Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

4 minutes ago, DBounce said:

So I plan to do a shootout comparison between the GH5S and the Fujifilm X-T3 this weekend. I can tell you the Fufi is s perfect travel size. Love the retro looks.

if there is anything specific you really want to see post it here and I will do my best to address it.

Would love to see various skintones in various lighting with high ISOs and Eterna :)

Some rolling shutter tests in 4k  25p wouldn't hurt either.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, Young said:

Would love to see various skintones in various lighting with high ISOs and Eterna :)

Some rolling shutter tests in 4k  25p wouldn't hurt either.

I don't think the Fuji is really a low-light monster like the GH5s, but I think it's got it beat on color by far, and what comes out of the camera without torturing it in post is really great.

I tend to shoot Eterna over exposed---not a great deal, but over exposed. The 10 bit codec makes exposure corrections no problem in post. If you do a skin tone test let me recommend you use more than one film simulation for different looks. I like Provia a lot and the lighter, softer version of Pro Neg when it comes to skin tones.

IMO the footage that comes from the camera in the X-T3 is far superior to the GH5, requiring much less work in post to make it look great---and it's not just color, it's an image that is both soft on the eyes but sharp and clean. IMO Fuji may have the best color/image quality of any of the makers, and I weigh that as much more important that those stupid rolling shutter tests. Who the hell uses a camera like that?

3 hours ago, Simon Young said:

Lovely looking footage @tomsemiterrific 

When setting noise reduction to -4 with the Eterna simulation, would you say it is completely off or is the camera still doing some noise reduction?

I have no idea. I only know I shoot Eterna somewhat over exposed. I think that's better regarding noise in the finished product.

• Super Members

Exactly how would I go about getting the wax skin thing? I've shot Fuji for a couple of years and never encountered it. Never even heard of it outside Dave Dougdales A7s video. Do I need to mess up the exposure or something?

Would be useful to know when it happens so one can plan for it.

25 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Exactly how would I go about getting the wax skin thing? I've shot Fuji for a couple of years and never encountered it. Never even heard of it outside Dave Dougdales A7s video. Do I need to mess up the exposure or something?

Would be useful to know when it happens so one can plan for it.

I have seen it many times with the x-t2 I used to own, but it only happens with JPEGs of course, and at higher ISOs. Same goes for video. It’s just a sort of smearing of the skin tones, making it look rather texture less.

But it’s of course something we are more or less sensitive about. 

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

So I plan to do a shootout comparison between the GH5S and the Fujifilm X-T3 this weekend. I can tell you the Fufi is s perfect travel size. Love the retro looks.

if there is anything specific you really want to see post it here and I will do my best to address it.

Low light video perfomance, iso > 3200) 

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

I have seen it many times with the x-t2 I used to own, but it only happens with JPEGs of course, and at higher ISOs. Same goes for video. It’s just a sort of smearing of the skin tones, making it look rather texture less.

But it’s of course something we are more or less sensitive about. 

Ok, must be rare or only in certain situations then. Because I've shot every which ways, many times in iso1600-6400 and it hasn't happen. Will run some tests with weird exposures to see if I can provoke it. Only way to deal with things like that imo is to understand and avoid it, otherwise we couldn't buy any cameras at all :)

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ok, must be rare or only in certain situations then. Because I've shot every which ways, many times in iso1600-6400 and it hasn't happen. Will run some tests with weird exposures to see if I can provoke it. Only way to deal with things like that imo is to understand and avoid it, otherwise we couldn't buy any cameras at all :)

Shooting the natural film simulation with less contrast and saturation will bring it out on the X-T2. (this was the days pre-internal FLOG)

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Kubrickian said:

Shooting the natural film simulation with less contrast and saturation will bring it out on the X-T2. (this was the days pre-internal FLOG)

Ahh, that might be why. I stoped turning things down in pictures profiles a few years back since in my experience it does more harm than it helps. Imo, it feels like a leftover from the early DSLR-video days.

23 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

The intro in this video with the slow motion shots on the arm displays exactly what I’m talking about. The skin is completely void of texture. There’s no life in it. And it’s not a question of detail or resolution, just look at her flannel shirt.

I agree. 

The problem with a lot of these cameras is people want Log and flat profile but really don't have a clue on how to treat these files.

This is off-topic somewhat, as its photo-related and not video-related, but I got my X-T3 today, and I can't for the life of me wrap my head around the 'Sports Finder Mode'/30fps burst/MS vs ES.

If I set the shutter type to MS, I can turn on Sports Finder Mode (SFM from here on out), and I DO see the crop lines on-screen, but the max burst rate is still 11fps.

What's the point in this scenario? Just to crop the photo?

If I set the shutter type to ES, I can turn on SFM only if burst mode is set to 11fps. If I set the burst mode to 30fps, SFM is off and greyed out, and the live view crops in 1.25x (rather than showing full view with crop lines like in MS).

So SFM mode only works at 11fps, whats the point?

30fps ES also crops in, but isn't considered SFM. Also, if you want more than 11fps, you have to manually set the shutter to ES, M+E doesn't do the trick. 

The manual doesn't really explain anything other than say there's the 1.25x crop. Can anyone out there with their camera explain to me, I'm probably just being an idiot.

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ahh, that might be why. I stoped turning things down in pictures profiles a few years back since in my experience it does more harm than it helps. Imo, it feels like a leftover from the early DSLR-video days.

I generally only do it for sharpness these days on my Panasonics. Not because it was too much, but because I like fine tuning it in post. But I agree in general, I don't usually tune anything anymore and haven't since the GH3. 

6 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

AF and bigger sensor, if either thing matters to you. Otherwise its not purely for video, but better if you need both a stills & video camera.

Yeah definitely if you need stills. But yeah auto focus and S35 sensor. The three reasons I am getting it over the black magic.

Finally a confirmation that the high ISO performance beats the XT2. Definitely more detail, less mush.

I saw this video. autofocus is very impressive, but if you see the background the bokeh increases with visible steps. it depend from the lens. there is lens theat work with x-t3aperture rings without steps at the aperture?
anyway, maybe the X-T3 its the best mirrorless choise for video, but BM pocke 4k I think it's far better in cinematography video. eterna lut is nice, it seams  better than the other log cam, but BMPCC 4K has raw, prores, and than BRaw.
the only thing that I consider objectively better it's sensor S35 (in terms of dimension)