Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, capitanazo said:

what are the codec, bit, and bitrate options to shot with the xt-3 at 120fps?

is possible to shot 120fps with h265 All intra 400mbps and 10bit?

can you use an hdmi monitor with 30fps preview but record at 120fps?

H265 or H264 at 200mbps Long GOP

My monitor works recording at 120fps and I don't believe it can preview 120fps (guessing 30 as its just a cheap $150 monitor). 

I just watched a bunch of great comparison videos between the X-T3 vs P4K by @jsfilmz and although popular opinion gave the win to the P4K, I really must say I thought the X-T3 won and when you consider the specs, it probably shouldn’t have.

I am more and more intrigued with this camera with every passing day as a great hybrid second camera for me. 

I also love that it shoots actual 2K... can anyone confirm the quality?

I don’t know if this has been posted but I think it’s a real nice example of a different look you can get with F-Log...

1 hour ago, TurboRat said:

Thinking if XT-3 is worth the price vs the older XT-2

Absolutely.

42 minutes ago, mercer said:

I just watched a bunch of great comparison videos between the X-T3 vs P4K by @jsfilmz and although popular opinion gave the win to the P4K, I really must say I thought the X-T3 won and when you consider the specs, it probably shouldn’t have.

Apples to Oranges. Horses for courses.

E : -)

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I am more and more intrigued with this camera with every passing day as a great hybrid second camera for me. 

I don’t know if this has been posted but I think it’s a real nice example of a different look you can get with F-Log...

it is a great camera. especialy if you shoot images too like me.

i have shot some film during my LA trip 3 weeks ago, only night shoot as i didn't have a nd filter and the only one i wanted wasn't available.

need to edit and grade as soon as i finish building my new pc.

can't compare with bmpcc4k for image quality but for what i've seen it is different in the way that i think you can use the xt3 with less accesories than the bm. you also have good af and slightly better baterie life. cons is the menu that is too much for me in the xt3 but hey the camera can do tons of things. cons is also 422 external and no raw.

but so far everyone find this camera to be fantastic for the price so...

also will test soon the vintage lenses i've recently bought, i know you like vintage lenses ;)

9 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Anyone got an XT-2 instead of the XT-3? There's a lot of good deals now for the XT-2. Thinking if XT-3 is worth the price vs the older XT-2

I have both. The X-T2 delivers nice quality. But when it comes to features, especially in video, the X-T3 is in a different league. No crop up to 30fps, allows 5K 60 fps, 10bit, 400Mbps, Eterna, better Autofocus including eye detection, very low rolling shutter and so on. With all the discounts you could consider the X-H1 too. It's an X-T2 with IBIS, Eterna profile and a few other tweaks. 
If you have any specific questions, just ask, I have all three cameras here at the moment 

1 hour ago, frontfocus said:

I have both. The X-T2 delivers nice quality. But when it comes to features, especially in video, the X-T3 is in a different league. No crop up to 30fps, allows 5K 60 fps, 10bit, 400Mbps, Eterna, better Autofocus including eye detection, very low rolling shutter and so on. With all the discounts you could consider the X-H1 too. It's an X-T2 with IBIS, Eterna profile and a few other tweaks. 
If you have any specific questions, just ask, I have all three cameras here at the moment 

Thanks! So which do you use the most or go with whenever given the chance? X-H1 or X-T3?

12 hours ago, mercer said:

I shot this in 2K. Youtube compression is a killer but it gives you somewhat of an example. 

I haven't tested for moire or anything but from what I've seen the 2k looks great. Rolling shutter is cut in half too. 

46 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Thanks! So which do you use the most or go with whenever given the chance? X-H1 or X-T3?

I liked the X-T3 so much that I bought an X-T2 when it went on flash sale last month. It's fine as b-cam but lacks the sheer number of video options (bit-rate control being one big one).

Had the X-H1 been available at the price it is now, I would have gotten that instead of the X-T2 as its UI is far closer to that of the X-T3 (silent movie mode and fine bit-rate control being most important to me).

That said, I own a stabilized gimbal and shoot 80% on a tripod so IBIS isn't as big a deal as having exposure peaking and the other advanced video features the X-T3 has over the X-H1.

56 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

I use the X-H1 if I only do a few handheld shots. As soon as I bring stabilization I take the X-T3. Or of course both

If you don't need the features of the flagships like weather sealing, dual card slots and so on, I would wait 3 weeks for the X-T30 release. It might bring some of the X-T3 features, for a lot less money. 

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

@thebrothersthre3 thanks! And thanks again for posting that the first time I asked a couple months ago... sorry I forgot. 

Was that shot in the actual 2K setting or 1080p? And I forget... was that F-Log?

Yeah it was 2k, though I said 1080 in the title. I list it as 2048-1080 in the description though. 

It was shot at Flog with the eterna Lut applied, 24p, 50ss (should have been 48), -3 NR, -4 sharpness(which is all the way down). 

1 hour ago, frontfocus said:

I use the X-H1 if I only do a few handheld shots. As soon as I bring stabilization I take the X-T3. Or of course both

If you don't need the features of the flagships like weather sealing, dual card slots and so on, I would wait 3 weeks for the X-T30 release. It might bring some of the X-T3 features, for a lot less money. 

Thanks for letting me know about the X-T30! Can't wait :)

3 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Thanks for letting me know about the X-T30! Can't wait :)

I am really wondering what the XT30 will have. Smaller body and lower resolution screen probably. They might put a flip screen. I know for sure it'll have XT3 style auto focus. The big question is will it get 4k 60p or 10 bit recording?

On 1/21/2019 at 11:37 PM, mercer said:

I have a great deal of fun in Davinci grading F-log footage. The 10 bit files are really flexible. And most of all, since it's a 6k sensor downsizing the image to a 4k size, THE DETAILS... Just Jaw dropping. So until now it's been a great weapon. Technology moves so fast. It's kinda ridiculous to be working with such a small body. But whatever. I just need to slap a mattebox and a cage, a mic and VOILA! It's client friendly!

Just an observation while recording today. I got the best results using auto focus by setting it to multi. Worked better than using area or touch focus. Custom settings were -2 speed and +3 tracking. 

Touch works well but when operating a gimbal its pretty hard to touch the screen while concentrating on getting your movements right and keeping the gimbal steady. 

7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Just an observation while recording today. I got the best results using auto focus by setting it to multi. Worked better than using area or touch focus. Custom settings were -2 speed and +3 tracking. 

Touch works well but when operating a gimbal its pretty hard to touch the screen while concentrating on getting your movements right and keeping the gimbal steady. 

what kind of shoot ? i think af needs to be set differently based on what you are shooting.