Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

H.265 is hardware accelerated now unlike in the NX1 days. Resolve / FCPX will handle it WAY better than Adobe does with their dated software architecture.

What GPU do you have?

Either way, transcoding to ProRes is also hardware accelerated if you have EditReady to hand.

you don't even need a dedicated gpu, mainstream intel cpu laptop since generation 7 can decode h265 10 bit in hardware not sure if it can go up to 200mbit/s though (intel cpu generation 6 could not : https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_7200u-653-vs-intel_core_i7_6500u-588 https://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/intel-launches-7th-generation-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-i3-7350k/6 )

23 minutes ago, amanieux said:

you don't even need a dedicated gpu, mainstream intel cpu laptop since generation 7 can decode h265 10 bit in hardware not sure if it can go up to 200mbit/s though (intel cpu generation 6 could not : https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_7200u-653-vs-intel_core_i7_6500u-588 https://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/intel-launches-7th-generation-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-i3-7350k/6 )

It's limited to maximum 160Mbps

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Care to post a link to these tests?

The XT2 has at least 12 stops... good enough for most. XT3 should improve this further.

Sure. Had two xt2s. Worst purchase in last 2 years.  No DR . Rubbish.  Lost money on  that Fuji crap. Photos perhas, not for video.

XT3 with log will be different, better. Here is gh5 vs Fuji xt3..

Not as scientific but it shows DR.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

You obviously have no

idea what you are talking about. I don’t need to provide evidence, since we’re supposed to just take your word as gospel.

Listen, 

you just a dribble out of your depth here. 

You stay where you are and learn something. You know nothing about me. I Come to Vietnam to shoot every 3-4 months, for money. And other places.

Spent last 27 years shooting for TV and broadcast, studied Film and TV at Uni. My work has been screened in Europe, USA and Australia. Have used and bought variety of cameras.  From $1k to $50k. So like i said. 6ou are out of your depth talking nonsense. 

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Thanks for the tests, Tom. Not gonna lie though, the bokeh in those zoo shots looks pretty darn busy - not very attractive.

Absolute shocker.

First shots chroma is too high, blacks are crushed. Very unnatural images. 

Set up that camera right at least. From what i have seen so far, BMPC 4K looks so much better and GH5 looks better.

21 minutes ago, avrofilmvideo said:

Sure. Had two xt2s. Worst purchase in last 2 years.  No DR . Rubbish.  Lost money on  that Fuji crap. Photos perhas, not for video.

XT3 with log will be different, better. Here is gh5 vs Fuji xt3..

FYI xt2 has always had FLOG, externally at first but then internal via firmware upgrade.

1 hour ago, amanieux said:

"extremely good Eye-Detect AF which stays clued to a face like Dual Pixel AF does but not the ears" do you mean that xt3 has eye AF in video mode in 4k  that can remain focused on the nearest eye without hunting with a fast lens wide open under f1.8 for a head close up framing so it blurs the ears and the nose but keep the nearest eye in focus even if the person moves back and forth on a chair -  it would be the first time i see a camera with such a great video feature.

Yes eye AF is now available in video mode. The video linked in the article with the split screen shows you exactly how it works.

It isn't flawless though, you can see hunting at 0:22 and it seems a little laggy at times. it's a cool feature but i wouldn't call it a Dual Pixel AF killer.

Also don't forget this is an APS-C system with the fastest lens being the 56mm F1.2 which translates in FF DoF to a +F1.8.

Getting razor-thin DoF isn't going to be as easy as FF unless subject is standing really close.

25 minutes ago, avrofilmvideo said:

Not as scientific but it shows DR.

hahahaha... yea, not as scientific. There's hardly much DR in that shot and the GH5 still shows signs of burning the highlights.

Oh well, sounds like you are just hurt from owning two XT2s whilst having zero understanding on how to make them sing. Thankfully, for you, the GH5 is more than a capable alternative, so enjoy.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, avrofilmvideo said:

How would you know if z6 will be better then z7? I am guessing here but z6 might be using same crap sensor as Sony a7III.

