Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/20/2018 at 11:26 AM, wolf33d said:

The 1080p is way better than the Sony also in 120p. Also shows how much better cine4 is on the Sony vs SLOG. I have never understood how can someone shoot SLOG on the SONY 8 bit. CINE4 is so much better... 

Well... I have tried many different times to get more dynamic range out of Cine 4 and I just can't get it. I usually have to underexpose Cine 4 by a stop or two to keep the highlights in check (since the rolloff is still something I have issues with) and I end up with more noise when I bring the mids and shadows back up.

SLOG 2 is far from perfect as you know, but even with overexposing by about 2 stops I can bring back almost two stops, and whatever is clipped has at least a little better rolloff than Cine4.

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

A quick play with the MKX18-55mm. Was just hand holding. This is all shot at 3200 ISO with -4 noise reduction in Eterna. Recorded internally. 

Nice colors, texture and nice soft contrast also. But looks sharpened hmm. Was sharpening at 0? Well I hope it was, if it was -4 I would rather get a Pocket4K which doesn't show this crispening effect (hair especially).

30 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Looks good to me... Alot of women have crisp looking hair in real life!

Not if shot with Arri, Red or Blackmagic cameras. Seen it a lot on the GH5(s) and Sony Alphas though.

Just hoping that the previous sample was shot with sharpening at 0 or with additional sharpening in post. Still want the X-T3 to be better than the Pocket 4K since it is way more functional and has way less crop in 120p while still capturing in 10 bit.

8 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

Rolling shutter is pretty bad, and no IBIS make handeld shots not useable.

Thanks for the video ?

You are not usable or useful. The X-T3 looks surprisingly good in incandescent lighting and the auto white balance is a lot better than other cameras I’ve tested. IBIS is extremly overrated, mostly hyped by vloggers and amateurs.

1 hour ago, deezid said:

Not if shot with Arri, Red or Blackmagic cameras. Seen it a lot on the GH5(s) and Sony Alphas though.

Just hoping that the previous sample was shot with sharpening at 0 or with additional sharpening in post. Still want the X-T3 to be better than the Pocket 4K since it is way more functional and has way less crop in 120p while still capturing in 10 bit.

Just checked the settings... Yes sharpening was set to zero. Thought I had changed that to -4, but I guess it go changed back with all my fiddling about with various settings. I had a freak out moment when I first attached the MKX lens. I was unable to record any video. Turns out I had forgotten to turn back on internal recording ?Anyway, I am confident given the option to use the X-T3 vs the P4k, the former would be a solid choice. Add stills capability into the mix and you will never look back. Remember the Fuji is using a APSC/S35 sensor. This is today and has been for the past many years, the industry standard format for cinema. That a big component when trying to get that cinema look.

I'll go one better... so sure am I that this camera is the way forward, that I order a second body... that should arrive today? I also intend to add the MKX50-135. I held off on ordering it as I want to spend some time getting to know the MKX18-55 T2.9. I have not shot a whole lot of manual lenses in video. My plan is later to try out the SLR Magic Anamorphot 65, which was specifically designed to work with MKX lenses. But that may be dependent on seeing more footage from the adapter.

11 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

You are not usable or useful. The X-T3 looks surprisingly good in incandescent lighting and the auto white balance is a lot better than other cameras I’ve tested. IBIS is extremly overrated, mostly hyped by vloggers and amateurs.

I don't like IBIS. At least not any implementation I have seen to date. My preferred method is to use a gimbal, slider, tripod or crane.

1 hour ago, deezid said:

Not if shot with Arri, Red or Blackmagic cameras.

So you are saying that if a woman has crisp looking hair in real life, those cameras magically add some silky conditioner to the hair?!

My wife has very similar hair to the woman in the video and it does not look like a camera issue in the slightest... It is just showing the natural texture of the hair. 

21 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

For video ?
Yeah right, no need to go further.

