Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just watched your updated video before seeing the above post @Mattias Burling and the lens looks excellent before even taking into account it's relatively low cost.

A bit shorter than the 90, but longer than the 80 in reach, but smaller and lighter than both plus a faster f stop. Yep, I shall be getting one very soon as I do not have either of the aforementioned lenses and the 50-140 is often too big and bulky to be lugging around all day.

Would love to see a comparison shoot out for portrait work on the X-T3 between the Prime Lenses: Viltrox 85 mm F1.8 AF X mount (price? availability? Cannot seem to find it - $300?) vs Fujifilm XF 90mm F2 R LM WR ($699 USD) vs Fujifilm XF 56 mm F1.2 R ($749 USD) vs Fujifilm XF 50mm F2 R WR ($449 USD) vs Fujifilm XF 35 mm F1.4 R ($599 USD) vs Fujifilm XF 35 mm F2 R WR ($399 USD) vs Fujifilm XF 23 mm F1.4 R ($899 USD) vs Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR ($449 USD). Range of prices: Around $300 USD to $899 USD. Lens length range: 23 mm to 90 mm. F stop range:  1.2 to 2. Let's see the work. You could add in lens lengths of a wider angle or longer telephoto. Also different lenses.

I own three XF Zoom lenses, which I have mainly for video work: the Fujifilm XF 10 - 24 mm F4 R LM OIS ($749 USD), Fujifilm XF 18 - 55mm F2.8 - 4 R LM OIS (kit lens with XT-3, sells for $699 USD separately), Fujifilm XF 55 - 200 F3.5 - 4.8 R LM OIS ($699 USD). Lens length range: 10 - 200mm. F stop range: 2.8 - 4.8. I own one XF Prime lens, the Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR ($399 USD). Lens length: 35mm. F stop range: F2 to F16. I do love the results that I have from all of these lenses. It is a subjective decision in many ways, and it really depends on the light, color, scene, composition, model, story, and of course, how you are using your camera. Many factors. Understatement.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, proteanstar said:

Would love to see a comparison shoot out for portrait work on the X-T3 between the Prime Lenses: Viltrox 85 mm F1.8 AF X mount (price? availability? Cannot seem to find it - $300?)

It's available for pre-order at my local camera store as well as on eBay with world wide shipping.

The price is $359 :)

Another portrait shoot out comparison. Same model and photographer. Outdoors in direct sun. No flash. Three different camera bodies and lenses, all 35mm F1.4 Primes. The XT-3 also had the Fujinon XF 23mm F1.4 R Prime lens mounted sometimes. Two FF vs XT-3. Canon EOS R Mirrorless w/Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM Lens vs Sony a7 III Full-Frame Mirrorless w/Sony SEL35F14Z Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Standard-Prime Lens for Mirrorless Cameras (Zeiss) vs Fujifilm X-T3 w/Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 R. All in auto white balance with default profile. JPEGs out of camera. XT-3 used Classic Chrome film profile.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:06 PM, Stathman said:

I did! I would like them to add white balance and focal length info if possible.

On this clip WB was set to auto but if it is set to Kelvin it shows just "K" and not the actual value.

I sent them a request.

UC8po0a.png

does it fix the color issue with resolve and premiere ?

Codec question!

I'm trying to decide what settings to use to capture footage for a documentary. The situation is a sit-down interview. It's not going to be hours and hours at a time (or I wouldn't be using X-T3), but I do want to be smart about file sizes and my SD storage requirements. So I did an experiment. I shot one minute of a scene that had very little movement in it three times - it's H.265...DCI (4k)...24FPS

1. ALL-I @ 400Mbps: File size: 3.02GB

2. Long GOP @ 400Mbps: File size: 3.07GB

3. Long GOP @ 200Mbps: File size: 1.56GB

It's easy enough to understand why a 200 Mbps file is 1/2 the size of the 400Mbps file. But what I don't really understand is going on with ALL-I file and Long GOP files at 400Mbps. I do understand that ALL-I has all the info for every frame (and edits easier), and that GOP has all the info every once in a while and just describes the changes in between. I've read that ALL-I requires 2-3x the data of GOP to capture the same sequence of pictures -- but what is the X-T3's Long GOP doing with all the extra data it's using in this case? 

See what I mean? My understanding had always been that you used Long GOP to get smaller files. In this case, I might have expected the 400Mbps option to be greyed out for Long GOP in the menu, since the 200Mbps Long GOP ought to give you roughly the same quality as the 400Mbps ALL-I.

Is 400Mbps Long GOP some kind of super-duper picture quality? 

On 3/27/2019 at 11:01 AM, colepat said:

The most recent Fringer update that @thephoenix posted about, is honestly great. I am using my XT-3 with a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 OS and it's fantastic. The smooth video auto focus is amazing. Truly a dream set up. 

Agree. It's a big improvement for video. The EF 50mm f1.8 STM is one of the lenses they say they've introduced the smooth video focusing for -- I can say that it does do a slower transition when focusing. It makes a sort of a humming noise -- a C#, if you're interested -- as it seeks the next focus. It would definitely be audible in the on-camera microphone, but I don't think it would be as noticeable on external sound -- not like the ticky-ticky focus noises it made before.

It still doesn't obey the settings of the AF-C custom settings, though. It's like having that set to AF Speed of -5 all the time. I wish it did obey that setting of course. I usually use a slow-ish value with mu Fuji lenses, so now it at least sort of matches.