Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

15 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Did you have a chance to compare the quality of internal files to ProRes coming from the Ninja V? I wonder if there is any noticeable difference.

Like a lot of things there's gonna be subtle differences as you are getting 422 and almost no compression with prores. Its gonna be low returns for most people. 

I got a Ninja 2 to record with my XT30 though. No time limits, 4k downscaled to 1080p prores, which is convenient as I downscale and transcode to prores on my PC regardless. So it saves that step for me. Plus I'll get 10 bit 422 where as the XT30 only does 8 bit internal. I got one for $160 with a 256gb SSD, so its honestly a damn good deal I think. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Like a lot of things there's gonna be subtle differences as you are getting 422 and almost no compression with prores. Its gonna be low returns for most people. 

I got a Ninja 2 to record with my XT30 though. No time limits, 4k downscaled to 1080p prores, which is convenient as I downscale and transcode to prores on my PC regardless. So it saves that step for me. Plus I'll get 10 bit 422 where as the XT30 only does 8 bit internal. I got one for $160 with a 256gb SSD, so its honestly a damn good deal I think. 

I know the technical differences, but I'm not sure if you can actually see any difference, even when zoomed in. Would be great if someone could upload the same scene with lots of detail in 400 Mbps internal and ProRes as well.

53 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

I know the technical differences, but I'm not sure if you can actually see any difference, even when zoomed in. Would be great if someone could upload the same scene with lots of detail in 400 Mbps internal and ProRes as well.

Prores 422 4k is twice the data rate, so I don't see how you wouldn't see any improvement. Could be wrong of course. Its also 422 vs 420

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Prores 422 4k is twice the data rate, so I don't see how you wouldn't see any improvement. Could be wrong of course. Its also 422 vs 420

Efficiency plays a role as well, HEVC is way more advanced in this regard. The advantage of 4:2:2 might be visible, but I'm not sure about that either. When I had the X-T2 I used it with a Blackmagic Video Assist 4K. In some cases like fine wall textures I could see a difference in detail at 200-300% magnification, but I had to zoom in to like 600-800% to see difference in color transitions (4:2:0 vs 4:2:2). Now with 4x the data rate and a more efficient codec, my guess is that the difference is almost invisible.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:25 AM, BrunoCH said:

I continue to explore F-Log grading with RCM without LUT. I think I'm getting better results (colors, highlights roll off). F-log is very good; Fuji LUTs are not so good.
I'm more excited about the definitive release of Resolve 16.1 than the XT3 firmware update.

I use the @Attila Bakos workflow where you use a CST node to convert from rec.2020 to rec.709,  and then make adjustments in whatever various nodes before hitting a second CST node to take it back from rec.709 to rec.2020, then apply the Fuji LUT (which is expecting rec.2020) at the end.

RCM, it seems to me, makes all of Resolve behave like the bits between the two CST nodes above, where you're always making adjustments in the rec.709 color space. You wouldn't put the Fuji LUT there between the two CSTs. Does that mean that the Fuji LUTs are no longer useable if working using the RCM with F-Log workflow?

7 minutes ago, andrew_dotdot said:

I use the @Attila Bakos workflow where you use a CST node to convert from rec.2020 to rec.709,  and then make adjustments in whatever various nodes before hitting a second CST node to take it back from rec.709 to rec.2020, then apply the Fuji LUT (which is expecting rec.2020) at the end.

RCM, it seems to me, makes all of Resolve behave like the bits between the two CST nodes above, where you're always making adjustments in the rec.709 color space. You wouldn't put the Fuji LUT there between the two CSTs. Does that mean that the Fuji LUTs are no longer useable if working using the RCM with F-Log workflow?

Hmm... why is this my workflow? :) I rarely use CST nodes and I don't use the official LUT's.

13 hours ago, andrew_dotdot said:

. Does that mean that the Fuji LUTs are no longer useable if working using the RCM with F-Log workflow?

The fuji LUTs are technical LUTs for delog  (apart from the eterna LUT that is hybrid (delog + look eterna)). If you use the RCM to treat the F-log, you don’t need these technical LUTs anymore. The job is already done. On the other hand, you can always use creative LUTs to give a mood.

First time I see this. hopefully here others are also using X-T3 and Ninja V and can tell me what I am doing wrong! Filmed with my Fuji X-T3 a ditch and prutrace last weekend, files in HLG on both SD card and Ninja V SSD. Viewing with potplayer, same quality. But... puttig it on timeline in Adobe without any grading, the Ninja file gets overexposed. Is this normal? Or is this an Atomos issue? Settings? I also don't understand there is no firmware upgrade for Ninja V. Any advise?

vergelijk.png

9 hours ago, androidlad said:

It's been discussed a few times before.

The HLG flag in ProRes file automatically triggers Premiere Pro CC to apply an HDR to SDR conversion.

If I google, than I find more about this. also here at this forum. Never had problems before ... I think. Solution is not there at this moment as far as I 'google'. Unfortunatelly.

19 minutes ago, keessie65 said:

Is the free version good enough? do you use this? .. sorry to ask, newby about Resolve.

I use the Studio version but the free version is great, lots of people from this forum use it. I'm typing from a phone now, can't go into details, but I found a feature comparison for v15, it's a good start: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/SupportNotes/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Feature_Comparison.pdf