Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

16 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

How would you compare them if both had IBIS (x-h1) and they cost similar (buying used)?

Im thinking about the 16-55.

Mattias, I used to own the 16-55 and used it for about a year and a half with both the X-Pro2 and X-T2. It's a totally magnificent lens for the X-System. Shooting stills, I had shootings where I ended up using it exclusively, although I had 4-5 other Fujinon lenses in the bag. I sold it some time ago to finance some other stuff, but was regretting it terribly sometimes... 

As it happens, just today I received from the Greek Fujifilm dealer a brand new 16-55 along with a brand new X-T3. ? Just scratched the surface so far, but I'm blown away at how well they work together, especially for video AF (stills AF is a given; it's instant and accurate). 

Also keep in mind that, being a heavier lens, actually helps a lot while handholding it. In fact I did some shots at the wider end and, if care is taken, you would swear they are stabilized. You can usually find it in Europe at a little more than 800 euro new; through grey market importers. If you can buy tax exempt from a different EU country, it would be about the same (retail minus tax).  

A word for the Tamron: a colleague uses it mainly in weddings with the a7Sii. He tells me that, initially, he had some issues with AF, but my understanding is they were fixed by some firmware update. Apart from that he likes it a lot, and considers it a swiss-army knife type of lens. Quality wise though I think the Fujinon is in a different class, not to mention not being a "generic" zoom lens (it's "custom-made" for Fuji cameras, I mean). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you don't like the 4GB file splitting and don't mind a bit of work, download ffmpeg, put ffmpeg.exe and your mov files you want to concatenate into a folder, and create a bat file (in windows) in that same folder with the following two lines:

(for %%i in (*.mov) do @echo file '%%i') > mylist.txt
ffmpeg -f concat -i mylist.txt -c copy output.mov

Running this will concatenate all the mov files in that folder without re-encoding into a file named output.mov. Keep in mind that on an average HDD this can take at least 1 minute/4GB.

2 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

If you don't like the 4GB file splitting and don't mind a bit of work, download ffmpeg, put ffmpeg.exe and your mov files you want to concatenate into a folder, and create a bat file (in windows) in that same folder with the following two lines:

(for %%i in (*.mov) do @echo file '%%i') > mylist.txt
ffmpeg -f concat -i mylist.txt -c copy output.mov

Running this will concatenate all the mov files in that folder without re-encoding into a file named output.mov. Keep in mind that on an average HDD this can take at least 1 minute/4GB.

The 4GB file splitting will be fixed in a firmware update in November.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Agghhhh... salivating!

From a quick play... salivating makes total sense. This lens is ever bit as good as you have heard. Important note for anyone thinking of picking one up. Remember that the focal range is as marked... no need to multiply by 1.5. So 18-55mm is really 18-55mm.

1 minute ago, DBounce said:

From a quick play... salivating makes total sense. This lens is ever bit as good as you have heard. Important note for anyone thinking of picking one up. Remember that the focal range is as marked... no need to multiply by 1.5. So 18-55mm is really 18-55mm.

What do you mean no need to multiply by 1.5? I thought all lenses are marked by 35mm focal length. So 18-55 would have FF equivalent FOV of 28-85?

9 minutes ago, androidlad said:

What do you mean no need to multiply by 1.5? I thought all lenses are marked by 35mm focal length. So 18-55 would have FF equivalent FOV of 28-85?

True. Check here: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n180215_02.html

In the 35mm format equivalent, MKX18-55mm covers a focal distance from 27mm to 84mm and MKX50-135mm covers a focal distance from 76mm to 206mm.

My apologies for what might be a noob question but my searches have not found the answer to the question whether Davinci Resolve Studio supports the 10 bit files coming from the Fujifilm X-T3. I can transcode these files successfully but hope I can just edit the 10 bit files on my timeline. I currently use the free version of DR but will upgrade if it works. Thanks for any help on this.

Just now, bsalisbury said:

My apologies for what might be a noob question but my searches have not found the answer to the question whether Davinci Resolve Studio supports the 10 bit files coming from the Fujifilm X-T3. I can transcode these files successfully but hope I can just edit the 10 bit files on my timeline. I currently use the free version of DR but will upgrade if it works. Thanks for any help on this.

I only tried 10bit 4K25 files from my X-T3, but they play just fine in Resolve.

Y'all are needlessly confusing yourselves.

These lenses are listed in their actual focal lengths. These numbers are a property of the optical system, independent of whatever camera they're being used on.

The field of view these lenses give IS affected by the sensor size of the camera they're mounted to, but that does not change the focal length of the lens--only the effective field of view.

Also, no one in the cinema world "translates" their focal lengths to full frame. 18-55 is 18-55. 

• Administrators
20 hours ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Mattias, I used to own the 16-55 and used it for about a year and a half with both the X-Pro2 and X-T2. It's a totally magnificent lens for the X-System. Shooting stills, I had shootings where I ended up using it exclusively, although I had 4-5 other Fujinon lenses in the bag. I sold it some time ago to finance some other stuff, but was regretting it terribly sometimes... 

As it happens, just today I received from the Greek Fujifilm dealer a brand new 16-55 along with a brand new X-T3. ? Just scratched the surface so far, but I'm blown away at how well they work together, especially for video AF (stills AF is a given; it's instant and accurate). 

Also keep in mind that, being a heavier lens, actually helps a lot while handholding it. In fact I did some shots at the wider end and, if care is taken, you would swear they are stabilized. You can usually find it in Europe at a little more than 800 euro new; through grey market importers. If you can buy tax exempt from a different EU country, it would be about the same (retail minus tax).  

A word for the Tamron: a colleague uses it mainly in weddings with the a7Sii. He tells me that, initially, he had some issues with AF, but my understanding is they were fixed by some firmware update. Apart from that he likes it a lot, and considers it a swiss-army knife type of lens. Quality wise though I think the Fujinon is in a different class, not to mention not being a "generic" zoom lens (it's "custom-made" for Fuji cameras, I mean).

That lens is absolutely nuts. I got mine a few months ago (16-55mm F2.8) and initially used it on the X-H1. It has sharpness like a Cooke S4i. Yet it's a zoom, for a consumer camera. I don't know what Fuji did here but that's some seriously impressive optics. Sharper than the Sigma 18-35mm and smaller, lighter. The AF is practically instantaneous not to mention silent, it's been flawless on the X-T3 so far.

Review is half way done for the X-T3 but having an EOS R and Z7 to compare it to has slowed things down. Still, should have it done by early next week.

Just did a very non scientific power bank test with the X-T3. I fully charged the battery inside the camera with the factory charger, and I wanted to see how much time it takes until 1 unit on the camera display's battery level indicator is lost when using 4K60 recording (and boost mode turned on) with a power bank attached:

Anker 20000 PD: 25 mins until heat warning, I decided to stop the test there, indicator still showed full battery
Asus ZenPower 10050 (no PD on this one, just a regular power bank): 17 mins
No power bank attached: 13 mins

It seems it's a good idea to get a power bank with PD support. Actually this is what Fuji recommends as well.