Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is true. 

If you have 1.1 crop applied to a 2x crop, that doesn't mean you've got a 3.1 crop!! ha

No, you have a 2.2 crop in action

I know but I think you were taking the plus sign too literal... I believe he meant the + to be an “and” 1.5x. So I don’t think he was writing a formula.

I'm really tempted to make this my hybrid camera as I already own the xpro1 and the 35mm f/1.4 and 18mm f/2, and shoot video on a bmmcc and the panny 12-35mm f/2.8. As I only use both for personal projects, this is a bit of a hassle.

The thing that holds me back is the manual fly-by-wire focussing of the native xf lenses. On the xpro1 using manual focussing (in photo mode) is horrible. It jitters and the focus is visible in 'steps', not to mention the noise (audible thuck-thuck-thuck). Even if the autofocus modes seems to be good, I would prefer to fall back on a manual focus option that is useable. 

Can somebody please inform me about the native xf lenses and their preformance in manual focussing mode on the xt3?

12 minutes ago, Martin Kuipers said:

I'm really tempted to make this my hybrid camera as I already own the xpro1 and the 35mm f/1.4 and 18mm f/2, and shoot video on a bmmcc and the panny 12-35mm f/2.8. As I only use both for personal projects, this is a bit of a hassle.

The thing that holds me back is the manual fly-by-wire focussing of the native xf lenses. On the xpro1 using manual focussing (in photo mode) is horrible. It jitters and the focus is visible in 'steps', not to mention the noise (audible thuck-thuck-thuck). Even if the autofocus modes seems to be good, I would prefer to fall back on a manual focus option that is useable. 

Can somebody please inform me about the native xf lenses and their preformance in manual focussing mode on the xt3?

In my experience they are basically impossible to manual focus at least if you are pulling focus for a moving shot. Focus throw is either way to long or too short. Thats with the 50mm f2, 23mm f2, 18-55mm, and 50-230mm 

This is pretty much standard across all brands though. I have a set of vintage lenses I use for manual focusing. 

9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

In my experience they are basically impossible to manual focus at least if you are pulling focus for a moving shot. Focus throw is either way to long or too short. Thats with the 50mm f2, 23mm f2, 18-55mm, and 50-230mm 

This is pretty much standard across all brands though. I have a set of vintage lenses I use for manual focusing. 

Mm that doesn't sound good. The pannasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 is also notorious for this, but I found that I could get acceptable results with practice. Did you also experienced the same stepping issue with audible sounds on those lenses?

18 minutes ago, Martin Kuipers said:

Mm that doesn't sound good. The pannasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 is also notorious for this, but I found that I could get acceptable results with practice. Did you also experienced the same stepping issue with audible sounds on those lenses?

There seems to be a slight noise coming from my 23mm f2 though its very very quiet. I hear nothing on the 18-55. 

I just tried the linear mode, actually works really well especially on the 18-55. Still prefer manual glass. 

19 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

There seems to be a slight noise coming from my 23mm f2 though its very very quiet. I hear nothing on the 18-55. 

I just tried the linear mode, actually works really well especially on the 18-55. Still prefer manual glass. 

Thanks for checking. Could be the older lenses or camera that I have that causes it. So I’ll have to check this for myself. And yes I also have a whole bunch of old manual lenses that I like to use :)

4 minutes ago, Martin Kuipers said:

Thanks for checking. Could be the older lenses or camera that I have that causes it. So I’ll have to check this for myself. And yes I also have a whole bunch of old manual lenses that I like to use :)

The 18-55 is a bigger lens which I think is why it focuses nicer for me. I imagine the 35mm 1.4 should focus pretty nicely too as its on the large side.