Will Sony end the A7S line?

Andrew Reid

My prediction is even better auto focus (like eye in video), and 4k 60p (probably cropped), maybe even higher frame rates then 120fps, and a lower megapixel sensor(16mp maybe??), also there will be a 10 bit output since Canon and Nikon both have it now.

I would be shocked if they have 10 bit internal, or redone color science. Anything more then what I listed above I think would cut into their cinema camera line too much.

Lets keep an eye out for the A7000, I believe that will have 10bit 4k 60p and IBIS. If it doesn't how in the world will it compete with Fuji?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

What if they merge it into their cine series. Charge $5499 for it and put that Cine Alta badge on it. 

Cine Alta start with the F5 which is $15.000-ish? The FS-line isn’t Cine Alta and is where it would end up most likely. 

But I would love if it merged with the FS-line. As i said, an A7SIII in an FS5 body. Hell yeah!

9 minutes ago, DmitriZigany said:

Cine Alta start with the F5 which is $15.000-ish? The FS-line isn’t Cine Alta and is where it would end up most likely. 

But I would love if it merged with the FS-line. As i said, an A7SIII in an FS5 body. Hell yeah!

I rather have an F35 in an FS7 body. But its as you say not going to happen :) I do like the venice though. Only never gonna happen with my wallet.

• Administrators
On 9/16/2018 at 2:12 AM, Charbax said:

Maybe I didn't check it carefully enough. Are you sure the 4K25 isn't cropped? That would be good for me as my video editor (wevideo.com) only supports 4K25 without audio sync issue. I will definitely check and confirm if the 4K25 is not cropped then I will be filming in that all my 100+ videos with it in the 2 weeks to come.

Yes definitely 4K 25p isn't cropped. Only the 30p which is just slightly beyond the speed of the sensor for a full frame pixel readout.

By the way @Charbax Really like your YouTube ARM devices channel, long time subscriber here :)

Are you using the A7 III for the channel?

On 9/15/2018 at 7:28 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Indeed, it may not even get a 10bit codec at all and that would be a BIG mistake. It has to be there to compete with the GH5 and GH5S.

If the a7Smk3 doesn't even have 10bit output, which even the old GH4 had and now Nikon/Fijifilm/Canon have as well (!!!), then I reckon Sony shouldn't even bother to release the a7Smk3.

On 9/15/2018 at 7:38 AM, Andrew Reid said:

They will probably give it SRAW, a new Sony RAW format that only works in Vegas :) :) :)

Except Sony solid Vegas to Magix. 

"Only works in Catalyst" instead? haha

On 9/16/2018 at 6:53 AM, VanWeddings said:

Electronic ND would be a sure buy from me. Simple as that. I also assume 4k60 would be there, but internal ND will seal the deal.

With all the other advances (10bit, 4K 60fps, waveforms, TC, etc) that the other stills cameras are doing, this seems like the only likely (as internal raw or 4K 120fps etc just isn't likely from Sony this generation) way that Sony could get substantially ahead of them with a video focused a7S successor. Do that, I could possibly even forgive Sony for staying with 8bit 4K 30fps

On 9/16/2018 at 11:15 AM, DmitriZigany said:

Sony themselves have already stated that they estimate that the A7 line cannibalise around 30% of their FS-series cameras. And no wonder if they bring out silly updates like the FS5mkII. They need to start to bring some of the innovations of the A7-line to the FS-line!

Wow, I didn't think it was such a large percentage being cannibalized! 

On 9/16/2018 at 11:15 AM, DmitriZigany said:

My dream camera is an A7SIII in an FS5 body. Now with the Ninja V, I don’t even care if it does 10bit internally. Just give me a video camera body with ibis and the improved AF and full frame... (along with what the FS5 already have). I’d easily pay €7-8000 for that!

You don't care if it does 10bit internal.... so long as it has 10bit external!

On 9/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, Charbax said:

Maybe I didn't check it carefully enough. Are you sure the 4K25 isn't cropped? That would be good for me as my video editor (wevideo.com) only supports 4K25 without audio sync issue. I will definitely check and confirm if the 4K25 is not cropped then I will be filming in that all my 100+ videos with it in the 2 weeks to come.

Why not use a more mainstream NLE? Or must you edit it online?

On 9/17/2018 at 7:13 AM, zerocool22 said:

I rather have an F35 in an FS7 body. But its as you say not going to happen :) I do like the venice though. Only never gonna happen with my wallet.

I reckon give it less than 10yrs and then your wallet will be able to afford it

9 hours ago, Shield3 said:

Like I've said the very first thing is dumping the slow CDAF that's in the A7s/A7SII and implementing PDAF for better AF tracking.  Seems like video AF is on everyone's radar these days.

That’s an absolute given, don’t even know why do you mention that