Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

I don't know if this has been addressed here but I'm finding some issues with flog with the xt3. Has anyone experienced these "pink splotches" before? These were shot in 10bit H.265. I'm finding that the HLG doesn't suffer from this issue. I placed a lut to emphasize the issue. Any help would be appreciated!

flog2.thumb.jpg.881bbb69cf15e7a12ba39fc84dd5319a.jpg

hlg2.thumb.jpg.05f478d8553e6dea19a0d0062362b885.jpghlg1.thumb.jpg.208d56a03cfe83e1f149370b976d340b.jpgflog1.thumb.jpg.2cc8416f1df1500be276fc9f85d629ea.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, John Roque said:

I don't know if this has been addressed here but I'm finding some issues with flog with the xt3. Has anyone experienced these "pink splotches" before? These were shot in 10bit H.265. I'm finding that the HLG doesn't suffer from this issue. I placed a lut to emphasize the issue. Any help would be appreciated!

Yes this issue was discussed extensively on this forum, see my post comparing F-log and HLG. There's something wrong with Fuji's F-log implementation, could be flaws in the encoding parameter. The solution is to shoot HLG instead, it's completely clean and in my opinion also offers better colourimetry than F-Gamut.

Please report this issue to Fujifilm by sending these photos along with a description http://www.fujifilm.com/contact/

We have to get Fujifilm's attention for a possible fix.

22 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Yes this issue was discussed extensively on this forum, see my post comparing F-log and HLG. There's something wrong with Fuji's F-log implementation, could be flaws in the encoding parameter. The solution is to shoot HLG instead, it's completely clean and in my opinion also offers better colourimetry than F-Gamut.

Please report this issue to Fujifilm by sending these photos along with a description http://www.fujifilm.com/contact/

We have to get Fujifilm's attention for a possible fix.

Thank you!!!

One thing I've discovered - and this might help some people - is that the rendering settings in Premiere can create extreme banding and blotches in your h256 footage once you apply a lut.

I had terrible problems with this on my Mac, before I realised I'd accidentally created a sequence with the Metal hardware acceleration setting selected under Project settings. When I changed it to OpenCL, the banding went away completely.

Might be something worth playing with. I usually find Software rendering to be the most reliable for quality, albeit by far the slowest.

14 hours ago, John Roque said:

flog2.thumb.jpg.881bbb69cf15e7a12ba39fc84dd5319a.jpg

Any chance you could share the original for this clip? Just the F-Log one.

7 hours ago, austinchimp said:

One thing I've discovered - and this might help some people - is that the rendering settings in Premiere can create extreme banding and blotches in your h256 footage once you apply a lut.

I had terrible problems with this on my Mac, before I realised I'd accidentally created a sequence with the Metal hardware acceleration setting selected under Project settings. When I changed it to OpenCL, the banding went away completely.

Might be something worth playing with. I usually find Software rendering to be the most reliable for quality, albeit by far the slowest.

I personally use Davinci and I have never seen banding on my X-T3 footage. Not once.

Did some tests, inside and outside, couldn't replicate the issue. However I see that F-Log has a messier red channel, so if you're unlucky, you could absolutely run into situations where the difference is as pronounced as in John Roque's examples. If there's an issue here, it must be about compression. That being said I wouldn't recommend against F-Log just yet, I never had any problems so far.

It would be nice to see if an external recorder fixes the problem for those how are seeing it.

1 hour ago, Desk said:

Does anyone know if there's a gimbal which allows follow focus and zoom control support for the XT3?

Desk

none that i am aware of.

support for fuji is pretty small on gimballs.

but i guess with the xt3 and 30 sucess it will change soon

5 hours ago, androidlad said:

Zhiyun Weebill Lab/Crane 3 Lab support it, by providing two motors for zoom and focus control.

Hi,

Thanks for this. I'll take that support non-native, as an add-on, but is this only on the Lab?  The motors wouldn't work with the Crane 2?

Desk