Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

I was joking man... The thing is serious though : ( Got the chance to go political. The world is in danger. People and planet suffer in their hands, count on it. No time to be silent : ) @The ghost of squig @Ed_David

@heart0less Your post made me to remind of these ones here from same source going along a beautiful combo with Mavic Pro II too (Fujifilm's CS is my 2nd choice to follow Blackmagic BTW):

Why worry, a 1/3 of us on here will probably be dead in 20 years anyways. It will or will not move on without us. Enjoy the time left. Be happy, don't worry like the song says.

Hello all, I am lucky to find this thread and spend hours to read from page 1 

I am a canon user 5d Mark iv, and part-time photographer/filmmaker, I have invested canon glass almost 5 Canon L lenses. I am now looking to 4k film and not happy with canon reason is Crop, no 60fps, and huge file size. I also have Ronin-s which I use for the film. Here is the type of films I do *below Youtube Link* > shot with 5div 1080 50fps, I have used EOS-R and not happy with it as it also has CROP and no smooth 60fps option, i am seriously considering Fuji x-T30 knowing that again I have to buy few Fuji lenses. 

My daily go to gear is 2.8 24-70 & 70-200 zoom lens, Ronin-S & Handheld video bites, 5div, low light indoor party film Highlight videos. Max ISO I use 2000 to 2500 with 2.8 lenses, Love touch screen on 5d for focus and almost all my shooting is with Auto Focus.

With Xt3 I am not worrying of in body stabilisation or APS-C.

Can someone please help me to make my decision: ?

Would it be good or this kind of videos?

Is XH-1 better for me than Xt3?  

Is Autofocus god to track subjects in low light?

Noise & AF in low light? 

Any things I need to worry about? 

Can I use Canon glasses with Adapter if so anyone tried how AF is good with Adapter for video? 

Heard new firmware improves many things inc Focus. Is it good in video AFocus? 

Thanks a lot

Vamsi

1 hour ago, Webvamsi666 said:

Hi Vamsi, my answers are in orange.

I am a canon user 5d Mark iv, and part-time photographer/filmmaker, I have invested canon glass almost 5 Canon L lenses. I am now looking to 4k film and not happy with canon reason is Crop, no 60fps, and huge file size. I also have Ronin-s which I use for the film. Here is the type of films I do *below Youtube Link* > shot with 5div 1080 50fps, I have used EOS-R and not happy with it as it also has CROP and no smooth 60fps option, i am seriously considering Fuji x-T30 knowing that again I have to buy few Fuji lenses. 

My daily go to gear is 2.8 24-70 & 70-200 zoom lens, Ronin-S & Handheld video bites, 5div, low light indoor party film Highlight videos. Max ISO I use 2000 to 2500 with 2.8 lenses, Love touch screen on 5d for focus and almost all my shooting is with Auto Focus.

With Xt3 I am not worrying of in body stabilisation or APS-C.

Can someone please help me to make my decision: ?

Would it be good or this kind of videos?

> Yes

Is XH-1 better for me than Xt3?  

>If you need IBIS, yes. Otherwise, no. X-T3 is better in all video specs.

Is Autofocus god to track subjects in low light?

>No. Especially if you're used to DPAF. It's just not as good. First, there is NO actual tracking except for Face Detection and, second, Face Detection implementation is still quite poor compared to Canon's. Touch to focus works well but, again, no tracking.

Noise & AF in low light? 

>Noise is very good in low light (better than Canon cameras which, granted, is easy to say). Low light AF isn't as good as Canon -it's a lot easier to force the X-T3 to hunt than I'd prefer.

Any things I need to worry about? 

>The decision to switch because of crop is kind of a non-issue if you're only going to use the Canon full-frame glass with an adapter since the X-T3 is APS-C/Super 35 crop, anyway. The other features you mention, 4K 60FPS, and HEVC are, indeed, excellent on the X-T3.

As someone who swaps between photos and video all the time, I really like the option to have separate video exposure settings on the X-T3.

OIS doesn't work as well on the X-T3 -even with native Fujifilm lenses.

The Fujifilm App is really terrible for production compared to Canon's.

Can I use Canon glasses with Adapter if so anyone tried how AF is good with Adapter for video?

>Yes. I have the Fringer Pro v.1. AF depends on the lens being used but it's usually very quick (possibly too quick for video, depending on the lens). I have a number of current L-series zooms including the 16-35 f4, 24-70 f4, 24-70 f2.8 II, 70-200 f2.8 II IS, and the 70-300 IS and they have all behaved equally well shooting video. The focus transition adjustment isn't as effective as it is with native Fujifilm lenses so don't plan on doing a lot of rack-focusing with them.

Heard new firmware improves many things inc Focus. Is it good in video AFocus?

>As above, I don't feel it's as good as Canon's DPAF.

Good luck with your decision!

JP

4 hours ago, Webvamsi666 said:

I have used EOS-R and not happy with it as it also has CROP and no smooth 60fps option, i am seriously considering Fuji x-T30 knowing that again I have to buy few Fuji lenses. 

Note that the X-T30 is a different camera to the X-T3

The X-T30 has a lot of the goodness of the X-T3 but at a much lower price (with the trade off of a few drawbacks such as no 10bit and bit shorter max record times etc)

3 hours ago, heart0less said:

Dear Fujifilm shooters - which of your lenses do you use and like most when taking photos?

18-55 / 2.8-4 ? 23/2 ?

50mm f/2 and 56mm f/1.2 when I have a plan.

18-55mm f2.8-4 when I don't have one.

Honestly, the other two I have (35mm f/2 and 23mm f/2) are great, too. It's all a matter of choosing the right focal length for the subject. I don't feel any are optically superior to the others.

11 hours ago, androidlad said:

Rolling shutter is determined by the sensor readout speed, not the processor.

They share the same sensor.

That may be so, but the xt20 shared the same internals as the xt2 and had noticeably worse rolling shutter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if X-T2 cage would fit X-T3?

I do realize that X-T3 is not listed as compatible and that smallrig released a new design that supposedly fits both X-T2 and X-T3, but at the same time I know that many companies are known to slightly alter older designs without changing much, call it 'brand new design' only to sell something again and again.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-fuji-x-t2-cage-for-fujifilm-x-t2-camera-1881.html

This cage can be bought for ~25$, whereas a X-T3 cage costs ~85$.

I asked one of the resellers the exact same question and he stated that: "cable clamp ports will be blocked with XT-3" He offered me a 7% discount on a new model, as well. ( :

On 7/24/2019 at 10:55 AM, thephoenix said:

how do you guys expose with the XT3 for hlg ?

any of you use ETTR ? if yes how do you work ? zebras or histogram ?

how should zebras be set ?

I've not used HLG.

I ETTR when I have time.

Zebras can tell you more as they tell you WHAT is overexposed (same with Waveform vs Historgram).

Traditionally, zebras are set between 70-100 IRE (which I believe correlates to 70%-100% on the X-T3).

I have "My Menu" setup so that Zebra On/Off and Zebra settings are a quick few button presses away. I use 100% to see if anything is completely overexposed and then between 40-80% to light skin tones.