I got My X-T3 with the 35f2 this morning, and playing with it next to the A7iii.
1080p120 and 4k50 are really great, but not really usable without a gimbal or tripod.

@DBounce those 2 lenses are an extra reason to go to Fuji-land I must admit.

Is it possible to speed-boost it on an P4K I wonder?

Another great combo is the C100/C200mkII and the 18-80. Everything works great on another level (a lot of extra electronics inside the lens working great and give another dimension, especially for run and gun).

21 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@DBounce those 2 lenses are an extra reason to go to Fuji-land I must admit.

Is it possible to speed-boost it on an P4K I wonder?

Another great combo is the C100/C200mkII and the 18-80. Everything works great on another level (a lot of extra electronics inside the lens working great and give another dimension, especially for run and gun).

The MKX lenses have some real magic. I've only shot a little bit with 18-55... but I'm loving it. I have shot other manual lenses for stills, and largely preferred shooting with AF lenses. But for video, these Fujinon lenses are very special. 

I checked out the Canon 18-80 while at B&H in NYC. Honestly, it feels a bit lackluster to me. The image is too generic. Perhaps it is because it's fairly slow at f4.4. Of maybe something else that I am missing. I just know the imagery I was seeing from it did not inspire me to want to go that route. Or maybe more to the point, it was a bit of a let down going from the 24-70 f2.8  and 70-200 f2.8... to the 18-80 f4.4. I might have just been setting myself up with higher expectations.

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Here is a test I made with the XT3. Kind of sloppy shooting. This was shot -4 sharpening
400mbps - Long GOP, 4K, -4 sharpening, -4 noise Reduction, Flog, eterna Lut, no grading, no ND filters, indoor shots were auto WB, handheld

This may be an unpopular opinion but this is one of the first X-T3 videos where I've liked the colour. It seems filmlike but still realistic and relatively subtle.

I've been checking out samples of the footage - I really want to like this camera - but a lot of it just looks like it's been Filmconvert-ed or instagram filtered. I'd love to see some more samples where the colour looks more natural and Alexa-like, if that exists. Not bashing the camera or any of the work posted so far, I love their philosophy and I own a X-T20, just wondering if it's possible to get a more neutral or modern look, while still retaining maximum dynamic range and skin tones.

15 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Sony will NOT give us anything like the X-T3. They will protect their FS lineup. And colors... colors... colors. They will not be the equal of the Fuji or Canon. Although, by all means Sony... prove me wrong and I will gladly add another α camera to my collection. Not holding my breath though.

Perhaps they can add some filters to match the film emulations that Fuji has? But maybe take it one step further... Instant Blockbuster, Micheal Bay Mode, Spielberg setting?

1 minute ago, DBounce said:

Sony will NOT give us anything like the X-T3. They will protect their FS lineup. And colors... colors... colors. They will not be the equal of the Fuji or Canon. Although, by all means Sony... prove me wrong and I will gladly add another α camera to my collection. Not holding my breath though.

I do not agree. I might be wrong cause I have 0 info on upcoming Sony, but Sony is the company that has a Cine line that protect it the less. Secondly for colors it is rumored that at least the next A7S III will have Venice color science which is reputed among the best. Thirdly, when shooting in Cine4 when I had the A7III I had no issue with colors. Fourthly, I do not see Sony releasing a XT3 competitor at same price or more (A6500 was already XT3 price) with less spec. And it is safe to imagine it will have IBIS and the A7 battery which is miles ahead of Fuji battery. 

Again, only speculation, but if I were Sony I would not release this camera if specs at least did not match XT3. 

4 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

I just can't see Sony gives us 4k50p 10bit, but I certainly hope they do ?

Why? They are the guys who gave us all the best specs in the past. Why are you guys pessimistic about Sony specs where they constantly have been ahead of the competition past 5 years?
What I am skeptical about is Sony's ability to ever release a camera with proper ergonomics and menus lol because again history shows.