.

4 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Don't bother with converting, we need to see how Resolve handles the original files. Maybe someone else can help us out.

you clearly see a difference on my pic anyway. so looks like problem it not solved.

one question.

problem is with fuji flog internal files.

it means ninja files are not affected right ?

to correct it do we have to apply the fuji lut flog to rec709 ? or do we have to always apply this lut to files coming from the fuji and also the ninja ?

because when you mix sources it is a bit a tricky to apply the lut only to some rushes.

or maybe you can convert fuji internal files to prores or dnxhd applying the lut ? (shutter encoder can do that)

28 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

you clearly see a difference on my pic anyway. so looks like problem it not solved.

one question.

problem is with fuji flog internal files.

it means ninja files are not affected right ?

to correct it do we have to apply the fuji lut flog to rec709 ? or do we have to always apply this lut to files coming from the fuji and also the ninja ?

because when you mix sources it is a bit a tricky to apply the lut only to some rushes.

or maybe you can convert fuji internal files to prores or dnxhd applying the lut ? (shutter encoder can do that)

Unfortunately I don't have time to go into the details right now, but I recommend you watch the video in the thread I linked earlier (previous page), it has the answers to most of your questions.

34 minutes ago, keessie65 said:

Thanks Attila, I used F-Log for this one and graded with Venice Cine lut; https://www.sierracreativeco.com.

The oval at 2:10 is from the lens, colours from the lut.

I like the oval, but the color transitions are a bit harsh around the sun. Nothing serious though, nice colors overall.

Here's a screen grab of the images in Resolve, the left screen is the XT3 file and the right is from the Ninja. I set them both to 300 and lined them up to form basically one image with a line in the middle. I thought that would be the easiest way to see if there's any difference in the colour. - both are set to Full in Clip Attributes. To my eyes, they're exactly the same, but if there is a difference, I wouldn't even think about it while shooting.

One thing I did notice though, is the capture from the Atomos is 2 or 3 frames behind the file straight from the camera, nothing major, and I'm sure it's not camera / recorder specific, but worth noting.

1924419215_Screenshot2019-05-23at20_22_04.thumb.png.db18c0727fd32216c51e7e5fc70e58ff.png 

Edit:

If people want, I could also post screen grabs from the colour page, showing the histogram, vector scope, curves etc. But they don't change at all between the clips. Safe to say they're exactly the same image from that perspective too...