Z6 has a full pixel readout at 6K in full frame.

The Z7 is pixel binning from 46MP to 4K in full frame, which results in some aliasing.

So the Z6 had an advantage there for less money.

The Z7 has the better Super 35 image (5K full pixel readout). On the Z6 the Super 35mm is a upscaled a bit.

The A7 III also has the 6K full pixel readout, certainly not crap.

The D850 and Z7 will do a very good image in 4K full frame, even with the pixel binning sensor readout. But they do have aliasing where the Z6 does not.

In all other aspects - DR, colour, rolling shutter, etc. they are almost exactly the same.

So why pay more for the Z7?

My two d850 produce amazing video images and i can go to ISO64 as well. That is another difference between z7 and z6.

I don't think they'll do ISO 64 in LOG though, which is where you'll see the most dynamic range... in LOG.

Just be cause z6 has less pixels it does not give it better image in video. It is 2018 now and processors and high megapixel sensors are far more friendly for video.

LOL. No.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

hahahaha... yea, not as scientific. 

By the sounds of it, he just slapped on the Eterna lut compared to hand grading the GH5.

The eterna lut on f-log handles at least 2 more stops in the highlights and shadows, if he'd just pushed around in post. 

Sounds like you are just hurt from owing two XT2s whilst having zero understanding on how to make them sing. Thankfully, for you, the GH5 is more than a capable alternative, so enjoy.

Thanks.

Do not own gh5 but d850s and fs7. Picking up two BMPC 4K this week. 

BTW it is not the only review on Internet. Pretty sure it will be right. Have been quite impressed with gh5s DR even if i do not own one. 2 of my cameramen are using it and results are very impressive.  Hoping to achieve same with Pocket Camera.

12 minutes ago, Django said:

FYI xt2 has always had FLOG, externally at first but then internal via firmware upgrade.

Yes eye AF is now available in video mode. The video linked in the article with the split screen shows you exactly how it works.

It isn't flawless though, you can see hunting at 0:22 and it seems a little laggy at times. 

Also don't forget this is an APS-C system with the fastest lens being the 56mm F1.2 which translates in FF DoF to a +F1.8.

Getting razor-thin DoF isn't going to be as easy as FF unless subject is standing really close

F log is there but results are not as good as GH5s.

12 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Ha, I've done my research, The bitrate Fuji implements at 200Mbps and 400Mbps exceeds the maximum for hardware acceleration (for now).

But then how is it possible that my old i7-3770 with a GTX 1080 plays the 400Mbps jellyfish sample smoothly?

I downloaded the sample from here: http://jell.yfish.us/

I used MPC-HC to play the files. 10% GPU usage and around 15% CPU. Do NLE's handle these files differently?

I am also very interested in the new Fuji but will also wait for the announcment of the new Panasonic FF, especially what kind of lens mount they will adopt.

Anyway, an XT3 with an official price around 1450 euro, the new Atomos Ninja V recorder for about 650. Add about 160 euro for a couple of SDD of 500 gb each one. With about 2300 euro you can record hours of 4k prores in 10 bit and 422 color sampling. And this in about a 2kg package with a professional and robust camera body. What a wounderful time!

41 minutes ago, avrofilmvideo said:

Whatever you are smoking , stop it. 

Why don’t you stop being an arrogant prick? You come on here sparring with the admin, trashing members’ work, behaving like you know more about sensors than god knows who. I studied photography at a top ranking school of design and worked as a photographer for a $52 billion dollar Fortune 500 company but I don’t join forums and tell the founder the camera they’re buying sucks, that Fuji is shiite and that the a7 III sensor is garbage. Why don’t you crawl back in the cave you came from?

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Why don’t you stop being an arrogant prick? You come on here sparring with the admin, trashing members’ work, behaving like you know more about sensors than god knows who. I studied photography at a top ranking school of design and worked as a photographer for a $52 billion dollar Fortune 500 company but I don’t join forums and tell the founder the camera they’re buying sucks, that Fuji is shiite and that the a7 III sensor is garbage. Why don’t you crawl back in the cave you came from?

? ?