Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just bought the camera and did the following test: Recording time regarding heat

Room temperature of 17 degrees: 80 minutes in 4k 400 mbps LongGOP (two 128 gig cards) without a temperature warning. I had to change the battery at 40minutes. For the second battery, I also plugged an old battery bank: Sony CycleEnergy 10 000 mAh that outputs 5 volts in standard usb 2.0. I used a USB 3.0 to USB-C cable to connect to the camera. Because the battery bank outputs 5 volts and the camera would rather use 7 volts, at the end of 40 minutes, I had 15 % loss in the battery inside the camera. So I believe using old battery banks are a good option.

I would not hesitate to use the camera for captions in shows or long interviews.

6 hours ago, Cameramoto said:

For 400 mbps recording, I made the mistake of buying 128GB cards rated V30. I can record but when I try to playback the files in camera, I get a read error. When I play the files on the computer, they are fine. When I record to 200 mbps, playback is fine in the camera.

I think it only records fine because the camera has a large buffer (for 30fps stills shooting).

Noticed a strange phenomenon today, when using the touchscreen to pull focus in video during recording, in AF-S mode, a touch would only half focus on the subject (focusing starts slowly and stops midway). In AF-C mode it works wonderfully though, locks dead on almost every time. But AF-C focuses everywhere the focus box goes and does not offer much control vs. AF-S.

Anyone experiencing the same?

@Cameramoto

@Attila Bakos

9 hours ago, androidlad said:

I think it only records fine because the camera has a large buffer (for 30fps stills shooting).

Noticed a strange phenomenon today, when using the touchscreen to pull focus in video during recording, in AF-S mode, a touch would only half focus on the subject (focusing starts slowly and stops midway). In AF-C mode it works wonderfully though, locks dead on almost every time. But AF-C focuses everywhere the focus box goes and does not offer much control vs. AF-S.

Anyone experiencing the same?

@Cameramoto

@Attila Bakos

Yes, I have the same problem, didn't find a solution yet.

1 hour ago, BrunoCH said:

Some color grading to  test the H265 10bits codec :

Very strong codec  (but a few moiré on the pullover).

https://vimeo.com/299173698

You should have tested in 4K. the 1080p mode on X-T3 (and on most cameras these days) is not supersampled. It's a combination of line-skipping and pixel-binning, hence the heavy moire.

3 minutes ago, androidlad said:

You should have tested in 4K. the 1080p mode on X-T3 (and on most cameras these days) is not supersampled. It's a combination of line-skipping and pixel-binning, hence the heavy moire.

You're right. I will test 4K for moiré. But for my work (short fiction) I don't need and I don't want 4K. Too much resolution and big file size. 

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

to the lucky ones that have this camera, is there a big difference between the internal 420 and the external 422 ?

Actually there are two aspects to consider for external recording:

1. 422 instead of 420. 422 is beneficial for intense colour manipulation and/or VFX such as keying and compositing.

2. Minimal compression with robust codec such as ProRes/DNxHR. It's very easy to edit/playback in real time. Image quality wise, the difference between external recording and internal 400Mbps HEVC ALL-I is minimal in low to mid ISO. In higher ISO settings combined with low key lighting and/or high detail scenes, H.264/HEVC tend to break apart and shows more blotchness. ProRes HQ/DNxHR HQX are able to retain fine noise patterns for easy clean up in post.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:35 AM, DanielVranic said:

I have this one and it is excellent with my X-T3.  No problems at all. I had two Sandisk 128 GB 90 MB/s cards rated at V30 and I was getting read errors when shooting 4K video at  400MB/s, so I returned those and got a V60 rated card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NQLYHL/

Great price at $189.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Edit: Looks like BH Photo has an even better price for the two-pack at $339.99

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1395932-REG/prograde_digital_pgsd256gbj2bh_sdxc_uhs_ii_256gb_memory.html

"In Stock

Order now to ship Mon Nov 12

Free Expedited Shipping

Product Highlights

256GB Storage Capacity

UHS-II / V60 / U3 / Class 10

Max Read Speed: 200 MB/s

Max Write Speed: 80 MB/s

Min Write Speed: 60 MB/s

Records Full HD, 3D, and 4K Video

Built-In Write-Protect Switch

Can Withstand Extreme Temperatures"