Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

L1160654b.jpg

X-T3 in da house!

Just a quick glimpse at the image, but I already have a feeling it's the best I've ever seen from a camera this price. Wonderful codec and detail.

I am trying the Zhongyi SpeedMaster 35mm F0.95, which is also a positive first impressions, very clean bokeh and Noctilux-like rendering.

I am letting that duke it out with a couple of cheap Speed Booster clones though, to see if it's worth the money over, say, a Minolta 50mm F1.4 + SB.

Hey guess what - you can punch in to focus during 4K recording and the quality is incredibly detailed, unlike Sony.

The EVF is better than A7 III hands down.

I am using Film Simulation bracket-mode for stills which is right next to Movie mode on the drive lever, makes it a bit easier to switch.

1/50 assigned to "T" on the shutter dial.

Just waiting for my B+W vario ND to arrive.

It will be manual focus for now as I am away from my main base with all my fuji glass back there. Will be bringing this to Photokina with me and saying to Canon "why would I buy YOUR 1.8x crop mirrorless camera" :)

GH5 just got beaten I think.

All it lacks over A7 III is a way to get the full frame look with Canon lenses at the same time as AF. There needs to be a better range of adapters!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Oh yes that one exists, but I've never been able to find one to buy. I'll have another look.

38 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Have you had a go of the Kipon Baveyes 0.7x AF one ?

Im expecting delivery of the Kipon Baveyes 0.7x AF on Tuesday :) 
(If the estimated date was accurate that is.)

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

All it lacks over A7 III is a way to get the full frame look with Canon lenses at the same time as AF. There needs to be a better range of adapters!

I will take the opportunity and gather courage to ask (anybody) probably stupid and totally ignorant question: what would be ingredients of "full frame look" in video besides easier getting shallow DOF, UW solution and better lowlight usability?

Namely, I had once upon a time just Sony A7S II as FF representative and to my shame I must admire that I didn't notice anything special in comparison with equally framed and proportionately illuminated crop sensor resulted HD delivery image, even in comparison with BMPCC 2.88x crop factor.

• Super Members

Fuji lenses are absolutely fantastic, I love them, for stills. For video they are mediocre imo because the MF is sketchy and often drifts.
They are quite pricy as well. So my melody is to get a trinity +/- a lens or two as a base for stills.
And then buy MF lenses and/or adapt for video.

• Administrators

Just picked up a Canon FD 24mm F1.4L and 85mm F1.2L also FD at Foto Mayer in Berlin!

Have put them on the Zhongyi Turbo II for the full frame look.

They are CREAMY and great manual focus. Aperture ring and hard stops unlike EF lenses.

What a pair of bros...

Click the shots to see sharpness (forum compresses to hell the inline previews)

24mm "Jerry":

DSCF8119.JPG

85mm "Zowie":

DSCF8057.JPG

DSCF8050.JPG

DSCF8053.JPG

Those shots were all with the Zhongyi Turbo II (150 bucks)

30 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Just picked up a Canon FD 24mm F1.4L and 85mm F1.2L also FD at Foto Mayer in Berlin!

Have put them on the Zhongyi Turbo II for the full frame look.

They are CREAMY and great manual focus. Aperture ring and hard stops unlike EF lenses.

What a pair of bros...

Click the shots to see sharpness (forum compresses to hell the inline previews)

24mm "Jerry":

DSCF8119.JPG

85mm "Zowie":

DSCF8057.JPG

DSCF8050.JPG

DSCF8053.JPG

Those shots were all with the Zhongyi Turbo II (150 bucks)

Please make some video files available for download. Thank you!

6 hours ago, anto said:

I saw this video. autofocus is very impressive, but if you see the background the bokeh increases with visible steps. it depend from the lens. there is lens theat work with x-t3aperture rings without steps at the aperture?
anyway, maybe the X-T3 its the best mirrorless choise for video, but BM pocke 4k I think it's far better in cinematography video. eterna lut is nice, it seams  better than the other log cam, but BMPCC 4K has raw, prores, and than BRaw.
the only thing that I consider objectively better it's sensor S35 (in terms of dimension)

Only one of the two cameras you mention here is a true hybrid... and it's not the P4K. The Blackmagic camera is really a video only camera that allows for frame grabs. Because let's be honest,  no one is taking a camera that can only capture 8MP serious as a stills camera. 

With that in mind you should be comparing the P4K to other cinema cameras... I suspect it may compare less favorably in this category.

But on the other hand, if you feel the P4K is actually a hybrid, then you need to consider its prowess as a still photography camera. I would have serious doubt that the Blackmagic camera would be anyone's first choice for actual photography. On the other hand the Fujifilm camera is an excellent choice for stills.  

Hybrids require balance.  They must be well suited to both photography and video work. The X-T3 is a great tool for either task... the same cannot be said of the P4K.

Im not hating on the P4K... I will buy one. I'm just keeping it real. 

The lens turbo is awesome! 

I definitely wouldn't buy fuji glass for manual focus. Auto focus lenses are almost always crap for manual. I use Minolta vintage glass for manual focus 50mm 1.4 , 35 1.8, 24 2.8, and 128 2.8. 

I am getting the Fuji for auto focus and stills. Even if it wasn't a still camera I'd still buy it for auto focus. I really prefer APSC, but if it weren't for auto focus I'd probably go with BM. 

8 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The lens turbo is awesome! 

I definitely wouldn't buy fuji glass for manual focus. Auto focus lenses are almost always crap for manual. I use Minolta vintage glass for manual focus 50mm 1.4 , 35 1.8, 24 2.8, and 128 2.8. 

I am getting the Fuji for auto focus and stills. Even if it wasn't a still camera I'd still buy it for auto focus. I really prefer APSC, but if it weren't for auto focus I'd probably go with BM. 

There's the MKX series lenses... but they are much larger. 

Loving the stills output from the X-T3. I could tell from within the first few clicks of the shutter button that this camera is rather special for photography. From my early footage I am very optimistic about video also. Here are some photography samples from the X-T3. The video shootout will be up in a short while. I have quite a bit of footage to import and edit.

DSCF1138.JPG

DSCF1254.JPG

DSCF1272.JPG