Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Henry Ciullo said:

I don't have access to my main pc at moment, and my i7 laptop just can't play back files... you'll need to wait till sunday I guess before I can edit footage.

Are you using Resolve? Premiere? Don't they all pretty much offer some way to prerender/create optimized footage? I use Resolve and do that, or I just set to quarter resolution and my i5 laptop can play that back in realtime, good enough to edit, then grade at full res.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

For those with the xt3... is the AWB still shifting like crazy when you move around?

I noticed some changes the first day I had it, but it didn't seem crazy.

I've made a point to just set the WB for video since then.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

@Brian Williams You know that there is a white balance lock setting on the x-t3? It’s genius. Let the camera set the white balance of a certain scene, which it does pretty well in most cases, then push the button you assigned to lock white balance.  This is something I wish more cameras would implement.

I didn't know that, I'm gonna check it out now, thanks.

Just played with it, super convenient- I wish there was a way to have it toggle on and off rather than having to hold the button down until you're finished recording. But def better than nothing.

I need some help here.. today I did more filming, on a lake from a boat. now I have 3 days of shooting material but I can't edit it on my laptop.

On laptop I have resolve 15 , I am now struggling to make it export complete timeline with all footage in DnX 10 bit 1080p, so at least I can edit something, but I am getting several crashes and GPU error 11 from Resolve.

I should use my main editing PC, but I have  resolve 14 on that and haven't had time yet to learn how to backup all my 2018 projects before making upgrade, I'm scared of losing everything if I don't do it right.

What do you guys use to transcode on windows machines? up to now I never had the necessity  cos I always worked with 1080p h264 footage.

4 minutes ago, Henry Ciullo said:

I need some help here.. today I did more filming, on a lake from a boat. now I have 3 days of shooting material but I can't edit it on my laptop.

On laptop I have resolve 15 , I am now struggling to make it export complete timeline with all footage in DnX 10 bit 1080p, so at least I can edit something, but I am getting several crashes and GPU error 11 from Resolve.

I should use my main editing PC, but I have  resolve 14 on that and haven't had time yet to learn how to backup all my 2018 projects before making upgrade, I'm scared of losing everything if I don't do it right.

What do you guys use to transcode on windows machines? up to now I never had the necessity  cos I always worked with 1080p h264 footage.

Prores works better then DNXHD for me. I think there might be a DnxHD plugin you can install for windows tho. 

16 minutes ago, Henry Ciullo said:

I don't get it, you are trying to export a kind of proxy from Resolve so that you can then edit the footage? Why not edit in Resolve? I have Resolve 15 on my laptop as well (i5, gtx1060, Dell i7577-5241BLK-PUS) and I'm able to 'generate optimized media' which allows playback of the footage in the editor (sometimes I have to switch to half or quarter res), but it skips the step of having to pre-render proxy footage. Or am I missing something?

GPU error sounds like something is wrong with your computer, not the footage.

2 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

I don't get it, you are trying to export a kind of proxy from Resolve so that you can then edit the footage? Why not edit in Resolve? I have Resolve 15 on my laptop as well (i5, gtx1060, Dell i7577-5241BLK-PUS) and I'm able to 'generate optimized media' which allows playback of the footage in the editor (sometimes I have to switch to half or quarter res), but it skips the step of having to pre-render proxy footage. Or am I missing something?

GPU error sounds like something is wrong with your computer, not the footage.

I can't generate optimized media. I keep getting GPU error 11 (Asus i7 with Geforce 840M, win 10). In fact I hardly ever use this machine to edit...

@Henry Ciullo When editing H.265 files, I use Ffmpeg to make 1.5Mbps 1080p h.264 proxies first. They edit very easily in Resolve. If you keep your proxies and online media in different bins inside Resolve, you can easily switch between using proxies and online media, by using the "Reconform from Bins" option. Not sure if that's what you're trying to do--I can go into more detail if you'd like.

34 minutes ago, Henry Ciullo said:

I can't generate optimized media. I keep getting GPU error 11 (Asus i7 with Geforce 840M, win 10). In fact I hardly ever use this machine to edit...

Are you using the free version of Resolve or Studio? The free version doesn't have H.264/HEVC acceleration which may be a cause? Either way, I know thats not what you're asking about

1 hour ago, Brian Williams said:

Are you using the free version of Resolve or Studio? The free version doesn't have H.264/HEVC acceleration which may be a cause? Either way, I know thats not what you're asking about

yes, free version. I was waiting to buy because originally I was planning on getting the new Pocket camera, but then as agencies I work with are starting to ask more stills , and I don't have the time and knowledge to grade properly, so I prefer a camera that gives (almost) ready to use images.

Speaking of stills, from the first tests it seems that with video with Eterna profile I need to underexpose half a stop to save highlights. Then if I switch to stills, I need to overexpose a bit..

Anyway, for the first time in many years I actually enjoyed taking stills with this camera, and I also shot b/w which I have never done because I am not fond of b/w.

viverone16web.jpg

viverone7web.jpg

viverone1web.jpg

viverone5web.jpg

Henry, the problem is the graphics card in your laptop, resolve 14 requires 4gb of video ram for 4k, on a desktop you could get away with a 2gb card half of the time or with a couple of nodes or with a 2k max timeline, but the other half of the time resolve doesn’t have enough vram. If I remember correctly, the 840m GeForce tops at 1gb of ram.