Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

H.265 is hardware accelerated now unlike in the NX1 days. Resolve / FCPX will handle it WAY better than Adobe does with their dated software architecture.

What GPU do you have?

Either way, transcoding to ProRes is also hardware accelerated if you have EditReady to hand.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

H.265 is hardware accelerated now unlike in the NX1 days. Resolve / FCPX will handle it WAY better than Adobe does with their dated software architecture.

What GPU do you have?

Either way, transcoding to ProRes is also hardware accelerated if you have EditReady to hand.

Ha, I've done my research, The bitrate Fuji implements at 200Mbps and 400Mbps exceeds the maximum for hardware acceleration (for now).

Don't forget the 9ms rolling shutter! Better than almost any midrange pro cine cam and better even than the GH5. I'm probably gonna get one too, I own Fuji's 18 f2, 23 f1.4, 35 f1.4, and 56 f1.2 with an XPro2 and I feel like with specs like this it'd be dumb for me not to swap out the XPro for an X-T3.  Edit: looking for where I read someone had it nailed at 9ms for 4k 24p, but I think the response time is different in each mode. Still, it seems to lead the pack in sensor readout.

Regarding H265 being taxing on hardware, who cares. If it's a heavy edit, transcode it to ProRes or something. I'll be using mine with my Shogun Inferno either way, but still. Not that big of a deal. 

:edit: https://***URL not allowed***/fujifilm-x-t3-review/ C5D claims 9ms in 4K 25p - pretty nuts. 

52 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Right now the internal HEVC Main 10 Level 5.1 10bit files are extremely taxing on even the most high end hardware. Maybe Adobe CC 2019 with improved playback acceleration could make things a bit better, but for now if you really want 10bit, external recording is almost a must!

Upgrade to FCPX. My 2014 macbook pro plays and edit perfectly .H265 10 bit 4K files from DJI Mavic. 

• Administrators

9ms sounds a bit optimistic and Cinema5Dracula have been wrong before on their rolling shutter tests.

Fuji themselves claim 17ms in the fastest sensor mode, 4K 60p.

The GH5S is similar, maybe a bit less around 14-15ms.

The Alexa is around 10-12ms.

I highly doubt 24p is 9ms when Fuji themselves claim 17ms for 60p!!

As for the XT3, well why spend your money 5 days before Panasonic announced the same thing but FF? I don't get it. At least wait 5 days to see what it's like. 

If there is no 4K60P FF camera for 3000$ (A7S / GH5 FF) then I will get the Fuji, but the H2 will have IBIS and even better stuff. How long after the XT2 the H1 came?

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

9ms sounds a bit optimistic and Cinema5Dracula have been wrong before on their rolling shutter tests.

Fuji themselves claim 17ms in the fastest sensor mode, 4K 60p.

The GH5S is similar, maybe a bit less around 14-15ms.

The Alexa is around 10-12ms.

I highly doubt 24p is 9ms when Fuji themselves claim 17ms for 60p!!

What model Alexa were you using that was 10-12ms? In my experience it seems like much less but I don't know the spec.

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

As for the XT3, well why spend your money 5 days before Panasonic announced the same thing but FF? I don't get it. At least wait 5 days to see what it's like. 

If there is no 4K60P FF camera for 3000$ (A7S / GH5 FF) then I will get the Fuji, but the H2 will have IBIS and even better stuff. How long after the XT2 the H1 came?

5 days is nothing. Anyone can wait. Wait for what? An announcement or some prototype presentation for a release in 6 months? For a much different color science than Fuji? It will be hard to not resist to this 10-bit Fuji then, though : -) 

6 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I'd rather have a camera now than wait, if your gonna wait for Panasonic FF, then wait for A7siii, then wait for the Nikon Z7mk2, then wait for an updated micro cinema 4k, its always on going. 

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

5 days is nothing. Anyone can wait. Wait for what? An announcement or some prototype presentation for a release in 6 months? For a much different color science than Fuji? It will be hard to not resist to this 10-bit Fuji then, though : -) 

Who said it is 6 months. That's why wait 5 days. Costs nothing. Maybe they get a GH5 FF in 3 months and it's worth the wait. 
Color science lol... I don't care about that. I can produce great looking colors from A7 which is worst color science on earth according to internet. 

1 minute ago, Mako Sports said:

I'd rather have a camera now than wait, if your gonna wait for Panasonic FF, then wait for A7siii, then wait for the Nikon Z7mk2, then wait for an updated micro cinema 4k, its always on going. 

Lol, it's not like Andrew does not have a camera to shoot with. Was speaking to him.

58 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Who said it is 6 months. That's why wait 5 days. Costs nothing. Maybe they get a GH5 FF in 3 months and it's worth the wait. 
Color science lol... I don't care about that. I can produce great looking colors from A7 which is worst color science on earth according to internet. 

Really? We all know what you're talking about. We are in 2018 after all. But... color science @ acquisition matters or no one would care about to each camera release, isn't it? With or without post.

It is rumoured to be a prototype. It is predictable the release to happen sorta 6 months later or so. Without mention, what glass will you couple right there? Will you have immediately the same range you find in any system already available with many years of lens releases and dedicated adapters to other current mount line-ups?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujifilm_X-mount

(since 2012)

14 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Alexa is under 5ms, otherwise the highest framerate 200fps wouldn't be possible.

That sounds closer to what I experienced with it, but I never used it with very long lenses so I might be biased toward underestimating.

Perhaps it's 10-12ms at 24fps mode and 5ms at 200fps. But the rolling shutter seems negligible to me at 24fps except with camera flashes, or maybe different models are different. But if the GH5S is at the same level of rolling shutter the Alexa is... I might reconsider it over the C200 I'm planing to buy. ?