Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, thephoenix said:

So sounds like IBIS will be coming to the XT4...

The 33mm f1.0 though. This is one lens that on paper at least, I thought wow, but having seen the mock up of the thing, by gawd it's a bit too massive for my tastes!

Nailing focus at f1.0 is a tough enough gig as it is and how often would I really use it? I shoot my 56mm f1.2 wide open quite often and that's a near limit and I think if I wanted something wider for photo or video, I'd go Mitakon and manual focus. Plus a lot lot cheaper!

On 3/15/2019 at 7:43 PM, thephoenix said:

thanks. what else should i ask for ? ;)

I've asked for the auto-ISO to report what ISO it's set itself on screen, rather than just "AUTO", and to have a max ISO setting when using auto ISO in video, like there is for stills. A request close to my run and gun heart. I got a personalized response when I wrote to the Tokyo office.

• Super Members

If anyone wants a cheap option to the 90mm f2 I can report that the Viltrox 85mm f1.8 Auto Focus lens is seriously sharp and the bokeh is very creamy. 

I've been shooting with it all day and enjoying it. I will test it on the X-T3 and X-T20 tomorrow or Monday to see how the AF works on modern bodies (I'm using the old Xpro1).

Aditya Varma has uploaded some really nice videos with and about the X-T3, but this post came out just now.(Screen captured it, as I couldn't find a way to share a link. See the post on his YT channel on a mobile device...)

What's he on about? Is this a Premiere issue? An X-T3 issue? An h.265 issue? Does this only happen if you render via one of these as a mezzanine codec?

One only ever renders from the original files anyway, but is this a thing?

Capture+_2019-03-17-06-27-39.png

2 hours ago, andrew_dotdot said:

Aditya Varma has uploaded some really nice videos with and about the X-T3, but this post came out just now.(Screen captured it, as I couldn't find a way to share a link. See the post on his YT channel on a mobile device...)

What's he on about? Is this a Premiere issue? An X-T3 issue? An h.265 issue? Does this only happen if you render via one of these as a mezzanine codec?

i've ssen this, i am  puzzled as it is the first time someone reports this. ?

will try as i have a lot of dci@60 h265 to transcode

12 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

If anyone wants a cheap option to the 90mm f2 I can report that the Viltrox 85mm f1.8 Auto Focus lens is seriously sharp and the bokeh is very creamy. 

I've been shooting with it all day and enjoying it. I will test it on the X-T3 and X-T20 tomorrow or Monday to see how the AF works on modern bodies (I'm using the old Xpro1).

I skipped the review initially only glancing at it and thinking, "manual focus only", but it's got my attention now...

f1.8 beats my current 50-140 f2.8 and whilst this lens does not have the reach, a very viable alternative to the 90mm f2 that I sold as too much crossover with the zoom.

But at that price, I think it will be making it's way into my bag as soon as it's available. Should be a very nice pairing with one of my XH1's.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I skipped the review initially only glancing at it and thinking, "manual focus only", but it's got my attention now...

f1.8 beats my current 50-140 f2.8 and whilst this lens does not have the reach, a very viable alternative to the 90mm f2 that I sold as too much crossover with the zoom.

But at that price, I think it will be making it's way into my bag as soon as it's available. Should be a very nice pairing with one of my XH1's.

I'm testing it on a XE3 this afternoon so I can report back tonight about the AF.

4 hours ago, andrew_dotdot said:

I suspect that he didn't check "Use Maximum Render Quality" and "Render at Maximum Depth" in Premiere/Media Encoder.

18 minutes ago, androidlad said:

I suspect that he didn't check "Use Maximum Render Quality" and "Render at Maximum Depth" in Premiere/Media Encoder.

That's a Premiere problem indeed. Also you need to change these settings in sequence settings as well, otherwise it will still look the same.

Doesn't happen in Resolve btw

19 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The 33mm f1.0 though. This is one lens that on paper at least, I thought wow, but having seen the mock up of the thing, by gawd it's a bit too massive for my tastes!

At the X Summit they said, it was just an initial mockup. Not even the optical design is given. And one of their top priorities is getting it smaller. So I suspect, that the final version will be smaller. 
Something similar happened back when the 90mm was introduced. It was shorter but a lot fatter. They later changed the design to what it is now. 

Could well be right @frontfocus 

I had the 90 for a while and it was a stellar lens, but it was always a toss up of carrying the 50-140 and the 90 but not both, though this new Viltrox 85 might just sneak into my bag.

I love the idea of the 33 f1, but I suspect it will still be too big and costly.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I'm testing it on a XE3 this afternoon so I can report back tonight about the AF.

It would be asking too much to expect it to work with the 1.4 TC adapter wouldn't it? I'm sure it's Fuji only and then only about 3 lenses...?

I haven't got one but having a lens like this (I know the Fuji 80mm works), work at 2 or more focal lengths would be exceptional.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

It would be asking too much to expect it to work with the 1.4 TC adapter wouldn't it? I'm sure it's Fuji only and then only about 3 lenses...?

I haven't got one but having a lens like this (I know the Fuji 80mm works), work at 2 or more focal lengths would be exceptional.

A little update. The AF with the X-E3 is as expected much faster and more accurate. The beep still comes a little quicker than the actual focus so its best turning the beep off (I have it off anyway).

Sadly, still no aperture control.. Ive emailed Viltrox so hopefully I will have an ETA on a firmware soon.
I have however talked to another user who claims all is well on the X-T3.

PS. The lens is really, really sharp edge to edge with creamy bokeh.