Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

I wouldn't say the 16-55 is sharper than the Sigma in "absolute" terms; have used both the Nikon and Canon versions on Fuji cameras, as well as the GH5. both with speedboosters and dummy adapters. The point is, the 16-55 is perfectly matched to the X-Trans sensor, can't put my finger on it, could be micro contrast, color rendering or whatever. The end result is, it produces a magnificent image, both for video and stills.

Speaking of the AF, hell yes, it's bloody instant. This is true of other linear motor Fujinons also. I tested the X-T3 with the lowly 15-45 yesterday, a lens you can pick-up for 150 euros new, in some places, and it's tiny and feather-weight. It has an electronic focus ring that provides a smooth zooming action, and AF is so fast that it fools you into thinking it's parfocal. 

I'm preparing a review of the X-T3 for (probably) the next 10 days or so; although I fried the X-H1 in a previous review, I think the X-T3 is the bomb. Shame Fujifilm couldn't hold on and release the X-H1 with these exact same specs, instead of hurrying it to the market and having to face the marketing onslaught of the a7iii.

Thank you for that! Great info!

Speaking of batteries, I did a quick test of the 126S on the X-T3, and findings were surprising. 

In the X-T2 and X-H1, the battery lasted somewhere between 40 and 50 minutes in video. The X-T3 managed one hour, 20 minutes continuous recording (here is a screenshot of the last frame of my test video). This was 4K 100mbps recording, completely static (so no AF), and, although it's far from the ~2.5 hours on the GH5, it's still much better than the previous situation. They probably did some magic with the power circuit in this camera. Worthy of note that the battery indicator was very accurate; in fact it remained on red for more than 20 minutes (whereas in previous cameras it would turn red and after a couple of minutes die suddenly). Have also to note that the camera started overheating (not to an alarming degree though, and no protection circuit kicking in). 

XT3-battery.thumb.png.1bfdb30fa0ee07a24a54a900dff005d5.png

can you record continuos, without time limit (29.59) and overheat on a powerbank with the xt-3 ?!?

2 hours ago, omega1978 said:

can you record continuos, without time limit (29.59) and overheat on a powerbank with the xt-3 ?!?

The 29:59 limit is there in any case (it also breaks up the footage in 4GB chunks because of the stupid file system). I haven't tested it with an external supply, but I'd suppose situation would not improve with one. 

Hi all - Just made my first video ever. Used the newly acquired X-T3. Also used the new Feiyu AK2000 and my first time using any gimbal. I was later able to use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable to start/stop recording from the gimbal and also acquire focus though I wasn't able to use it for this video. Got the X-T3 because I wanted to have our wedding video be in 4K HDR and this seemed to be the only economical way to do it. I also have some graded HDR test clips shot from the X-T3 but I cannot find it right now. Unfortunately Resolve doesn't seem to do HEVC export or 10 bit H.264 so this is exported and uploaded as 8 bit.

10 hours ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

The 29:59 limit is there in any case (it also breaks up the footage in 4GB chunks because of the stupid file system). I haven't tested it with an external supply, but I'd suppose situation would not improve with one. 

thats frustrating, so you must record externaly to have continuos rec. and avoid 4gb file splits ?

i hoped to switch from a6500 to fuji to have 4k60p, better color and lower rolling shutter for weddings in gimbal( sometimes rs is very bad when you have pan shot)

maybe combine a ninja v + xt-3 is the solution.but battery, weight and filesize are big

2 hours ago, Topcat said:

I also have some graded HDR test clips shot from the X-T3 but I cannot find it right now. Unfortunately Resolve doesn't seem to do HEVC export or 10 bit H.264 so this is exported and uploaded as 8 bit.

How do you have some graded HDR test clips shot from the X-T3 when the firmware enabling HLG HDR recording hasn't come out yet?

Also, why not just export from Resolve as Prores 4444 and then convert to 10bit h265 in something like Handbrake? That's what I do.

5 hours ago, omega1978 said:

maybe combine a ninja v + xt-3 is the solution.but battery, weight and filesize are big

That's only if you are shooting where power is unavailable... like outdoors. However, when outdoors that 1000 nit brightness of the Ninja V is surely handy.  Should weight or bulk be of concern,  I leave the Ninja V... but other than that, it's a good pairing with this camera. I view it as no different than when I shoot outdoors with the GH5 or GH5S... or 1DXMK2 for those cameras I would often attach a SmallHD Focus so I could view what I was filming in bright light. Size and weight is similar. Really,  more often than not, the added weight is not why I chose to leave external monitoring... it usually comes down to a desire to be discreet. 

15 minutes ago, DBounce said:

That's only if you are shooting where power is unavailable... like outdoors. However, when outdoors that 1000 nit brightness of the Ninja V is surely handy.  Should weight or bulk be of concern,  I leave the Ninja V... but other than that, it's a good pairing with this camera. I view it as no different than when I shoot outdoors with the GH5 or GH5S... or 1DXMK2 for those cameras I would often attach a SmallHD Focus so I could view what I was filming in bright light. Size and weight is similar. Really,  more often than not, the added weight is not why I chose to leave external monitoring... it usually comes down to a desire to be discreet. 

I shoot mostly wedding and event, some corporate.on a wedding i hold cam+gimbal for more then 8 hours.so weight is a problem when you add monitor + battery. With the Xt- 3 i need also a external battery.

Is true that with the a6500( that have a bad  display in 4K) i have a feelworld 5 inch monitor, but battery last long.

And after ceremony i switch to FS5 with monopod( so time to hold gimbal ist not so long)

But a will switch to a main cam for hole day , so Fuji  XT-3 maybe ist an option

7 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

How do you have some graded HDR test clips shot from the X-T3 when the firmware enabling HLG HDR recording hasn't come out yet?

Also, why not just export from Resolve as Prores 4444 and then convert to 10bit h265 in something like Handbrake? That's what I do.

I shot in F-Log and converted to PQ Rec2020. Actually the F-Log already uses Rec2020 as F-Gamut so really just converting to PQ in Resolve by normalizing with a Bezier curve and outputting ST.2084. This article explains how its done. https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2016/10/27/hdr-video-part-5-grading-mastering-and-delivering-hdr

18 minutes ago, Topcat said:

I shot in F-Log and converted to PQ Rec2020. Actually the F-Log already uses Rec2020 as F-Gamut so really just converting to PQ in Resolve by normalizing with a Bezier curve and outputting ST.2084. This article explains how its done. https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2016/10/27/hdr-video-part-5-grading-mastering-and-delivering-hdr

Thanks for sharing, great information!! ( had to pause a few times tho ) ?

33 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Just discovered the XT3 does  400mbps in Long GOP,  I am quite surprised. The GH5 and other cameras do 400mbps in All-I but not Long GOP. Should yield some noticeable quality increase. 

All-I is better quality than Long GOP. So why would it yield a quality increase? 

4 minutes ago, crevice said:

All-I is better quality than Long GOP. So why would it yield a quality increase? 

All-I, however really needs a significantly higher bitrate to retain a quality image than long-GOP. So the GOP should be better. Will be a turd to edit computer wise though.